The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 26, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1
JohnH1963

Home Defense Training Practice Drill

Im trying to think of some practice drills. Here they are:

1) Sitting in a chair or on the couch watching television when there sounds like someone kicking in the front door. Time your reaction with a chronograph.

2) There is a loud banging on the bedroom door at 3am and your home alone. Simulate the banging with the alarm clock going off at 3am. Then react.

3) A group of men in dark clothing are on your property. You are on the first floor and there is a second floor with bedrooms. React and time the reaction with a chronograph.

The key to the drills is to attempt retreat to a safe-room where a pistol is stored as quickly as possible. Lock yourself in the room, ready the pistol and then call the police.

What other drills can you think of?
Old December 27, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I do not feel the "key" to my plan includes retreat tactics... I am not a frenchie type.
But I have/do practice your #2 scenario. My intention is to locate and engage the home invader while remaining as covert as I can. In a real situation the wife will be calling the 911 operator when i am after the critter in the house.
Brent
Old December 27, 2008, 01:15 AM   #3
scorpion_tyr

Unfortunately the neighborhood I currently reside in isn't the best. Your #2 isn't so much a training senario, but a weekly occurance. Other good drills are sitting on the toilet or in the shower when you hear someone at the door banging/breaking in.

My wife's ex-husband decided to stop by very late one night. He was too drunk or stupid to notice the other car in the driveway and was unaware that she was seeing someone else. I heard him banging on the door while I was in the shower. I don't know if it was the gun or the sight of my pale overweight self in nothing but a small towel, but he didn't stay for very long and hasn't been back since.
Old December 27, 2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Teuthis

The most important drill you can do for home defense is firearm safety. Practice handling and manipulating the weapon while you drill into your brain that is it loaded and dangerous. Using an unloaded weapon drill keeping your finger off the trigger until you must fire the weapon. Do it over and over until it is automatic.

If you have a real crime situation potential where you live, by all means practice bring the weapon into action as well as getting to it; but drill doing it safely. What you do after you get to your firearm is much more important than how you get to it.

Drill what you are going to do after the shooting is over, so that you do not have any accidental discharges. You do need a drill to get the firearm, and yourself into a safe mode.

If you have not been in a situation where you must wield your firearm in self defense, you can have no real idea just how important the safety drill really is. If you drill enough, you could find yourself doing what you drilled instead of being out of control after an incident or shooting.
Old December 29, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5
jtmoose

I would definitely not want to search the house for someone. Not because of fear of being assaulted but I don't ever want to face a jury. I think it's best to back into a safe room in a defensive tactic rather than a semi-offense and pass any legal matters to a LEO in the eyes of a jury.
Old December 29, 2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Croz

Quote:
I would definitely not want to search the house for someone. Not because of fear of being assaulted but I don't ever want to face a jury. I think it's best to back into a safe room in a defensive tactic rather than a semi-offense and pass any legal matters to a LEO in the eyes of a jury.
Thank god for the 'castle doctrine!' (If you live in a CD state, that is...)
Old December 29, 2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Cheetah-lagra

The surprise factor

You know the inside of your home better than anyone else knows,
even when you have to move in the dark; so, use that in your advantage.
Get some starting points in the home from where you can do recon.
Never shoot at shadows or movement.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Hawaiian Eye

Here's an extension to situation #1 (but your fast asleep in the bedroom) for those of us who have a wife and children at home to protect.

At the sound of a forced or unauthorized entry, move the wife and kids to a safe room while having one of them call 911, and covering the movement.

Here's a nightmare for you. At the sound of an intruder in the home, move your wife to the kids' room (the safe room) while she calls 911. (Here's the spooky part) You go find the unaccounted child that's not in the room.

I believe clearing a house solo and untrained is a last resort move only, but sometimes you've got to be the daddy.

Really educational reads I've come across in this forum that helped me form my conclusions and probable SOPs reguarding these two scenarios.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...actical+lights

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=317285
Old December 30, 2008, 02:10 AM   #9
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
I believe clearing a house solo and untrained is a last resort move only, but sometimes you've got to be the daddy
I couldn't agree with you more! Hawaiian Eye is right on there. During a home invasion the safest place for one to be (besides not in that home) is behind cover in a room with one door, firarm pointed at door, and 911 operator on speaker phone. Clearing the house should always be a last resort, unfortunately for those of us living with other people it may become a necessitiy.

Clearing a house, or any building, is very dangerous. As soon as the BG here's movement in the house he's going to freeze. Now he's not moving, and you are. It's much easier to catch movement, especially in the dark. You might look right at the BG and not see him, but he will see you. Even for those of us that are trained on how to do it, it's should still be a last resort when it comes to home defense.

Anyone who owns a firearm for home defense should practice clearing their home in both daylight and at night with all combination of different lights on and off. Just draw you unloaded weapon and walk around the house. Start in different rooms each time. Look for the imaginary BG. Also practice when to shoot and when not to.
Old December 30, 2008, 10:34 PM   #10
JohnH1963

I have read the above responses and here are a few points to consider:

The person at your door or in your home has made a brave decision to be there. They will probably be moving very fast through the situation with lot of energy and will be much more rested then yourself. You will most likely be tired or in a comprising situation; i.e. in bed or shower. From the time you hear the noise to the point you are in front of danger may be no more then 5 seconds.

When you are in bed, the pistol needs to be so close that it can be readied to fire within 3 seconds. Basically, the pistol should be loaded at all times.

Even the strongest of doors can only take 2-3 good hits which might slow the burglar down by as much as 3-5 seconds. If the door in the hallway is strong and your bedroom door is strong then that will give them 6-10 seconds. Running up through the house to you is another 3-5 seconds. 9-15seconds until you confront the threat.

Those who decide to take down the door while you are obviously awake inside the house are the bravest of them all. Fortunately, few of us will ever ecounter such a situation.
Old December 31, 2008, 11:44 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Take a good FOF class as compared to solitary drills. The fun just starts when you reach for the gun.

Absolute RT to the gun is the least of the issues.