The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 29, 2006, 06:36 PM   #26
Dean C

Wild,
I know you're an ICON here, but I've got to say either you didn't call 911 because of some extra beverages or my BS meter is still working.
dean
Pro 2A Washington (Charter Member)
Old July 29, 2006, 06:42 PM   #27
Wildalaska

Nope last night was booze free, totally......

WildnowtonightisdifferentAlaska
Old July 29, 2006, 07:02 PM   #28
Epyon

Glad you're safe...

You did right, if you were in Florida, the "right-to-shoot" law would've allowed you to shoot him even if you weren't on your own property. How are Alaska's laws about shooting anyway? If you're on your property (be it business or home.) do you have to retreat first, or can you stand you ground?

Epywhydoyoutypeweirdsentencesinyournameon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old July 29, 2006, 07:23 PM   #29
tshadow6

a good day

You did the right thing. You made it home in one piece. Some folks may say you should have done this or that, but they wern't there. Every day above ground is a good day.
Old July 29, 2006, 07:23 PM   #30
Bender711

Benbecausethatswhathedoesder
Old July 29, 2006, 07:32 PM   #31
razorburn

razorbutitmakesithardtoreadburn.
Old July 29, 2006, 07:34 PM   #32
cpaspr

Good Job WA

Given the situation, disparity of size, age and physical ability, and the fact that you were backed up with no retreat possible - one more step from the perp and I'd shoot.

Years ago, had two guys force their way into my apartment. Both bigger, older, meaner (I was 22-23, 5'8", 142#). Found out later one was a semi-pro fighter. What's semi-pro anyway? Is that like being semi-pregnant? But I digress.

My watchband broke and cut my wrist when I rolled out of the first guy's grip. (Stupid me, tried to push them back out.) I back pedalled while telling them to leave, that they didn't belong there. Had a hunting knife on the bookshelf as a letter opener. I had determined that if they took one more step or reached for that knife I was turning and jetting down the hall. I could clear the bed in one jump, and there was a loaded .22 under the mattress. I would have shot if they'd have followed. By the grace of God, they realized they had the wrong apartment (my bookshelves had books, not booze bottles like my neighbor).

Sometimes, you're just one step away from a trigger pull and you know that that is all it will take. Sometimes ya gotta pull it, sometimes you don't. Glad ya didn't have to.

Epyon

Why does he type in the middle of his name? Cause that's his trademark.

CPAandIforonewouldmissitifheeverstopsdoingitSPR
Old July 29, 2006, 07:42 PM   #33
springmom

Quote:
Nope last night was booze free, totally......

WildnowtonightisdifferentAlaska
I certainly would HOPE SO!!!!!

Spring'causeifanybodyprobablyneedsadrinkyoudoafterthatmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old July 29, 2006, 08:04 PM   #34
Blackwater OPS

Justifiable shoot, size and age of your attacker plus a reasonable suspicion that he under the influence of narcotics.

Funny though, I thought you gave up carry? Glad you changed your mind.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old July 29, 2006, 08:17 PM   #35
Lycanthrope

I had that happen once and my only thought (despite my 4" Kimber Compact) was that .....I wish I had a bigger gun.

I can't imagine that with a Seacamp.

Lycchallengemetappropriatelyandeveryonewenthomethrope
Old July 29, 2006, 08:26 PM   #36
Gunfighter45cal

That's what I was referring to earlier. I've done this numerous times and ALWAYS wished I had a bigger gun; be it with an J frame, 1911, or even an M4 or shotgun.
Old July 29, 2006, 08:45 PM   #37
garryc

Quote:
My CCW instructor here in OK said that before one can pull a handgun he/she should have already been assaulted. Specifically, I'm on the ground with a bloody nose and the attacker is kicking me.
Thats very close to the way it is in certain counties in ohio
Old July 29, 2006, 08:50 PM   #38
Roberta X

Well done, WA, and I am glad it didn't come to gunfire.

...The ratio of having to fire vs. the BG deciding he's got other things to do is supposedly about 1 in ten, so the outcome's not unexpected. It's chillin' either way.

Girl Gunblogger: The Adventures Of Roberta X
Old July 29, 2006, 09:28 PM   #39
Edward429451

If he would have kept coming I think you should have shot him. Anyone who advances on a drawn weapon can certainly be reasonably assumed to be intent on doing you harm or worse. Plus with the disparity of force, no way you should let a big bruiser get close or ahold of you! Yay teeny Seecamp. (right where he would've expected your wallet to be!) You don't have to be a punching bag for anyone.

Now then, Mr. PC...you know the PC thing to do was to call the cops. Shame Shame.

I know why you didn't. Underneath all your PCness, you got a streak of the stubborn American pride. Your freudian slip is showing...

Glad you're OK.
Old July 29, 2006, 09:38 PM   #40
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Wild, I know exactly how you felt. Glad ya didn't have to shoot.

And yeah, I know why you wanted to talk to spiff... Me, I had a live cop there. We both talked it through.
Old July 29, 2006, 09:52 PM   #41
Holman

Quote:
You did the right thing. You made it home in one piece. Some folks may say you should have done this or that, but they weren't there. Every day above ground is a good day.
+1 well said!

Holman
Old July 29, 2006, 09:58 PM   #42
Al.40cal

Great job WA! You and him are alive and just maybe that POS learned a lesson in trying to take advantage of someone!

"You think you got enough.....?"
"Brotha you can never have enough!"
Old July 29, 2006, 10:34 PM   #43
cen

Good job

Now I've got buddies who say " If I draw my gun, I'm going to shoot, that's the only reason to draw it". I disagree. In your specific situation you avoided numerous awful situations by not firing. Hey, if the guy leaves, GREAT, did you WANT to shoot him, hell no. But If he kept coming, you were ready. Who knows what kind of weapons he may have had, or maybe he was on crack or meth, who knows. I like the fact that most of the time, the presence of a weapon, stops the altercation entirely.
Old July 29, 2006, 11:50 PM   #44
Series 70

Glad you didn't have to shoot, but it's good that you were prepared. Did you have a light handy? You didn't say, but it seems like one would have certainly been handy.
Old July 30, 2006, 12:25 AM   #45
CelticMP

close encounter

Glad you didnt have to shoot WA. Sticky situation... do i? or dont i?. and then in the morning it is what if ?and why didnt i? but enough about the psychology of it. glad you are ok and that he decided to retreat instead of forcing your hand ( no pun intended ). besides if you went to jail <not saying you would have> but IZinter and IZhum and bunch of other people would have to shop elsewhere for discount firearms and that would break thier hearts . oh yeah and you being in jail would suck too
Old July 30, 2006, 12:37 AM   #46
symr00

Glad you're ok but pulling a handgun on an unarmed man is a crime even if he did want to kick your ass. This is the exact reason I carry OC while carrying a handgun off-duty. Maybe you're a woman or a feeble old man and I apologize if that's the case as you would have been justified. I'm with the others that agree you should have called the cops. That guy could have called them and you would have been taken to jail most likely for assault. He also could have been looking to rob/rape or kill someone and after he left your home, looked for a better victim. Calling the cops may have stopped him from hurting another person.
Old July 30, 2006, 12:58 AM   #47
leadcounsel

Are you SURE he wasn't armed with something, like a tire iron or a stick or even a big rock....

Seriously though, I'm not sure about Alaska, but most states only require that you were in fear of your life from imminent serious bodily harm. Does Alaska require a duty to retreat?
Old July 30, 2006, 12:59 AM   #48
'75Scout

How long was your adrenaline pumping? If it were me I would have enough adrenaline in my system to flip over my truck til dinner time.

You handled it well. You gave him a chance to stop and saved his life by drawing when you did. Any closer and you would have had to pop him. My thoughts are the same as mentioned before. No weapon and far enough away I'd hold the fire for a moment. Any weapon in sight and its the OK Coral. Even more so if family is present, because retreating is even harder.

Although I would have called the cops for the reason that he might have placed a call too. And definatly wait to talk to LEOs if you have to shoot until you talk to your lawyer.
Old July 30, 2006, 01:02 AM   #49
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
Glad you're ok but pulling a handgun on an unarmed man is a crime even if he did want to kick your ass.
Not always, and probably not in this case.

Quote:
This is the exact reason I carry OC while carrying a handgun off-duty.
Do you carry cuffs and a radio as well? (Not that carrying OC is a bad idea)

Quote:
He also could have been looking to rob/rape or kill someone and after he left your home, looked for a better victim. Calling the cops may have stopped him from hurting another person.
Because they could charge him with what, walking at someone in a parking lot?
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old July 30, 2006, 01:16 AM   #50
PATH

WildAlaska,

You exhibited good ol' common sense in your confrontation with this individual. Disparate size and age made you a target. Presenting your firearm saved that idiots life and prevented you from getting hurt.

If you had to make a decision to shoot I am sure it would have been as a last resort. I guess in the end it is one of those "you had to be there" sort of things. Tough call. I'm sure glad you are okay though!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Closed Thread