The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Relayer

Hammer falls when safety lock released

This is a very serious problem.

I had my Series 70 Colt Gov't model .45ACP worked on years ago and I have discovered a really unsafe condition that may have resulted from that work (although I don't know how what I had done could have caused my problem. I put the safety lock is safe position, and try to pull the trigger. All is well. When I then press down and release the lock the hammer falls as if I had pulled the trigger!

Is it possible that this is due to improper re-assembly? Anyone know a good gunsmith in Atlanta metro area (preferably west side or Cobb County area).

Thanks much.
Old January 26, 2005, 05:50 AM   #2
mete

First thing is to learn to assemble the gun. It isn't difficult since it's a military design and various books and videos are available. When assembled properly, if it still is a problem get it repaired it's a serious safety problem.
Old January 26, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3
brickeyee

Have the grip safety checked. The nose may be broken off.
Old January 27, 2005, 04:22 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Here is what I think is happening. Your safety is not keeping the sear totally immobile as it should, so when you pull the trigger, the sear can move out of engagement with full cock notch of the hammer. The hammer can't fall because the half moon cut in the bottom part of the hammer is resting on the internal stud part of the safety. When the safety is pushed down, the hammer is freed and will drop into the half-cock notch (or the safety shelf if it is the new type hammer).

In the 1911, the safety must totally block the sear so it cannot move.

Repair may consist of replacing the sear, the hammer, or the safety, or all three depending on what has been done to the parts. The grip safety should not be involved.

Jim
Old January 30, 2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Relayer

Thanks for the replies. I need to find a good smithy. Too critical for me to try and replace myself, I think. Probably be cheaper too, unless I got lucky on my first guess (as too which part was the culprit).

Thanks again.
Old February 14, 2005, 04:21 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

trigger/safety problem

Dear Shooter:
Jim has hit on it, I'm sure. Your safety isn't fit correctly.