The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 31, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1
cptmclark

Rem 700 bolt and magazine.

My 700 adl in 30-06 is my primary hunting rifle. I also like to shoot from the bench, and notice the bolt rotates on sear release. Very little, but a slight roll to the right as the pin moves forward (handle moves down a hair). It feels like there is a lot going on in that bolt, and I wonder if it just has a heavy pin and slow lock time. It's enough that I can not hold the cross hairs completely still on target when dry firing the rifle. Maybe 3/8 " movement on target at 100 yards. That's a lot. Is this normal for the model, or can I fix it?

Also, the blind magazine follower has started not lifting the rim high enough to be picked up by the bolt. The front of the cartridge comes up just fine. Is that likely just a weak spring, or is there something more sinister going on?

Thank you for all help and ideas.

Mike
Old February 1, 2012, 12:35 AM   #2
NESHOOTER

Mike, I would say it's your trigger that has you pulling off target even dry firing and, then I first just inspect the mag well to ensure its not binding on the follower.
Old February 1, 2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Scorch

Slight bolt movement when the striker falls is not unusual.
Old February 1, 2012, 07:15 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The magazine follower could be binding, or the action screws are loose and allowing the magazine spring to get between the magazine box and the stock. But NOTE, please. If you remove the stock on that gun, be very careful in reassembly. If the magazine sping does slip between the magazine box and the stock, tightening the action screws will crack the stock.

Jim