The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2010, 11:21 AM   #1
greensleep

ball depth in chamber

I've recently purchased my first black powder revolvers and have not yet been able to get out to shoot, but have disassembled and cleaned each and then loaded each. My question is: according to each thing I've read about loading the ball should be only about an eighth of an inch below the rim of the cylinder, but mine are seated about a half and inch or so below the rim. Am I missing something in my loading, is this depth too deep for safely firing, I am using a bp load of 25 grains, a felt wad, and then the ball.?

Last edited by greensleep; December 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old December 12, 2010, 11:44 AM   #2
zippy13

It's important there are no voids between the powder and the ball. As long as the ball is well seated, then you're okay. If it bothers you, you could use a double wad. This all assumes your powder volume is correct -- how are you metering your powder?

Edit:
Have you visited the black powder forum? There's a sticky all about shooting BP revolvers.

Last edited by zippy13; December 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old December 12, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3
greensleep

ball depth

Thanks Zippy13, that gives me a little more peace of mind. I'll be going to the range to shoot this week. I use a calibrated powder measure that measures from 5 to 45 grains, set to 25.
Old December 12, 2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Ozzieman

zippy13 +1

Did they give you a max load for your gun? And what caliber and manufacture is it?
My guess is that they were trying to make sure you don’t seat to shallow which will keep the cylinder from turning.
As zippy13 said the most important thing is that there is no gap between powder and ball.
I personally don’t use felt wads. I just load the ball and place grease over the top. Many people prefer the felt wads, I just don’t care for the hassle.
Old December 18, 2010, 09:21 AM   #5
greensleep

thanks

Ozzieman;
thanks for the reply. I've been advised the max load is 35 grains for my guns.