The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2010, 08:22 AM   #1
cwsanfor

Hornady Microjust Seating Stem questions

I just got a Hornady Microjust Seating Stem, and I have questions about its use.

1) It replaces the stock seating stem adjuster, but does one use the seater lock nut and washer from the stock part (parts E and F at http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...stom_grade.pdf) with the Microjust?

2) Since the numbers (0.01, 0.02, etc.) on the Microjust don't have an absolute reference point, do you start from a known OAL (like 1.169 for 9mm) and just use the Microjust numbers to provide +/_ differences? In other words, do you still start with a dummy cartridge of known length and shorten it by screwing in the Microjust? I guess I thought it would have some absolute reference, but upon reflection, that would require that the distance between the Microjust and the bottom of the shell plate be fixed and known, which it might not be from one press to another.

3) Anyone tried to make the numbers on the Microjust more visible, say by filling them with paint or crayon?

4) Any other tips on using the Microjust are welcome.

Thanks.
Old December 15, 2010, 09:51 AM   #2
F. Guffey

As long as I have a height gage, depth micromerer or a dial caliper All of my seater dies are adjustable in thousands, the difference? I use transfers and standards.

F. Guffey
Old December 15, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3
k4swb

The seater comes with its own "built-in nut." I don't use the extra that came with the original seater nor do I use the rubber washer. I screw the micro seater into the die body, metal to metal finger tight.
When I get a bullet seated to my liking, I make a note of the mic reading for THAT bullet and the next time I load those bullets I have a reading to go back to.
I didn't NEED the micro seater but it makes it a little easier to repeat settings for me.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:52 AM   #4
wogpotter

I have one & use it exclusively.
What I do is to make a "master bullet" for each setup I create. They have no powder or primer, but are otherwise a good quality sample of how I made that load. The case neck is smeared lightly internally with epoxy to lock the projectile in place. I use "old" brass (stuff I wouldn't re-load another time) for this & for making action proving dummies so it only costs me for the actual bullet to make up a set.

I use either a digital caliper for OAL, or a caliper with a gauge that allows me to set the actual bullet-to-rifling distance to set this load up, depending on what purpose I'm reloading for. To reset for that load again I just set up the dies to contact the master case, or in the case of the Microjust Seating Stem to contact the bullet tip firmly.

I also use the built-in locknut directly against the die top surface.

Do Not use any oils/WD-40 or similar on the seater, the scale is a stick-on label & the adhesive will dissolve if you do.

Last edited by wogpotter; December 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old February 1, 2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Sandman799

Really your scale on your microadjust adapter is a sticker? Mine is ins dived on the stem and the micrometer so there’s no way oils or anything would make them come off from mine, so it’s weird your will
Old February 1, 2018, 12:24 PM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
Really your scale on your microadjust adapter is a sticker?
I was repairing a RCBS scale with a 10-10 type beam, My wife wanted to get involved so she decide the bean needed cleaned. No way to know what she used but it was not compatible to the beam, when she returned all of the numbers and scales were missing.

I got lucky, the next gun show I attended had parts, lots of parts for scales. I purchased enough parts to build another scale with one beam left over.

I did call RCBS for stick-on decals, they insisted I send the scale back to them, I had no interest in trading so I thanked them, they did sent the small decal.

F. Guffey

And I told them my wife did it, not a good ideal. Many years ago I told them my elephant stepped on 'it', after that I asked them if they wanted me to number the excuses,