The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2010, 09:20 AM   #1
darkgael

Ithaca Century Trap 12 ga.

Need some opinions about the Ithaca Century Trap guns made by SKB. I've seen a couple of them "used" and very affordable. Looks like a nice gun.
Opinions?
Pete
Old August 4, 2010, 10:34 AM   #2
zippy13

Good quality for the money. They were popular on the trap lines in the 1970's, but you don't see many of them these days. Ithaca has imported some nice guns, Perazzis first came to the US as Ithaca imports; but, they were from Italy not SKB's Japan.

For a Century Trap 1 in decent condition (some minor dings and pitting) expect to pay in neighborhood of $400 to 500. Acutionarms.com had one last June with a starting bid of $530 and there were no offers. For a similar Japanese gun from the same period, the Browning BT-99s seem to have held their value a lot better than the SKBs. Also, there's the question of service and parts for the SKB.

Pete, my friend, the big question is: does this particular gun fit you like a glove? You might be happier with a more contemporary gun with an adjustable stock.
Old August 4, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3
BigJimP

I see very few of them around / but that doesn't mean they're bad guns ...just not very popular / at least in my area.

Like Zippy said / the price is attractive ...but I don't know how well they will hold up to 10,000 shells - or 20,000 ...etc ...but that also depends on how much Trap you intend to shoot with it....and for that price it may be a heck of a deal.

If you want a single barrel Trap gun / I agree with Zippy the Browning
BT-99's or the older BT-100's seem to be holding their value a lot better but the most popular gun I see on the Trap fields is an Over Under, a Browning XT in 32". Trap shooters are a superstitioius group ....and if they have a bad month ....they change guns a lot ! There just always seems to be at least a dozen trap guns for sale - everywhere I go ...
Old August 4, 2010, 11:43 AM   #4
darkgael

Ithaca

Quote:
You might be happier with a more contemporary gun with an adjustable stock.
I was thinking along similar lines.
I knew that I could count on you fellows for usable info. The price is attractive but....
There are at least a couple of BT-99s available for not much more - I have time.
I'm shooting my field guns now, cycling through the 12s and the 20s. I'm thinking that a dedicated Trap gun would be nice.
Not to rush, though.
Pete
Old August 4, 2010, 01:06 PM   #5
BigJimP

I'm not a big Trap shooter ....but it really comes down to what you like in terms of barrel length, weight of the gun, etc ....

we're all different ....but for me, in Trap, I like an O/U with 32" barrels and a weight of around 10lbs. So I shoot a Browning XT - 32" with a GraCoil system in it. I have a beautiful BT-100 as well ...but I just don't shoot it much / because I like the weight and the feel of the XT better. Sometimes is just comes down to the little things ....(and its good not to be in a rush) ....the XT I shoot the most, I bought used as well ...a few yrs ago for around $2,500 I think ...and its been a great gun with a nice upgraded stock on it that I like very much.

I actually have 2 XT's - but only the one with the GraCoil in it ....

Attachment 61928

Last edited by BigJimP; July 24, 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old August 4, 2010, 01:46 PM   #6
zippy13

I don't have as large a collection of shotguns as my friend BigJimP. My club shoots singles, handicap and doubles trap events. So when it came time to upgrade my R-1100 Trap model, I opted for a trap combo (single and double barrels on one action). The gun came with a fixed stock, so I had it fitted with a Shockmaster unit that reduces recoil and provides some adjustment.
Old August 4, 2010, 02:57 PM   #7
BigJimP

bring about "$40K cash" when you come up Zippy.....

I know a couple of places where we can add to your collection .....it would be fun to spend your money ...

(but don't get the idea he has no guns / he has some fine guns ...) ....I just have an attention deficit problem ...and chase shiny new objects ...and some of them follow me home ....(its not my fault).
Old August 4, 2010, 03:27 PM   #8
oneounceload

ZIPPY!

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya - you don't have a P-model trapper set or at least a Ljutic unsingle?????????

The world must be coming to an end..............Lordy, get ready for Judgement Day...............................

I know, you must have a Fabbri on order, or maybe a Bertuzzi........

TELL ME IT AIN'T SO!...........................
Old August 4, 2010, 03:30 PM   #9
BigJimP

I think he's holding out on us OneOunce .... I don't think I believe it ...( there must be more in the safe than he's admitting too ...)

maybe even an Ithaca / SKB ...
Old August 4, 2010, 07:18 PM   #10
darkgael

Ljutic, Fabbri, Bertuzzi, Perazzi.......you guys. Maybe a Browning...the rest would be lust and fantasy. (Piotti....do they make a Trap gun?).

I just say, though, that I am continually amazed at the quality of the guns that I see being used by the other fellows......I'm shooting my field guns at this point. They sure ain't.
Pete
Old August 4, 2010, 08:18 PM   #11
zippy13

Pete, 1-oz, and BigJim
Nope, I don't have one of those upscale trappers. As I've said before, move up a gun when the one you have is limiting your progress. I felt I was limited by the R-1100 TA and moved up to a combo. I never shot enough trap to feel that the Beretta 682 combo was restricting me.

On the other hand, I was more serious about Skeet shooting. I'd never been able to better a 98 with my old W-101. It seemed like the gun would do something strange to cost me a bird or two in each 100. After upgrading to a Perazzi, I soon shot my first registered 100-straight. And, like BigJim's shiny bevy of Brownings, a few more P-guns followed me home (it's not my fault).
Old August 4, 2010, 09:08 PM   #12
oneounceload

Aw now Zipster - just funnin' with ya

actually, a friend of mine is/was a major skeeter - he was an alternate to the US Olympic Skeet team for several years and a coach and is now a major gun writer and he used to wear out 1100's and 303's for years to the point they sent him new receivers.

To the OP - use those grand guns and enjoy them, they look like they have a ton of life in them.................

I met Dan Orlich when I lived in the Reno area - his Ljutic is serial number 1, it had over 1,000,000 rounds through it, and it still shot like nothing you have ever seen (I'm sure the owner had something to do with that), so shoo those guns and have a great time - they'll take it...........
Old August 9, 2010, 01:51 AM   #13
olddrum1

The Century Trap 1 is not representative of the quality of the newer shotguns put out by SKB. To describe this shotgun as problematic would be kind.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:52 AM   #14
zippy13

Olddrum1, my friend, you're correct as usual. It's easy to forget that there are some "problematic" guns out there. I knew several Skeeters who were fond of their R-3200s, but were tired of carrying a supply of replacement parts with their kit -- they eventually went with K-80s. What do you think of the Century Trap 2 -- better gun or band-aid fix?
Old August 9, 2010, 04:40 PM   #15
olddrum1

Z13 my friend, I think the CT-2 was a better gun but its kind of like rebadging a Pinto. Once word is out. The CT-1 had issues with the firing pin, Springs, and the area around the firing pin hole being softer than it should have been leading to accelarated wear. Your correct in the comparison with the 3200. Some of these guns would give decent service but I would not buy another or recommend it to anyone else.
Old August 10, 2010, 01:18 PM   #16
darkgael

so.....

So....whether it's worthwhile - doesn't sound like it - depends on whether it is a CT-1 or a CT-2.
Is that correct.
Is there any visual way to tell which version a particular specimen is?

Pete