The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 14, 1998, 07:19 AM   #1
Blues

Curious to see what other forum members are carrying as part of their personal daily gear.

For example, I carry a Glock 26 every day, sometimes a Glock 19.
I carry in any combination of methods, depending on dress or situational requirements, which include:

Galco Ankle Glove
Eagle Weapons Fanny Pack
IWB or Belt Slide Kydex Holsters from Ky-Tac
Eagle Mk III SAS holster (thigh rig)

I always carry at least one knife, lately a large Sebenza, but sometimes a smaller blade as well.

For around the area in casual clothing in hot South FL weather, a neck knife may come in handy.

Well, you guys get the idea. Let's hear about your daily "mission essential" gear whether it be "on the job" or just walking around.

Blues

Old October 14, 1998, 01:04 PM   #2
Mark THG

I tend to carry either a Glock 19 or 30. Sometimes I carry an officers 1911. I can use virtually any holster form my line. Visit my web site http://www.gunsandgold.com
Old October 14, 1998, 04:02 PM   #3
Kodiac

I pack my HK USP .40 in a Galco Concealable. Which makes my big ugly HK dissapear even when under a light shirt. The one thing that always goes with me, even into the post office when my gun can't, is one of my little pocket knives. I have several. Emerson Commander, Spyderco Police, CRKT KISS and the STIFF KISS around my neck some times, Benchmade Sentinel, Benchmade AFCK, or EK Agent boot knife. I ALWAYs have a blade with me when I am wearing clothes. I buy about 10 knives to every gun I get. Call me Sick in the head - thats good ammo money I'm spending! I know, but when I shoot, I have a student in tow, and he or she has bought my ammo aka Class Material Fee ( basically all I charge, because some people feel strange taking a class that doesn't cost anything ).
Old October 14, 1998, 07:06 PM   #4

Blues! Glad to see you here!

I used to carry a neat little LWS32, tucked just behind my wallet, until a very dear friend fell in lust over it and cajoled me to part with it. Now I usually carry an Officer's Model or 1991A1 Compact tucked in my belt, cross-draw or small of my back, depending on my activity. Sometimes, when I'm actually wearing a jacket, I'll use an old Jackass rig (now called a Galco Miami Vice). When I'm putzing around in the north woods or one of the two continental divides, I'm fond of an old S&W 1955 that sports a 625 cylinder in .45 Colt. This also goes in a Galco MV, or an old Safariland 101.

I too am a staunch believer in carrying blades. Usually a Victrinox (sp) Camper (circa 80) and a large Sebenza.

Also have a distrust of dark places, so have always carried a mini-mag, and lately a Sure Fire
Old October 14, 1998, 07:41 PM   #5
Blues

Mykl,

Thanks for the welcome.

Sounds like you're well prepared.

I have a Sure-Fire 6z in the gun bag, but I take that out as needed.

I always keep a couple of the photon micro-lights in my pockets for anytime use.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Kodiac,

I own several of the same knives. My large Sebenza is my newest, but I tend to rotate my knives on a daily basis for the fun of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow is "qualifications" day for this quarter, so at least I get to go out and play for a few hours.

Blues
Old October 16, 1998, 08:19 AM   #6
Kodiac

A different knife every day, me too... but I found I have been wearing certain knives with different outfits... My wife not so gently pointed it out to me not too long ago, that I am worse than she is with me wardrobe, matching shoes, boots, belts, holsters, sheaths... but then cover it up with a jacket or loose shirt. She was very amused, saying, she dressed up to show off, I dressed up, to just hide every thing. That made a good point. W need to make sure we always be very careful to DRESS UP, just right... some out fits cover up some of my rigs better than others... have to remember which garb hides which gear best.
Old October 16, 1998, 09:50 AM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Firearms: Gunsite Colt LW Officer's, Gunsite Colt LW Commander, Glock 29 or Glock 27, in order of frequency. One spare mag.

Edged tools: Mad Dog Pygmy ATAK II or large Sebenza in order of frequency; sometimes both.

Light Sources: Photon micro, Surefire 3Z, Surefire 6Z, in order of frequency.

When attending church, weddings, funerals and HCI functions (not!): Just the Mad Dog MiniShrike.

When in foreign countries (like MA, NY and CA): Just a Mad Dog Panther or Cheetah and CaneMasters Cane.

When on motorcycle: Add one Leatherman Wave or Swisstool.
Rich
Old October 16, 1998, 04:02 PM   #8
Blues

Rich,

I knew we were friends for a reason.

Blues

Kodiac,

Liked your response. That is so true.
Old October 16, 1998, 04:24 PM   #9
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Blues- Great minds think alike?

Mykl: And might I say the Seecamp you've referenced (the one that used to belong to you), fits right nice in my wallet pocket.
Silver tongued devil that I am!

Rich
Old October 16, 1998, 04:27 PM   #10
Rob Pincus

I rely heavily on my truck.
I keep the flashlight, an extra firearm (lately a Ruger Speed Six, I don't care if it gets rusty in my glovebox.. it'll still work) extra mags for my Glock .40s, basic tools, a buck knife, and often a shotgun behind the seat in there.

Depending on what I am wearing Iwill usually carry one of three rigs:

1. Glock 23 or 30 in either a Galco SOB, bladetech RH hip, either company's IWB holster holster or a Yaqui Slide.

2. Beretta single action .25 in the pocket when I have no other options.

3. Clark Caspian Meltdown .40 S&W in a Galco Yaqui Slide.

When I'm on my motorcycle I carry a Beretta Tomcat .32 in the breast pocket of my riding jacket with an Ahern pocket holster to keep the right end up.

of course, I have been known to slip a Colt Mustang or a PPK in a shoulder holster for formal affairs, loaded with Glasers, lest I overpentrate and wound the rich & famous.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-13-98).]
Old October 16, 1998, 04:38 PM   #11
Blues

Darn, I didn't even talk about what I carry on my motorcycle, not that it changes much.

The Eagle Weapons Fanny Pack shines on the motorcycle, allowing quick access to Glock or blade of choice.

Good to know we have fellow riders here, Rich.

Blues
Old October 17, 1998, 02:59 AM   #12
deshongx2

I'm new here so bear with me. I tend to carry one gun for daily wear,these days it's a Glock 21 with the grip reduced to match the 30. I will still carry the 30 at times. Knives are a spyderco rescue, spyderco wayne goddard, gerber bolt action and a mini leatherman. The last two do the mundane chores. Then theres the min-imag and the 6z. All of the above, every day. My wife complains it takes me longer to get ready for the quick store run than the run itself. But a least I know well get back home. Oh yeah, can't forget the kuboton!
Old October 17, 1998, 10:54 AM   #13
Hilton

Every day I carry a Glock 23 in a Mad Dog Kydex Thumb Break holster or occasionally in a Safariland 3004 holster. If an occasion warrants dressing a certain way, I'll sometimes carry a G26/27 in an Alessi Ankle holster or Eagle Weapons Pack.

For a knife, I usually carry a Mad Dog Mirage X Operator in my right front pocket or an Emerson Commander. I always have my Leatherman PSTII and a Spyderco Experimental II (as a money clip) with me.

I keep a Photon Microlight on my keychain, and typically have a Surefire 3P, 6P, or 6Z readily available.

Blues, unless you want something swinging around and bopping you in the chest every time you move, I'd avoid all but the tiniest of neck knives.
Old October 17, 1998, 11:02 AM   #14
Blues

Hi Hilton,

Nice to see you here, bud.

Hilton, I have fallen in love with the La Griffe I picked up (by Fred Perrin).

What a great little neck knife. You can see them in the article regarding Perrin in the current Knives Illustrated.

I have one that is a little longer than the shape shown (a semi tanto is what I'd call it) and the grip is phenomenal. This little gem is sharp and tough.

Also, it is hardly noticeable due to its flat shape and skeletonized handle.

The hole for the forefinger makes the grip very secure.

Have you seen or tried one? I think you'd like it.

Not for every occasion, but lends itself well to South Florida climes.

(I wrote a short review on the two knife/blade forums).

Blues

[This message has been edited by Blues (edited 10-17-98).]
Old October 17, 1998, 10:21 PM   #15
Doc

Daily carry: SIG220/Jim Burke pancake, work or play.
Old October 19, 1998, 02:53 PM   #16
byerly

A glock 23 riding in a blade-tech iwb with spare mag. I just got a taylor t-bolt that I'll start using when it gets colder. Also a benchmade emerson cqc7 or sentinel. Trying to get the wife to buy me a surefire 6-z for christmas. byerly
Old October 20, 1998, 03:54 PM   #17
Kodiac

Does blade tech make an IWB for an HK USP full size 40?
Old October 20, 1998, 07:25 PM   #18
Kodiac

I was thinking about holsters here and I really cant think of a better maker for civilian carry than Galco for leather. Galcos give you the best value - high quality for less money. But for duty carry - a different world - Safariland is unbeateble. There holsters are the best quality while at the same time, affordable, functional, and sharp looking. They have anew self locking mechanism - a hood instead of a thumbreak. It is really cool and easy to use. If your on a department that lets you choose your own gear - look at those. Awesome
Old October 26, 1998, 12:37 PM   #19
chargar

I don't carry knives...The Texas CCW permit does not include knives and Texas has some restrictive laws about knives intented for offensive or defensive use.

I carry at Glock 23 and spare clip in a DeSantis black nylon attatche case. This is usually with arms reach. I also have a Walter PPH in a Karmer pocket holster in the attatche case which goes into the side pocket of my pants when I am seperated from the Glock.

I realize that I am not a walking weapons vault but I have a low level of paranoia and stay away from low life people and the places they hang out.
Old October 27, 1998, 05:29 PM   #20
Mute

An Allen Elishewitz Shadow goes with me everywhere as does a Surfire 6Z.

When I do bring a firearm, usually a Combat Commander or Govt. 45ACP in a Bianchi Askin Avenger with a DeSantis double mag pouch, unless I have a somewhat short jacket, in which case I use a Galco Miami shoulder rig.

Tried the Galco NSA, but didn't like the angle and the leather was just a bit too thick for comfort for an IWB, at least to me. YMMV.

[This message has been edited by Mute (edited 10-27-98).]
Old October 28, 1998, 02:26 PM   #21
Richard Padgett

Just joined The Firimg Line specifically to play this game.

In the House:
S&W 642 and Applegate-Covert in Cargo pocket shorts

Out of the house:
Glock G23 in Glock Sport-Slide, spare mag. and Applegate-Covert (Open carry here in AZ as I don't have my CCW yet.)

My wife thinks it's "sexy" when I strap on all my "social hardware" just for a run to the store for milk.
Old October 30, 1998, 02:26 AM   #22
ShadedDude

Ok...I'm a little late on this one...

HK USP 40 Compact either a SOB rig that Mark THG made for me, or a Conceal X high ride that I made while playing with some knife sheaths.

Knife is an Applegate Covert, it has its own place on the SOB holster, with the other lately I have been sliding it in my back pocket next to my wallet.

Old October 30, 1998, 05:49 PM   #23
TAZ

Kimber Custom Compact and a Benchmade Stryker. The Stryker goes everywhere while I sometimes have to make due without the Kimber. Modes of carry depend on outfit and include Blade Tech IWB, with spare mag and 6P in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, Bianchi Fanny Pack, Galco Miami Classic.

As for not being able to carry a knife in TX, If I remember the law correctly anything (not automatic) with a blade length less than 4.5 in. is legal. Will have to check the lenght tonight to make sure though.
Old November 8, 1998, 12:01 AM   #24
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

Glock M19,M26 or S&W 642 in a custom belt scabbards or IWBs.
Spare mag or speedloader in pouch or pocket.
(Got a bitchen alligator dual mag pouch in progress I'll send you a picture of Rich)
Spyderco Police.
Surefire 3p or 6p.
Old November 8, 1998, 09:02 AM   #25
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Looking forward to seeing the latest in the Tony N Steely Eyed Dealer of Death reptilian accessories .
Rich