The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 2, 2000, 12:05 PM   #1
beherethen

What is the law regarding using pistol grips as opposed to regular stock?
Old July 2, 2000, 02:59 PM   #2
Monkeyleg

beherethen: Under the '94 "assault weapon" ban, a pistol grip is one of the evil features that can make a gun illegal. If you have a semi-automatic shotgun, you cannot add another evil feature if your shotgun already has one of the following: a bayonet lug, a barrel shroud, a magazine tube with a capacity of more than five shells, a folding stock, a threaded barrel, or an engraving of the likeness of Senator Diane Feinstein on the receiver. There may be a couple of other features I've forgotten, but you can't exceed one evil feature unless the gun was manufactured prior to '94.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old July 2, 2000, 05:00 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sigh....

To the best of my knowledge, Federal law says that a shotgun must have at least an 18" bbl and be more than 27" overall, so PGs don't make a difference there. But...

PGs, that aren't part of a full stock, aren't a real world option. Most people find the weapon harder to control and shoot effectively with them. My agency used to issue them, most officers had trouble qualifying with them,some found it impossible.

As an instructor, I had to qualify to 90% on the course, and give frequent demos.I learned to do it, but still did better with the standard stock. After firing hundreds of rounds that way,any shooting I'm called on to do will be done with the weapon shouldered, using the sights.

Out of all the serious WIHTF types I know, none use a PG, except for a specialized extreme CQB tool.

Lots of old threads, about this, I suggest a bit of research...
Old July 2, 2000, 06:52 PM   #4
ctdonath

Different jurisdictions have different laws. NY doesn't even formally recognize the "pistol-grip-only" shotgun as a weapon; lacking a shoulder stock, it is by legal definition not a shotgun...and not legally defined as anything else that's explicitly restricted. At best it may fall into the catch-all category of "dangerous weapons" which are unclear and barely regulated. (As usual, NY State law mutates into something quite alien within NY City, but since the 2nd is void there anyway...) As such, the pistol-grip-only shotgun is the most legal modern gun in NY state.

Old July 2, 2000, 11:25 PM   #5
Coronach

The most important law you will encounter on this is Sir Isaac Newton's:

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Shoot 4 boxes of 00 buck and tell us how your wrist feels. My guess is you'll be typing with your off-hand.

The shotgun evolved with a stock for a reason.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old July 3, 2000, 06:47 AM   #6
Ned Roundtree

Your comment on wrist relief after four boxes of shells or slugs for that matter is correct. But the pistol grip is more a function for Close Quarter Combat and tactical situations where a person may have to hold the firearm with one hand while doing something else with the other. Also with body armor on the regular stock is sometimes cut so short that pistol grip helps. Me? Oh I prefer a short stock on my HD shotgun. But that's just me.