The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 28, 2018, 12:16 PM   #1
fisherman

Upset Taurus haters

I have gone to several Taurus forums and one person in particular has really been down on Taurus. Makes statements like" it is life threatening to carry one for self defense" because they are complete junk etc. I would like to commend Taurus based on my personal experience as an owner and on what a couple of my friends say about their Taurus hand guns. I have owned a Judge for about 10 years: not one single problem and I shoot it monthly with my self made #4 buck shot .410 ammo and jacketed hollow points. I feel it is the ultimate home defense hand gun (in the night stand drawer). I don't have children and remove it when I have company with kids. I also have a defense strobe light with it. I and several buddies all have slim 709 9mm semi autos and all of them shoot flawlessly. I have put over 1000 rounds through my 709 and clean it every time after shooting at the range. I have just ordered a PT-22 ply. I am beginning to think the guy who dislikes them so much may have been a fired, mad as hell employee. I will let everyone know what I think about the PT 22 after i clean and lube it out of the box and shoot 3-500 rounds through it. I plan on carryiing it as a pocket backup for my 9mm which I carry at all times. There is one site that talks about renting out concealed carry autos for use after the mandatory course for a CC liscense in Texas: the Taurus 709 being the only one they get 10,000 rounds through with out breakdown. All other compacts end up with broken parts before 10,000 as a rule they say. So to all you Taurus owners out there: keep them clean, don't limp wrist them, and keep on shooting. I am not associated with Taurus in any way. I just shoot them. A reliable CC weapon at a great cost for an old retired gun lover.
Old November 28, 2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Ricklin

Freedom of the press

It's been said many times.

Prior to the internet freedom of the press required one to OWN a press. Now everyone owns a press.

That fact is definitely a double edged sword. We the people? We are still adjusting.
Old November 28, 2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

I wouldn't say they are junk, but QA is more spotty than say S&W, Ruger, Beretta, or Glock. The Taurus guns I've handled generally have rougher edges, more visible tool marks, and thinner finishes. Personally, I have no problems trusting a Taurus revolver with my life. Their semi's, not so much.
Old November 28, 2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Siggy-06

+1 on the 709's reliability. I have one in stainless and have put 1000+ rounds through it. Easy to disassemble as a glock too.
Old November 28, 2018, 01:32 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

First off, I'll say I don't own any, and I'm not planning on it. So, this is just a "baseless" opinion, so I don't recommend them or bash them, directly.

based on what I've read for a long time, (and allowing for the Internet making a couple of bad apples into barrels of bad apples), it seems that, like a lot of things, if you get a good one, you got a good one.

But, if you don't, it seems to be more time, trouble, and aggravation getting a bad one fixed than with other (and especially US made) guns.

If forced, I would choose a Taurus over a Llama, but then, I've HAD Llamas and the experience was not satisfactory.

Personally, I would (and do) spend a few dollars more, and get a S&W, Ruger, or some other US gun (if one fills my needs) than a foreign one, counting on the fact that, worst case, I will be dealing with a US company under US laws, and without the complication of international shipping to get repair work done.

Plus, having been a union worker for most of my life, I like (at least the fiction) of "keeping my money in the US for US workers".

I do have a number of foreign made guns, (mostly historical ones) when it comes to getting new, for sport or protection, I'll look first to US products, generally, and don't put lowest price as my most important factor.

but, that's just me...
Old November 28, 2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

I'm pretty sure all Taurus repairs are handled in the US.
Old November 28, 2018, 02:31 PM   #7
CDW4ME

"Friends don't let friends buy Taurus"

Old November 28, 2018, 02:46 PM   #8
shurshot

My 1986 vintage Taurus 66 .357 and 99 9mm (both purchased brand new), are still going strong, thousands and thousands of hot rounds through both, with nary an issue. Just lucky I guess!

Lots of people love to talk smack about guns, trucks, bows and tools they have never owned or even used. Take them with a grain of salt.

Based upon my experience, I wouldn't trade either one of my Taurus handguns for a Kimber... nothing but issues out of the several I have used. Overpriced Jamomatics!!! No Kimbers under my roof any longer. But, if you listen to some of the self appointed experts online, Taurus is junk and Kimber is a high end weapon. Subjective topic I guess.

Last edited by shurshot; November 28, 2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old November 28, 2018, 04:03 PM   #9
fisherman

Speaking of not being U.S. made. Taurus is opening a new factory in North or South Carolina I believe. Going to employ some 700 workers. I am sure they will have some good paying skilled trades jobs in the plant. Just saying.
Old November 28, 2018, 04:43 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Some people have positive experiences with a company. Others do not.

When it comes to Taurus, those that do not have positive experiences tend to be a bit more vocal.

I've had two Taurii. To put it as 'nicely' as possible: They were both pretty lackluster, poorly designed, and poorly made. One of them even broke in a manner that made it a serious danger to the shooter.

Most Taurii work just fine. ...Right up to the point when they fail.
Old November 28, 2018, 04:47 PM   #11
JERRYS.

I've owned a few Taurus revolvers in the mid 90s to early 2000s and they were fairly good guns. I've also seen some of their semi auto guns that were junk on a level that exceeded any other [reputable] manufacturer I know.
Old November 28, 2018, 04:55 PM   #12
mk70ss

Taurus are no different than any other mechanical product. Good ones are built every day...and sometimes a lemon rolls off the line. The guy with the good quality Taurus is never as vocal as the guy who got the lemon.
Old November 28, 2018, 05:36 PM   #13
Ibmikey

I too have been on the Taurus wagon with a couple of purchases, a Braztec imported 92 Win copy is a great little carbine after I stoned the action , replaced plastic parts and plugged the holes where the stupid safety was stuck on top of the bolt. Second was a Taurus copy of a Colt Lightning Rifle, never could get it to shoot three shots in a row without major malfunction even after a visit to the factory. Traded that poorly made rifle at LGS and have never returned ( he knew it’s track record).
Some folks have a reason to report negatively about a Taurus.
Old November 28, 2018, 05:43 PM   #14
Mike38

I own two Taurus handguns, a model 83 revolver (.38 Spcl) and a PT22PLY. I can't complain. I don't go around bragging about them, but can't complain, they work.
Old November 28, 2018, 08:33 PM   #15
osbornk

I traded a Hi-Point for a 90s era Taurus 38 special revolver to see if the gun snobs were as wrong about Taurus as they were about Hi-Point. I found they were wrong and as a result I bought a Taurus TCP new. That led me to buy a Taurus PTY-111 G2 that has never malfunctioned and is accurate. The last Taurus I bought is a 2002 605 357 Magnum. Since they have made the 605 since 1995, I searched to see if there were problems with it and found that it has been reliable. Based on my personal experience, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Taurus handguns and based on my experience with a Hi-Point handgun, I bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine (that is reliable and accurate).

I have a Ruger and 2 S&Ws but my go to guns are Taurus.
Old November 28, 2018, 08:43 PM   #16
Dano4734

I know lots of people who love them and have good luck with them. I had to many problems with mine so i won’t buy another but if you have a good one that’s awesome
Old November 28, 2018, 09:59 PM   #17
Drm50

Let's be honest. Taraus is not the quality of major American brands. They are second rate and compare with Charter Arms and H&Rs from past. If they work for you that's all that
matters. To me I'm not going to buy or use 2nd rate guns. For same money I can find a
good used S&W or Ruger. I know quality of Taraus has improved over the years but I don't
want any.
Old November 28, 2018, 11:30 PM   #18
kymasabe

My daughter bought a brand new Taurus TCP that didn't survive its first range session, was immediately returned to Taurus for repair, and was shipped back to her 16 weeks later. I had a Ruger that needed a repair, was back in my hands in 10 days.
16 weeks is too long, I won't buy another Taurus, their customer service is abysmal.
Old November 28, 2018, 11:50 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

I have been very happy with my Taurus guns. A Judge Public Defender Poly, and a 22POLY. Both have been excellent. The only problem ever was obviously ammo related. Primers were backing out of the primer pocket, and jamming the cylinder. I tried several brands without any problem. Then I tried rounds of the same brand from a different batch. Again, no problems. Obviously lose primer pockets in a particular batch.
The 22POLY digests everything I feed it.
I have a friend who buys lots of guns. Many have been from Taurus. He had a problem with one Taurus revolver. He sent it in, and had it back in a couple weeks working perfectly. I guess if you only have one gun, two weeks, or two months is too long to wait for repairs. Not an issue for me. Sig had my P320 almost three weeks for the trigger upgrade.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 28, 2018, 11:53 PM   #20
Charlie98

Quote:
Taurus is junk and Kimber is a high end weapon
I've had 2 Taurus PT1911's... and I have 2 Kimber 1911's. Note the past-tense with the Taurus. I don't consider the Kimber to be a high end pistol, it's in the middle of the pack.

In my case, 1 PT1911 shot so far left, it voted Democratic last election. I swapped in a different barrel, and even mix-maxed parts from the other pistol to see if I could get it turned around... but nothing doing. The other PT had soft slide metal... the underside of the slide peened into the firing pin retention plate, so much that I couldn't strip the slide.

As far as my 2 Kimbers... well, when something goes wrong, I'll let you know.

Quote:
Taurus are no different than any other mechanical product. Good ones are built every day...and sometimes a lemon rolls off the line.
I generally believe this is true, I've had problems or shortcomings with every brand of firearm I think I've ever owned. Having said that, there are a few manufacturers I avoid... Taurus now being one of them. YMMV.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 28, 2018, 11:58 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

The Judge doesn't have "immense" stopping power.
I have had no problems with the Taurus guns I have owned.
Old November 29, 2018, 07:57 AM   #22
USNRet93

Had a Taurus Model 82(.38 spec)..kept getting 'jammed'..trigger wouldn't go aft, cylinder wouldn't rotate. Took it apart ala youtube, cleaned and lubed, no issue after that. It was inexpensive($340), fun to shoot and I got $300 on trade for my Glock 19..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 29, 2018, 08:01 AM   #23
tallball

I've owned about a dozen Taurus handguns. I got the first one in 1988 or so. One was a lemon that had to go back to the factory twice to be repaired. Most of them have had mediocre triggers but have functioned reliably. A few of them have been excellent.
Old November 29, 2018, 10:10 AM   #24
jfruser

I own a Taurus .357mag snubby made mostly from Titanium. I will not buy another Taurus. Too much user modification needed to make them useful. And once you do that, you are in for it money-wise as much as a good S&W, yet still own only a second-rate gun that happens to work.

OTOH, I have no plans to get rid of the Taurus snubby, as it now works. It helped me learn to 'smith on revolvers as nobody local wants to work on them due to indifferent QC in the guts. They are right, the guts are sloppy relative to my S&W revolvers. Also, the sights are regulated for no common self defense round. WAY high or low with common .357mag and .38spl, SD fodder, depending. The best POA~POI load is the discontinued Winchester .357mag hunting load topped with a 180gr Nosler Partition bullet tha exits the muzzle at 1000fps. 180gr/1000fps is not common in SD loadings for .38spl/.357mag.

Like I wrote, I used it as my learning platform and got the trigger pull both smooth and moderately light for a small frame snubby. And I found a Crimson Trace laser grip on sale for $100 that doesn't care about wonkily-regulated iron sights. At gut-punch ranges, sights don;t matter, but at longer ranges and in low light, the laser makes up for the Taurus irons.

For what I paid for the Taurus titanium .357mag snubby, I could have gotten a S&W Airweight snubby in .38spl. Should have gotten the S&W. I have since bought a S&W snubby so I know the difference.
Old November 29, 2018, 10:45 AM   #25
JERRYS.

I think the biggest poo poo on Taurus from what I've seen is if and when you need warranty or repair work, you will wait a very long time before your gun is sent back to you and then it still might not be working properly.

that said, I've owned a DAO stainless bobbed hammer model 85 in the early 90s, a standard blued model 85 in the mid 90s, a 941(?) stainless .22 magnum and a DAO CIA 850 Ti both in the early 2000s. great guns. while I had a co-worker have a pt-22(?) that couldn't stumble trough a single magazine without a multitude of various failures no matter what ammo was used. after a 3 month or so wait for "repairs" it was still not fixed. then there was that damning video of some sort of Taurus 9mm service weapon that would fire when shaken too hard....