The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 15, 2018, 02:37 PM   #26
TunnelRat

I'd disagree that use of a computer, even for consecutive hours, means abandoning your social life or cutting out friends. I'm at the age where most of my friends are just having kids. Between work and family most of us don't have much time to get together (though we do when we can). What we do have is time at night, when the kids are in bed, to stay up and either talk online or play some games together. Computer use, like this forum, can be social in nature. It also can not be social in nature. To me there's a line between recognizing the potential downfalls of behavior and stereotyping behavior. It's not an easy line to walk and figuring out when someone is doing one as opposed to the other isn't always easy, especially strictly through text like here. I'm just pointing out what I often see as a tendency among some people to stereotype others while at the same time being angered at the stereotypes often applied to their own groups.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; November 15, 2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old November 19, 2018, 05:20 PM   #27
Tactical Jackalope

Gear check!

I have been carrying the same handheld light for about 5+ years now. I will share a pic if you want. It's a Surefire E1D Defender. It's basically all aluminum now (exaggerating, but it's beat up!). So that hasn't changed.

As for EDC lights, I've been using WML for years as well. Surefire X300U for most of those years. Recently switched to a Streamlight TLR-7 from a small test with an XC1 from Surefire. It just didn't have enough *umph* for me. Especially coming from an X300U. And now there is a 1,000 lumen X300U coming out! Can't wait.

So the X300s are on the MK25 (which I carry appendix with the X300U) and the FNX-45 Tactical. That sports a Vortex red dot and an FDE X300U. Which is an OWB gun.

My EDC pistol is an HK USP 9 Compact and has a GG&G rail with the Streamlight TLR-7. It shares it with the Glock 19. But that's been almost six months since the Glock has been my main squeeze. I have the XC1 on the P229.

As for knives, the past few years has been a Benchmade 810 Contego. However, that M4 super steel has to be sharpened by Benchmade because I cannot for the life of me do it myself. So I recently bought myself a Cold Steel Tanto folder with the new steel they're using and 4 Spydercos. 2 Delicas, a Matriarch, and an Ocelot.

Shipping the Benchmade out soon. I only had one knife for the longest.

Anyway. Nice post!

Bonus:

I carry medical with me everywhere. At the very least on my person there's a SOF Tourniquet and Israeli quick clot bandages.

The Vertx EDC Ready bag has A LOT more.
Old November 19, 2018, 08:30 PM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have the 2016 version of the Fenix PD35. It's "okay," but IMHO not nearly as rave-worthy as Rachen's review makes it out to be. However, mine is not the "new and improved" version. My biggest complaint is that the light simply doesn't operate the way the instructions claim it should operate. To me, that's a problem.

I'm not going to throw it away (unless it stops working), but I'm also not likely to buy another Fenix if I'm shopping for another tactical light.
Old November 19, 2018, 08:44 PM   #29
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Gear check!
- LCR 327 with Hydra-Shoks
- Klarus P20 with diffused 5000K Nichia 219C
- Pilot Precise V7
- Kershaw Clash

Of course I've got a smart phone and a wallet. I've also got a stainless steel AAA light from Convoy on my key ring with a 4000K LED. I no longer wear a wrist watch.
Old December 3, 2018, 02:20 PM   #30
the possum

Any time the subject of flashlights comes up, I like to link to a very helpful site:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html

You can narrow down your choices by selecting for battery type, lumens, throw, etc.

I find throw to often be more important to my outdoor uses than raw lumens.
Old December 4, 2018, 07:01 PM   #31
Siggy-06

I personally dont have a flashlight in my edc rotation. I have a flashlight at work, at home, and in the car. I'm not strolling through poorly lit neighborhoods or woods, or clearing houses. The LED on my Note 8 lights up an entire room quite good. And yes its always charged because: I have a charger at home, at work, and in my car. Bring the right tools when you need them. For me, I dont need one on me 95% of the time, and the other 5% Im covered.

Last edited by Siggy-06; December 4, 2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old December 5, 2018, 08:40 AM   #32
Cosmodragoon

Siggy-06, that's why I carry a penlight. I carry pens anyway and the P20 rides along with them in my shirt pocket. It's relatively nondescript and it does a lot for its size. Of course, not everyone carries pens these days, nor does everyone have the right pocket for a pen-sized object.

You might want to consider a key chain light if nothing else. Technology has come a long way. You can get some truly excellent little flashlights that ride on your key ring with relatively little pocket impact. I like the AAA size but you can get them smaller if need be. Once you start, you may find it handier than you expected.

There are advantages to having a light that isn't part of a phone or tablet.
Old December 5, 2018, 09:10 AM   #33
Doyle

Quote:
Siggy-06, that's why I carry a penlight. I carry pens anyway and the P20 rides along with them in my shirt pocket. It's relatively nondescript and it does a lot for its size. Of course, not everyone carries pens these days, nor does everyone have the right pocket for a pen-sized object.
Here is one thing to consider if you want to carry a pen light but don't normally carry pens in your shirt. If you carry eye glasses in a shirt pocket in an eyeglass sleeve then get a slightly oversize sleeve and put your pen/pen light in it alongside your glasses. I always carry reading glasses in my shirt pocket when outside the house and found that the sleeve is an excellent place to stash a pen. It would work just as well for a pen light.
Old December 5, 2018, 10:54 AM   #34
Winny

Knives:
I carry an old Boker gentleman folder in the pocket most days and keep a Bear Ops Auto folder in the other.

Lights:
I carry a Streetlight Micro stream (50/250 Lumens) or, if space allows, an OLight S2R (.5/12/120/500/1020 Lumens) Baton in my back pocket.

On my key ring sits an OLight i3e eos (90 Lumens)

Keep a 3" folder and an OLight i3T eos (5/180 Lumens) in my center console, along with a holster rig set up for car- carry.

Firearms:
Spare mag in the front pocket on a neomag and a Security 9 in a Clinger holster IWB (today, at least).

Misc:
Always have an iPhone, wallet, various pens and a comb on me as well, but I guess those aren't too tactical...
Old December 5, 2018, 12:22 PM   #35
TunnelRat

To me with the availability of very small lights putting out quite a lot of light, I like to have a light with me. Sometime I am in a place I didn't expect to be and a light it beneficial. Yes my phone is an option, but sometimes I need to use the phone and the light at the same time but not pointed in the same direction.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 5, 2018, 02:46 PM   #36
Winny

Quote:
Yes my phone is an option
My biggest issue with the phone light quite honestly sound silly when said aloud...

I can’t hold my phone in my mouth and have the light pointed where I want it.

With hands full, being able to chomp down on a flashlight and see what you’re looking at goes a long way for me..
Old December 5, 2018, 10:42 PM   #37
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... sometimes I need to use the phone and the light at the same time but not pointed in the same direction.
Quote:
I can’t hold my phone in my mouth and have the light pointed where I want it...
These are both good reasons to carry a standalone light source. Add to that:

- you might have to hold your light source at an odd angle or in a tough situation in which a phone-sized object is harder to manipulate and/or could be easily dropped or caught in something;

- using your expensive and otherwise important phone as a light source in some situations could cause it to get dirty or damaged;

- you might want to lend your light source in a situation where you wouldn't want to be apart from your phone;

- you might not want your light source draining battery life from your phone or vice a versa;

- you might be in a situation where you want two sources of light;

- you might want a different tint, pattern, or intensity of light that your phone doesn't offer.
Old December 6, 2018, 12:25 AM   #38
Bill DeShivs

I carry a .32 Keltec in my pocket, a tiny Photon-type light and a small Swiss Army Knife in the other pocket.
Clipped in my back Pocket is a SOG Flash1 knife, converted to automatic. This is a small, 2" bladed knife.
Being a knifemaker-I never have felt the need for a "tactical" knife!