The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 26, 2019, 02:14 PM   #1
kymasabe

Who installs/pins A2 front sights ??

There was a discussion a few months ago about A2 front sights and I can't seem to find it. In there somewhere was mention of a gunsmith somewhere who installs/pins A2 front sights. I was thinking of building myself an M4gery and need someone to do some sight work for me.
Would anyone happen to remember who the shop was to send the barrel to ??
Old January 26, 2019, 03:00 PM   #2
lordmorgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
There was a discussion a few months ago about A2 front sights and I can't seem to find it. In there somewhere was mention of a gunsmith somewhere who installs/pins A2 front sights. I was thinking of building myself an M4gery and need someone to do some sight work for me.

Would anyone happen to remember who the shop was to send the barrel to ??

I would think any gunsmith would do that well, it’s just an alignment checking issue as pinning.

But, if you’re going for m4gery why not buying a complete upper? Specific part wants?

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old January 26, 2019, 04:16 PM   #3
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
But, if you’re going for m4gery why not buying a complete upper? Specific part wants?
Yes, I suppose any good gunsmith could do it, but there aren't any locally, and I heard of one guy in the midwest ( I think) who's exceptional at it.
I've had complete M4gery uppers before, mostly PSA and most recently tried a Bear Creek Arsenal, not bad. The PSA's are decent, I prefer the .223 Wylde chamber and 1:9 twist of the Bear Creek but it's parkerized and I want nitride/qpq. I know Ballistic Advantage has the option of adding an A2 front sight and delta ring to their barrels when you buy directly from them. So, to answer your question, yes, I'd like to pick a specific barrel, I want a nitrided gas tube, no handguard as I'll be mounting a Magpul MOE SL and no usual, basic A2 flash hider as I prefer to install a VG6 Delta flash hider. And, I want it all mounted on a slick side upper receiver, which I already have.
Old January 26, 2019, 04:29 PM   #4
imashooter

There are multiple shops who do that. I wouldn't trust an "unknown" for this particular endeavor. They have various fees depending on they provide / you provide parts / taper vs straight pin, etc. Ranier https://www.rainierarms.com/pin-a2-front-sight/ and Adco https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/fsb-install/ are but two who come to mind. You can also check with a reputable gun store in your area and see if they can recommend a shop nearby so that you save on shipping, time, etc. I take it you have no interest in doing it yourself therefore I won't comment on that. Good luck with it. I have two from BA and they're excellent.
Old January 26, 2019, 05:13 PM   #5
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashooter View Post
I take it you have no interest in doing it yourself therefore I won't comment on that. Good luck with it. I have two from BA and they're excellent.
I've dimpled my own barrels with a jig and drill press for low-pro gas blocks, but my understanding is it's a lot easier to screw up the alignment for the A2 front sight/gas block, and it's a lot hard to drill all the way thru rather than just dimple, especially on nitrided barrels. I think I'll leave this one to the professionals.
Old January 26, 2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Mobuck

If you feel the absolute NEED for a pinned FSB, best to just buy one ready made.
Unless you plan to use your AR as a spear(meaning you plan to use a bayonet), the pinned FSB is serious overkill.
Old January 26, 2019, 06:51 PM   #7
lordmorgul

I wholeheartedly recommend ballisitoc advantage, I have two barrels made by them (one is Aero Precision branded, the other is the BA Hanson), both 16” midlength. Neither have FSB but they will indeed send it to you fully pinned if you like.

Another option is the screw mounted FSB with milled flats on the barrel, I just ordered a service rifle barrel from WOA with milled flats and this system looks great.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member