The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 22, 2022, 06:48 AM   #1
seanc

Tragedy averted - The Un-Uvalde

Not a national story because the police did what they were supposed to do: responded within 2 minutes of 1st call and prevented a tragedy with 250 kids at summer camp on June 13th in Texas near Dallas.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/gu...ified/2992043/

Ignored by the MSM since it doesn't fit their agenda. How do we protect ourselves from non-acting state/local officials? It shouldn't be by creating new laws that infringe on our fundamental human rights. There needs to be laws holding officials responsible that would at least lead to their removal from position. The contrast here is stark, that's why the story is buried in local media.
Old June 22, 2022, 07:42 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Not really a L&CR issue, so I'm going to move this thread.
Old June 22, 2022, 01:34 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

and, unlike the press, let's not forget the unnamed woman in Charlotte at the end of May.

Goblin with an AR-15 shows up at a graduation party, starts shooting. A woman at the party, not a cop, not private security, just a regular citizen legally armed, drew her pistol and shot him, DRT. He didn't hit anyone, and she didn't hit anyone but him. Then she calmly waited for the police to arrive, along with some witnesses. No charges filed. Dead bad guy, (with an "assault weapon") live, UNHARMED good guys.

OFF the news in less than 24hrs.

didn't fit the desired narrative for MSN, I guess....
Old June 23, 2022, 12:11 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Not a national story because the police did what they were supposed to do: responded within 2 minutes of 1st call and prevented a tragedy with 250 kids at summer camp on June 13th in Texas near Dallas.
Saw some of the interviews of people present at the camp on local TV.

There are several reasons why this wasn't a Uvalde. Part of the reason is that the gunman apparently wasn't actually firing at actual people despite having the opportunity to shoot them. He fired a total of 2 shots before the police arrived. That was it.

Case and point...
Quote:
From there, the shooter walked into a gymnasium where other kids were present. He didn't immediately open fire, and counselors worked to get the children out of the area, Stogner said.
https://www.npr.org/2022/06/14/11049...lle-fieldhouse

The police did respond within two minutes and responded appropriately which is absolutely terrific. However, and this is HUGE, their quick response was not because they are amazing fast at responding to priority one calls in Duncanville. It is because officers happened to be fairly close by when the call came it. It isn't like Duncanville is a city saturated with cops. It would not have been unexpected for their response time to be 3-5 times longer than what it was, which is more typical for the DFW area.

Honestly, this just seems to be more of a suicide by cop scenario than an attempted mass shooting.