The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 22, 2009, 02:39 AM   #1
bdb benzino

New Snubbie

I have been looking around and researching a bit to find a snub nose 38 or 357 for mainly the wife, but can see myself borrowing on ocasion for a BUG.
Last week after much deliberation, I decided to go to various shops and check out Ruger SP101's in either 357mag or 327mag, in either case the wife could down grade to 38spl or 32h&r for less recoil. I came across one in DAO and it was pretty but the trigger was gritty as all get out, and I'm not droping another $60 or more on a trigger job.

Yesterday I was in the local gunsmiths shop and eyed an deep blued Taurus 605 2'' bbl in 357mag while I was getting grips for another revolver and an extra mag for my CCW semi-auto. After thinking about it last night I decided to take a leap of faith, as I have had one Taurus semi-auto in the mid 90's and while it was good looking, it would always FTE 1 in 50 rounds.
I decided to trade a 9mm that I like but dont need, to sacrafice for the wife but I am 100% behind this as well. When I got there to check it out, I used methods off this forum to test the pistol to see if it is in great shape as it was LNIB but lightly used. Needless to say it was sweet with real nice blueing and the trigger is nice in DA & SA. Lock up is tight and it is real tight to the forcing cone as well.
We went out to test the basics of the pistol in the beautiful pacific NW rain. We tested 38spl 110gr FMJ's, 38spl Rem 125gr HP+P, and 357mag 110gr Win HP's. They all fired flawlessly and recoil was not near as bad as I thought it would be for this tiny J frame like pistol. My wife fired the 38spl +P like a champ and I see this will be a good choice for her fo SD. I like that she told me what she wanted and I was able to find something similar.

It is nice to get a Taurus revolver and have something good to report back, I was hesitant, but now I am happy with the choice as it was affordable and a sweet shooter as well!! I have always liked the snubbies.
Old November 22, 2009, 03:32 AM   #2
Dirty and Hairy

I'm glad you are happy with your purchase! However, may I be so bold as to make a recommendation? I notice you are testing with mostly lighter grain bullets.....for the snubbies, try a heavy-for-caliber hollowpoint, like 158-180 grain, in .357 or .38+P. and test, test, test! I apologize if you are already aware of this information, but I don't know you or your experiance so I figured it might possibly be helpful.
Old November 22, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
zombieslayer

+1 for loading heavier for a snub
Old November 22, 2009, 11:26 AM   #4
bdb benzino

Thanks for the recomendation guys!! I have heard this before, but this is our first snub nose revolver and I was just shooting what I had on hand. Next time I go ammo shopping I will keep in mind to test out some of the bigger bullets.
Do you guys have any favorite HP's for 38+P???
Old November 22, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5
madmag

I carry Winchester SXT 130 +P, or Gold Dot 135g +P. I do agree the 158g is a good loading.

Before we dismiss the lighter loads. I also have 110g Hornady Critical Defense +P. I just read some recent tests using this ammo in snubs. The results were very good for penetration & expansion.

http://www.hornady.com/store/critica...se/?sort=title
Old November 22, 2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Dilligaf

I have 3 snubbies, and my Taurus is my favorite... well made, great feel and function at half the price of a comparable S&W or Colt. For my money, a better buy if you don't just "Have to have" the brand name.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:11 PM   #7
bdb benzino

I am shocked after all that I have heard the Ruger SP101 that I got to feel had a really rough action, and the Taurus that you don't always hear good things about had a silky smooth action and was real tight. I guess it shows that every one lets a rough one slip by occasionally, and some more than others. I am just glad my particular choice was a good one!
This is not going to stop me from finding a good example of the Ruger,hopefully in 327 mag so I can play with a new caliber. I also am considering a 38spl Colt Agent with a 2'' bbl. Now the wife has me wanting a snub!
Old November 22, 2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Brian48

Quote:
My favorite load for the last 16+ years has been the Corbon +P+ 158gr LHP. I keep this loaded in my j-frame year round.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:31 PM   #9
rickyjames

i have a blue taurus 605 myself. i think it is a great little gun, nice looking, accurate as well, no problems with it. the only drawback for me is it is a handful and the recoil is not enjoyable to me shooting heavy magnum loads. i prefer to shoot 38's thru mine but i love the flexability that i can shoot either caliber thru the same gun. now that is not a knock against taurus i just don't really enjoy shooting full house mags thru such a little gun and that would be true of any make or model of similar size. i do have a slightly larger, heavier rossie 357 snubbie that is more enjoyable to shoot the heavy 357 mags with.
Old November 22, 2009, 04:46 PM   #10
katana8869

I have a Taurus 850 CIA in stainless steel that I really, really like. It has the best trigger of any of my snubby revolvers with the exception of my Ruger LCR. It is a little heavy for pocket carry, but it works great carried IWB in a Bianchi Profesional holster.

I have over 1000 rounds through it and it runs like a champ.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Mike_Fontenot

bdb benzino wrote:
Quote:
Next time I go ammo shopping I will keep in mind to test out some of the bigger bullets.
The best one I tested (in .357) was the Federal 158gr JHP Classic "Hi-Shok" (NOT "Hydra-Shok"). I just got a shipment of them (after waiting about 6 months!), and they have changed the nomenclature a bit...they no longer call them "Hi-Shok", but rather "Personal Defense". But the manufacturer's number is the same: Federal C357E. They LOOK identical to the old ones, except the hollow-point cavity is a little different. I've emailed Federal for an explanation of that change, but haven't gotten a response.

The Hi-Shok's appeared to have an EXTREMELY fast powder...perfect for a snubby. The ballistics and expansion (in wet newspaper) were better than anything else I tested, and there was no "bullet-pull".

Beware that some 180gr .357 cartridges may be optimized for rifles, with slow-burning powder.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Laker

I carry a Taurus 605 daily. Never had any problems with it, and it's very accurate for a snubbie. I replaced the factory grips with Hogue Monogrips and it was a totally different gun. Full load .357's aren't bad with the grip change.