The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 2022, 12:32 PM   #1
bamaranger

CZ Reaper o/U turkey gun?

Has anybody had any experience with the CZ Reaper?

I'm beginning to think an o/U so configured might be the ultimate gobbler gun. Browning sellls the Cynergy for around $2000, The Turk guns seem an affordable option, starting around $500 , with the Reaper selling around $1000. The Reaper is made by an outfit in Turkey ( Haglu or the like).

We 've heard the accounts of the more affordable Turk guns, having issues, not regulated, clockwork problems. . CZ seems a reputable brand, I'm thinking their Turk made Reaper may be a cot above the other budget guns.

What about the Reaper.?
Old May 14, 2022, 01:30 PM   #2
stinkeypete

It seems to me that Randy Wakeman, who sees and shoots a lot of shotguns, has a low regard for Huglu, the company CZUSA is importing. It’s not a cut above, perhaps the contrary.

CZUSA and Tristar both have reportedly sterling customer service, so if something isn’t right you send it back and they fix it. Lots of people report how great the customer service on their CZ.

You pay more for the Cynergy because even though there are some reports that their customer service is meh, it’s very rare to hear of a Browning that makes in to the customer that doesn’t work or hold up to clays level shooting volumes.

For an Ultimate Turkey Gun, I would not use a double barrel. You’re counting on those barrels to regulate perfectly. That said, I recently got a Syren O/U and it’s patterns are perfect. But it cost three times that Turkish gun.

I just bought a CZ Bobwhite G2 20 gauge, from a neighbor.

G2 because… the G1 was a nightmare of breakage.

It’s attractive and well made, but the front trigger is too heavy (6.5 pounds) yet not so heavy the factory will do a free trigger job. I will see what I can do, I like to tinker.

Ultimate Turkey gun… unless there is a law in your country, I think a gas operated automatic will save your shoulder. With TSS shot, the ultimate is a 28 gauge.

The Turkish gun I bought.. it’s because I like to learn new things, I have never had a side by side, and I got it for a great price, no shipping or transfer fees. Without the warranty, CZs don’t resell well.

The resale value on a Browning will tower above what you can get if you end up not liking that CZ.

Last edited by stinkeypete; May 14, 2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old May 15, 2022, 09:52 PM   #3
bamaranger

Ultimate gobbler gun

Yes, both tubes shooting to the same place would be important. The theory on an O/U is one barrel would be choked SUPER TURKEY FULL and be charged with the full house turkey load of one's choice. The second barrel would be choked, ......say MODIFIED, and loaded with something along the lines of a standard field load with #6 or possibly even #7-1/2. The tight barrel for shots over ...30 yds (?), the open barrel for up close. The short range barrel could be "off" a little, to be compensated by the more forgiving choke. The gun would have provision for mounting some type of optic, both the Reaper and the short turkey Cynergy are so configured.

Recoil is not a concern, I still shoot 3 inch, 12 gauge lead loads, but I suppose that could change with age or injury. I've got no interest in in TSS shot for gobblers, though it is all the rage here as well. Done right, I shouldn't be shooting much past 40 yards, and lead is still serving well for me at that distance and under. I should go back in my gobbler diary and see what my average shot has been over the years.

'Pete, your comments on the Turk guns echoes what seems common opinion, and I intend at this point to hold off on a Turk double.

My next question is......on a higher priced gun like the Synergy, ( or a Citori, etc ) can poor regulation still be an issue?
Old May 16, 2022, 11:06 AM   #4
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
My next question is......on a higher priced gun like the Synergy, ( or a Citori, etc ) can poor regulation still be an issue?
Poor regulation can be an issue on a Browning, but it's far less likely than with any of the $500 doubles. Getting both barrels to shoot to the same place is one of the things that makes good doubles more expensive. Build quality is another.

In my experience there's little need for an open pattern barrel. Use one barrel, one choke, and sight in a set of fiber optic sights. Even at short distances before the pattern has had time to open up, it's a lot larger than the fraction of an inch diameter you get with a rifle.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:39 AM   #5
Siggy-06

Just wanted to throw this out there: get a Henry single shot. For $500ish you wont get a better shotgun single or double. American made, great fit and finish, solid warranty, and you can get it in brass if you like that. I have the blued steel 12 guage, love it. I have Benelli and Franchi autoloaders, a mossberg pump, but the Henry is simple and does what all the others do, just a tad slower. #4 shot and a full choke gets me a turkey.
Old May 16, 2022, 08:09 PM   #6
stinkeypete

with a double barrel you have two issues:
- the barrels might not line up.
- One of the chokes (or both of them) might be threaded cockeyed.

With a single barrel, there isn't another barrel and a cockeyed choke is dealt with by adjusting your sights.

Contact the company you're interested in. They will have a specification for how far off the patterns can be. If it's sold as a turkey gun, that spec must be held or.. word will get out. That's why you pay for a top tier gun- reputation and service. At $3,000 it better regulate!

Now, it does confuse me as to why the Browning turkey shotgun comes with a full set of chokes.. it's not gonna be a grouse gun or shoot skeet.. but hey.. in for a penny., in for a pound.
Old May 17, 2022, 02:00 AM   #7
bamaranger

divergence

I have not spoken to CZ , but I have done a fair amount of browsing regards the Reaper since starting this thread. According to posts on other sites(take that for what It's worth) the acceptable amount of DIVERGENCE between top and bottom barrels of the CZ Reaper is 4 inches at 25 yards. There appear to be CZ Reapers sold that exceed that standard by a considerable amount and have been returned to CZ and found to be out of spec. The episodes I read of opted for refund as new barrels promised did not arrive. These stories are online heresay and dated by a few years but are consistent with their respective issues with divergence. More recent models may or may not have resolved the issue. The gun has some very positive media releases and reviews.

I think the concept of a forgiving, close range open choked barrel loaded with fine shot, mated to a tight shooting long range barrel with a serious turkey load will offer a distinct advantage over a conventional gobbler gun. Modern chokes and loads shoot incredibly tight and it is entirely possible to miss a gobbler' s noggin inside 30 yards, as I can painfully testify to on more than one occassion in recent years. A dialed in, tight shooting gun/load is a disadvantage up close. Turkey hunters have for many years now strived for denser patterns and more range, and today's set ups are far superior in that respect than guns/ loads available when I first started chasing spring gobblers.

But that extra reach has come at a cost, ...up close, there is just not much pattern with which to work. Missing a turkey now seems more common than it did years back, and not just in my experience! I've had more than one serious turkey hunter tell me they've missed more birds in recent years in close with their new super choked/space shot loaded guns, that they believe they would have killed with ol'Betsy and lead shot.

And if you've not missed a turkey up close yet, just wait!
Old May 17, 2022, 12:50 PM   #8
FITASC

AKUS is an excellent maker form Turkey. They made the S&W Elite Gold, (which became the Dickinson from Cabela's) as well as the Kimber Valiant, a true 7 pin sidelock. Both of those had engine turned interiors, excellent fit and finish and worth the price charged. They have new offering now and are worth a look
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa