The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Stan_TheGunNut

New to blackpowder.

I currently have several black powder revolvers and would like to shoot them. I'd like to buy some caps and balls, but am wondering what size would be most appropriate. The Uberti manual simply states to use the appropriate sized caps. What I have so far consists of:

Uberti Colt Clones:
Dragoon in 44 cal
1860 Army in 44
1861 Navy in 36

Uberti Remington clone:
1858 in 36 cal
1858 in 44

Colt:
1851 Navy (1975 vintage repro I think).

I'm confused because my searches seemed to indicate that the sizes used can be different based on manufacturer (of both the gun and the caps and balls). I'd appreciate any tips you may have.
Thanks
Old November 8, 2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Hawg

.454 and .375 balls and #10 caps usually give best results.
Old November 8, 2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

That's # 10 Remingtons, not CCI. I prefer .380 size cast balls in my Uberti's. .375 can be a little loose.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 8, 2014, 08:32 PM   #4
celem

This chart will help:

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...art7_28_11.png
Old November 10, 2014, 03:03 PM   #5
maillemaker

Hi Stan,

The usual size for .44 BP guns is .454. But some can use .451, and some need .457.

The way you can tell is when you seat the ball into the chamber a thin ring of lead should be shaved off of the bullet all the way around. This tells you that you have an interference fit with the chamber. This is important to prevent chain fires, which is when adjacent cylinders go off simultaneously with the chamber lined up with the barrel.

I find #10 CCI caps to work well, but again you have to see what fits your gun the best. CCI and Remington caps are not the same size even in the same # size. The chart Celem posted tells the tale.

Steve
Old November 11, 2014, 05:57 AM   #6
hartcreek

You really need to measure each of your guns to see what they will need. Pietta new and old may be different from CVA wich is different then ASM which is different then Uberti. Once you have the measurement then you can get the RB that is a few thousands larger so you can use the shave lead method or you can use the felt method. I have four that the bores and cylinder measure .440 so I use .445 RBs and use a felt over the powder and a felt over the RB. For long term storage I also use grease.
Old November 12, 2014, 10:05 PM   #7
rodwhaincamo

A little oversized is better than undersized. Were it me I'd look for .454 or .457" and .380" balls.

And 3F powder, though 2F will work also.

I'd also buy one tin of Rem #10 caps to see how they do before buying anything else. And if you replace the nipples I'd go with one brand so as to only need to stock up on and carry just one size/brand of cap. They work great on my Track of The Wolf replacement nipples for my Ruger, as well as my stock Pietta Remington 1858.