The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
mxsailor803

Shotgun reloading newb

Guys I need some tips/advice. I've recently got back into shooting Sporting Clays and forgot how much fun it was. Well I see that I'm probably going to be shooting around 100-150rnds a week very soon (like Friday lol). I'm seriously considering reloading for my 12ga now. I already reload for metallic cartridges, just never done it for hulls. Does anyone have any press recommendations or specialty gear that I might not have as a decently equipped pistol/rifle reloader?
Old August 2, 2014, 09:06 PM   #2
rg1

Mec shotshell presses are highly recommended. I have a Sizemaster but don't know if I'd want to load 150 rounds per week on it but it wouldn't take too much time. Consider if you want a progressive automatic press or not. Not trying to discourage you but a lot of shotgun shooters buy factory loads by the case or Federal and Winchester bulk packs from places like Walmart, Cabelas, etc. Considering lead shot is $40-$50 per 25 lb. bag, shotshell primers close to $40 per thousand and wads around $10 per 500, $28-40 per pound of powder, plus your equipment cost and time involved it may not be money saving. That's not counting shotshell hull prices. I really enjoy loading shotshells for hunting and on occasional clay target shooting from a portable clay target thrower. Like golf, tennis, and in your case shotshell target sports the high expense of practice and competition has left many unable to participate. Just do the math on what it'd cost to load versus buy but it is nice to have the ability to load shotshells should the need arise. You won't have to have extra equipment if you have a powder scale and sometimes you may need calipers. I like Mec's Shotshell Checker to check and adjusting the sizer collet on my Sizemaster. Maybe the stacker which holds 25 rounds and makes it easier to put them in a 25 round box. Plus I'd first buy Lyman's Shotshell Manual and others available.

Last edited by rg1; August 2, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old August 2, 2014, 10:57 PM   #3
JawjaBoy

Shotshell loading is not the money saver it once was. However, if you want to control the quality of your shells and tailor them to your purpose, reloading your own still has it place.

As far as presses, I have to recommend MEC. I have a Sizemaster that has loaded untold thousands of rounds in the 20+ years that I've had it and it still performs flawlessly.
Old August 3, 2014, 10:59 PM   #4
oldreloader

I do it Because I enjoy it. You can save a little but not as much as we use to. You can get better quality for the same money over factory "promo".
Old August 4, 2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Gdawgs

When I bought my son a 410, reloading quickly followed since 410 shells are expensive compared to the others. I bought a MEC and it works fine.

My dad has a couple Ponsness Warren reloaders, and they are superior to the MEC(of course they cost quite a bit more). So it all depends on what you'll be doing. As others have mentioned, if it's just trap loads you'll be reloading, you won't save much, if anything.
Old August 4, 2014, 02:35 PM   #6
BigJimP

MEC is my recommendation as well.... the Grabber model is a good press but it does not auto index ( but it'll still give you 5-6 boxes an hour ....the next step up is the 9000 - GN it auto indexes ( it'll do 8 - 10 boxes an hour) - they're both manually operated.

I would not go to a model below the grabber...some of the other model ( 600, 650, etc...have resizers ) ....but the Grabber or 9000 series do a better job on resizing....

My 12ga reloads ( 1 oz ) are right at $5 a box..../ so you aren't saving a lot these days....but I can lower that cost by loading 7/8 oz to about $4.50 per box...and if I go down to 3/4 oz its about $ 3.90 a box.....( you do save a lot more on 28ga and .410 )....
Old August 4, 2014, 09:12 PM   #7
A400 Fan

A used MEC Jr. will get you started. For 12 and 20, Remington hulls get the best reviews for longevity and quality. In 28 and 410, the Win AA hulls get the nod. NOT the Universals or Super Speeds, the AAHS hulls. Pick a primer - for the most part they are close enough for light target reloading. Use clone wads and buy in bulk top save money. I shoot reclaimed shot in light loads, so my reloads are under $4/box. Cheap factory ammo is at least $2/box more, so if you plan on shooting a lot, that can add up over the cost of a year.

You will find your best deal on a good used press at your local gun club on the bulletin board, and by going in on bulk orders for components. The hardest to find component currently is powder as all of the new handgun reloaders have "discovered" that our shotgun powders also work in their handguns