The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 22, 2015, 10:41 PM   #1
south.texas.dead.I

Help with a pistol

Guys I've been getting into competitive shooting. I am starting up a 3 gun team and we get free .40 ammo. I'm pretty sure I will want to go .40 for this reason. We are shooting glock 22 right now but I don't really like the trigger (all the travel)nor the sights (how blocky and big the dots are) This will be purely for target/competitive shooting.

Some of the events we will be getting muddy/completely submerged on some stations so dirty reliability is essential.

I really like the 2011s but am open to others. Really like the crisp short triggers
Old August 23, 2015, 09:32 AM   #2
Jim Watson

You can put any sight you like on a Glock.
Triggers are improvable although you will not get the crisp break of a hammer fired gun.

Certainly the 2011 is the class act, but I know one guy who shoots 3g with a Glock so he doesn't have to throw his $2500 STI in a dump barrel.

You might look at CZ and Witness guns, their top of the line pistols are very nice.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:37 AM   #3
g.willikers

One day at a range that had a good selection of rentals, I tried a lot of pistols.
By far, the one with the best out of the box trigger was the later version of the Ruger SR, the one with the D shaped mag release.
It had the least takeup and travel and smoothest action, with a very good reset.
I thought it was better than some of the hammer fired ones.
How it would hold up for the rigors of 3 gun??
Old August 23, 2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Sharkbite

There are lots of top shooters running Glocks. The trigger is easily improved with a little work and a simple parts swap.

Sights as well, can be changed to whatever you like. My G35 wears a set of Heinie sights and the sight picture is exactly like my 1911.

With the statement about mud and water and just plain crappy conditions. Id go Glock before any hammer fired gun