The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2016, 07:19 PM   #26
B.L.E.

A lot of collector's items actually drop in value when the people old enough to have nostalgia for those items start to die off. To their children and grand children, those items are merely curiosities from the past with no emotional connection to their youth.
Old November 25, 2016, 01:12 AM   #27
Gaucho Gringo

Yep. just look at how prices of pre WW2 cars has tanked. The same thing will happen in 20 years to today's million dollar 60's muscle cars.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old November 25, 2016, 10:14 AM   #28
dahermit

Yup...$3.00 per each times 25 in a box = $75.00 per box. Shoot them up, what's $75.00 anyway. If one is concerned about online fees and shipping charges, Craigs List has no listing fees and you can specify in-person pick-up. So, go ahead and shoot them.
Old November 25, 2016, 10:02 PM   #29
jrothWA

From the 50's, just shoot them ...

as far a reloading, you best find the smaller diameter REM 157 primers, which haven't been made since the 70's.

Mid-80's i took a peck fruit basket of paper shells out to the farm and blew them away, had about a dozen went blewp .
Old November 28, 2016, 08:02 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Yup...$3.00 per each times 25 in a box = $75.00 per box. Shoot them up, what's $75.00 anyway. If one is concerned about online fees and shipping charges, Craigs List has no listing fees and you can specify in-person pick-up. So, go ahead and shoot them."

You're assuming many things in that statement, and all of them are what I call PERFECT assumptions (that is, everything will come together perfectly and $$$$$!!!!! Right. That's not how it works 99.99999999% of the time.)

1. That you'll find someone on Craig's List who is interested in buying "collector" shotshells.

2. That they will be interested in ALL of the shotshells (otherwise, see no. 4).

3. That they would be willing to give you $3 a shell (which, remember, is the price on a COLLECTOR site aimed AT collectors).

4. That you'll actually be able to sell off all of the shells within a reasonable period of time... say, 10 years.

That's a damned lot of assumptions, and you've got absolutely nothing to back up those assumptions other than a simple, and flawed, speculative formula -- If old paper hull shot shell, then $$$$$$!!!!!

A South Park fan would call that the "underpants" formula from the episode where gnomes steal underwear based on their business formula of 1, collect underpants; 2, ???; 3, Profit!

I've been collecting cartridges, including shot shells, for the better part of 40 years. It's not at all uncommon to go to gun shows and see many dealers with loose paper and plastic shells on their tables, most of which are priced at 25 CENTS or less.

Often, modern plastic shells are priced far higher than the old paper hulls because, well, plastic is assumed to be still functional.

Maybe you're missing a perfect business opportunity? Go to a gun show, buy up a bunch of cheap paper hull shot shells, and then sell them for $3 a pop on Craigslist...

I'll say it again...

Just because something is somewhat old doesn't mean that it's an instant antique or that it has value (real or imagined) to someone else.

To think otherwise is unrealistic and, well, silly.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 28, 2016, 11:32 AM   #31
dahermit

If you put 1960's paper shotshells on Craig's List and they do not sell, you can do one of two things...give them away to someone who thinks that they will appreciate in value over the years, or put them on a shelf. A Craig's List listing costs nothing. Well, you could shoot them but it begs the question: Why? I saw some 1920's paper shells shot off in the fifties and almost all were hang-fires...with the emphasis on "hang". Several hung to the point where they were thought to be duds. They were about thirty years old before being shot. The 1960 shells are now fifty-six or so years old. Therefore, they likely are not a good choice (not legal for migratory birds the least of the concern) for anything but leaving on the shelf. Would any reasonable person chance a miss on doves, rabbits, or trap etc. or the poorer performance via paper wads? They are of little value as shotgun fodder at this point whereas if one can get over the childish (and silly) desire to see if they still go bang, letting them sit somewhere until they do fetch a reasonable price seems somehow smarter to me (what are fired paper shotshells worth?). It will cost nothing to leave them on a shelf. By the way, I do not watch South Park...it is a children's show.
Old November 28, 2016, 11:41 AM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

You can also study alchemy and change the lead shot in the shells to gold.

THEN they would be worth keeping around.

"you can do one of two things...give them away to someone who thinks that they will appreciate in value over the years, or put them on a shelf."

No, there's a third option. Use them for what they're intended to be -- shot shells -- not objects of hope and expectation that they will someday, in your lifetime, be something that they likely will never be.

But, all this makes me wonder...

Since you're SO very sure that these things are going to be a future store of retirement-sized wealth...

Why haven't you offered to buy them from Brian?

Old November 28, 2016, 05:25 PM   #33
dahermit

Deleted.

Last edited by dahermit; November 28, 2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old November 29, 2016, 11:18 PM   #34
briandg

Hey, Mike,I don't have them, but since you collect, would you spend a few bucks and shipping for these full boxes? Probably not, I guess, a person would have to be a little whacked. I'm sure that gene would be happy to share.

I have to say, it's kinda hard to o
Imagine why someone would fire the things. Felt wads, soft shot, no liners, etc...

I value my hunting, I'm not taking this stuff after quail. Why would I go out and use them on clay, when they aren't at all as good as the Wal-Mart case goods?

But, I'm not sure how this thing is still going. I'm going to put my red and green paper hulls up for Christmas again. They're pretty.
Old December 1, 2016, 12:13 PM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

Brian,

I tend to stay away from full boxes simply because they can be a real pain to properly protect.

Old December 1, 2016, 01:02 PM   #36
briandg

I see. I have a partial box of sixties era .44 magnum. It's a funny one. Box price is handwritten on the bottom, so is the single price.