The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 12, 2015, 04:16 PM   #1
BerdanSS

S&W safety hammerless

Okay I was browsing at the LGS, and a little smith on the bottom shelf in the back caught my eye. It's a 4th model safety hammerless in .38
all blueing has been replaced with an even browning over the entire pistol, crack/chip free black rubber grips and all mechanics are in good working order. The bore is dark, but has good rifling. 3.25" barrel They have it priced for $265.

The .38 s&w is one cartridge Ive come to really enjoy. Bad price? (I've never paid tag price at the shop by the way, I ALWAYS haggle

Last edited by BerdanSS; July 12, 2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old July 13, 2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Six_Rounds

A working S&W will always fetch a little more, but unless it as a particularly rare model I wouldn't pay much over $200 for that gun if its got no finish left.
Old July 13, 2015, 04:59 PM   #3
gyvel

I paid $275.00 about 8 mos. ago on Gunbroker for one with 98% finish.
SIFE
Old July 13, 2015, 06:18 PM   #4
lamarw

I have one with a nickel finish (approximately 70% remaining finish). It has a star below the serial number on the butt and a date code on the grip frame under the grip indicating it was refinished by S&W in May of 1929. It also has the original harder rubber grips with the serial number scratched on the interior of the right grip if I remember correctly. This was the way it was done at the time. The grips are well worn but without any chips or cracks.

The revolver was shipped from the factory on May 2, 1901 to Schoverling Daly & Gale Co., New York City. All of the above is documented in a S&W Factory Letter. Serial # of mine is 129393.

Other than the finish loss, the revolver is nice and tight. It is a good shooter. The barrel has a bright interior and strong rifling. I reload my on .38 S&W rounds since I also have a Pre-Victory Model in the same caliber. Factory ammunition is still available, and I initially acquired some from Bass Pro.

I paid $75 last year at a local auction house and also paid a buyer's premium and sales tax (another 15 bucks together).

You might want to check GunBroker for any recent sales in the condition of the gun you are interested in.

The serial number will also be stamped on the face of the cylinder.
Old July 13, 2015, 07:35 PM   #5
BerdanSS

After more research I've decided to pass on it. I'd feel comfortable with it for $175. Best they'll do is $240. Oh well, that just means my 1905 won't have to share ammo