The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2016, 08:35 AM   #1
Rothdel

Solid value Tactical Shot gun

So I screwed up and purchased a left handed 870 figuring I would buy an extra barrel and have a tactical shotgun at some point. Yep should have done some research and realized the left handed 870 requires a special barrel which they don't sell in an 18 inch variety.

So looking for an 18-18.5 inch tactical shotgun (does not have to be left handed) that will not break the bank. Would like to be under $300 if that is possible.

This gun will be more of a range toy than anything else although it might get pressed into home defense at my cabin if I'm going to be there for more than a couple of days with some woods exploring.
Old November 7, 2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Chief Brody

You could shorten a left-hand barrel for a lot less than $300.
Old November 7, 2016, 09:37 AM   #3
FITASC

Yep, buy a regular LH barrel and have it cut down to your desired 18.5" length
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 7, 2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Rothdel

Any idea where I would do that?

I live in the middle of no where with no gun smiths local. I do not have the tools to do this.
Old November 7, 2016, 09:53 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Google will answer that in seconds.

There are lots of smiths out there that you can mail a barrel to.
Old November 7, 2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Chief Brody

I've always heard good things about these guys:
http://www.roseactionsports.com/shop-services.html
Old November 7, 2016, 12:17 PM   #7
FITASC

I sent you a PM
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 7, 2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Old Bill Dibble

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/411549040

http://www.gunblast.com/Armscor-M5.htm
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old November 7, 2016, 02:01 PM   #9
dreaming

What is a LH tactical shotgun is the question. This link talks more of a build than you may have in mind. http://www.aiptactical.com/Left_Hand_Tactical.php

But it may give you some ideas, such as getting a 20" LH barrel for the 870 you have.

I prefer an 870, since that is what I have but some like a Mossberg. I don't know if it is wise to mix the two ,shooting one tactical and another for other purposes. Before doing that I would consider selling the 870 and getting a Mossberg with a vent rib and a tactical barrel.
Old November 7, 2016, 02:12 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43odFm0mrI
Larry Potterfield says you can do it!
Harry potter probably agrees with him(so says my auto correct).
Old November 7, 2016, 06:14 PM   #11
Snyper

Quote:

I live in the middle of no where with no gun smiths local. I do not have the tools to do this.
All you need is a hacksaw and a file along with some sandpaper
Old November 7, 2016, 07:13 PM   #12
FITASC

And maybe a square, some bluing touch-up, and the ability to drill and tap to replace the front sight.