The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 18, 2019, 10:14 PM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by veprdude
What's your least favorite firearm you own?
CZ-82
Jeepaholic
Old August 19, 2019, 02:29 AM   #27
MTT TL

reteach- That might be a technique issue.

My least favorite is my Ruger LCP. Everything about it is horrible.
Old August 19, 2019, 04:20 PM   #28
M88

Ruger Mark III 22/45 LITE ... the older version that is a royal pain in the butt to break down. That said, because it's a fixed barrel it tends to be more accurate than my wheel gun 22's. Cleaning my guns after shooting is almost as much "fun" for me as actually shooting them, and breaking this one down to clean it, and then getting it back together easily, is just not "fun"!
Old August 20, 2019, 05:26 AM   #29
kozak6

Mosin Nagant M91/30.

The stock is saturated through and through with grease, and you almost need a mallet to work the bolt. Tried all the tricks, nothing.

I got it really cheap back in the day, so I'm not so concerned about having money tied up in it. I figure it will make a cool wall hanger someday.
Old August 22, 2019, 08:06 PM   #30
Carriertxv

Ruger SBH in 44 magnum with plow handle. Only way I can shoot it anymore is with very light loads.
Old August 22, 2019, 11:29 PM   #31
doofus47

The ones my friends keep leaving in my safe "for just a bit...."
Old August 23, 2019, 11:07 AM   #32
pete2

Glock 19................
Old August 23, 2019, 11:36 PM   #33
Colorado Redneck

One of my brothers and I jointly bought a Monkey Wards double barrel 12 gauge about 1970. Neither of us knew squat about shotguns. No recoil pad, just a plastic butt plate. Looong barrels, weighs a ton. Went dove hunting with it one year, shot up a bunch of ammo, and had a bruised shoulder. My brother took the gun with him when he moved to another state around 1980. Well, he passed away a few years back, and his son asked if I wanted that shotgun, even though one chamber won't fire. I said yes, so that ugly thing resides in my safe. Just sentimental value to me.
Old August 24, 2019, 08:06 AM   #34
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
I sell all the guns I don't like.

But there's one I haven't gotten a chance to sell yet: Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Target. Songs could be written about how bad the trigger is. And about how picky it is with ammo. And about how often I get FTF malfunctions.

Just no.
You sound just like me! Only mine's the Hunter.

Hats off to Veprdude for starting this thread...it has been the most entertaining one that I've read in quite some time!

Last edited by sparkyv; August 24, 2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old August 24, 2019, 09:43 AM   #35
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post

Ah... Easy way out: A 1916 Spanish Mauser with something massively wrong with the locking lugs in the receiver. I attempted to remove the barrel to investigate (and save the barrel if the receiver was junk). No luck.

I had a gunsmith try to pull the barrel. No luck.

I had another gunsmith use his over-kill hydraulic barrel vise to try to pull the barrel. No luck.

I said, 'screw it, get the torch', and we hit that stubborn SOB with heat, a pipe wrench, and cheater bars on both the pipe wrench and action wrench. No luck.
I think a relieve cut on the barrel shoulder will do it. Some rifles are notoriously tight. That's the method to deal with them if you don't have to keep the old barrel.

As for me I like all the guns I have handled, mine or the customers'. I know given time and money they all can be fixed. One exception though. A brand new Jimenez pistol in .38acp. It is intrinsically inferior and unsafe by design. There is no way I can make it good enough. A customer inherited it from his late father, who was known to be frugal. I told her not even to load it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk