The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 8, 2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Lugerman

deleted. thanks

Last edited by Lugerman; December 9, 2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: redundant
Old December 8, 2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Doyle

Those are the locking lugs. Perfectly normal. If you are satisfied with the accuracy of the rifle when you are shooting, then just keep a very thin film of grease on them. If you want to try and improve accuracy, you can lap the lugs.
Old December 8, 2014, 04:44 PM   #3
flashhole

Yep, normal. I recommend graphite powder over grease or oil as a lube. The petroleum based stuff is good and provides moisture protection as well but I don't like how it grabs every possible piece of dirt it comes in contact with.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 8, 2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Lugerman

I might have worded my post badly. Sorry.

My question is, is it normal for the lugs of the bolt to have those wear marks in the finish even when brand new and I haven't inserted it into the rifle even once? Or do these marks indicate a bolt that has been used for more than simple fire testing at factory?

I cleaned the barrel of the new rifle and found powder residue, but I'm assuming it's from those factory test rounds. thank you
Old December 8, 2014, 05:18 PM   #5
tahunua001

Yes its normal. Its likely from test firing at the factory and fitting process. Also may have gotten scruffed in shipping or the store may have inserted it as a display model. Youre fine. Just keep it oiled/greased/whatever you would like you use and it'll be fine.
Old December 9, 2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Mobuck

Put some grease on the bolt lugs and light oil on the cocking surfaces and work the bolt `100-200 times before shooting it. Then all the surfaces will look like that and it will be smoother all over.