The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Curt Searcy

Looking to purchase a shotgun for home defense

do you guys give me some pros and cons of some varies makes and models? Thanks.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:29 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

I will venture that over 90% will say a pump from Mossberg or Remington over a semi or other types. Pumps are cheap and somewhat reliable, but their main quality is their cost which is less than other shotguns of equal quality and most handguns
They can also be brutal which certain types of ammo, on both ends
Many like to add way too many gizmos, a look called "tactical" by some and "tacky cool" by others

A simple gun, coupled with lessons and practice is your best friend, whether you go pump, semi, SxS, O/U, or single shot

KISS really is best
Old January 16, 2013, 09:44 PM   #3
PetahW

A reliable (aka: US-made) pumpgun is the top choice of most experienced gunners.

A Rem 870 or Mossy 500 will be dependable, and easy to firnd parts for, if/when it ever needs service - not to mention they have the most aftermarket accessories available for them, since they're the most popular/sold.

They're fairly safe around children if they're kept with the mag loaded, with the trigger pulled on an empty chamber, to make for no-brainer chamber loading in an emergency.

(I ensure the magazine & chamber's empty B 4 pulling the trigger, THEN load the magazine - for safety.)

Last edited by PetahW; January 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Moby

There are several good shotguns on the market today.

I'm a Remington 870 guy. Had on in the coast Guard, I have one today.
It's a war horse.

That being said it is not my go to firearm for home defense. A lot of guys on here are about to verbally kick my butt however a shotgun is not the best firearm for home defense. I used to have to sweep vessels wit this weapon (Rem 870) and it's long, and cumbersome for extremly tight quarters. A handgun is better IMHO.

My wife and I have a plan worked out if there is ever a break in. She grabs the shotgun and we both work our way to my childs room. Once there, I go find the threat. She blasts anyone coming in the childs door. It's a great last line in the sand gun.

To move through a home, a pistol with a light and maybe laser in my opinion is better. If you already have a reliable handgun, I can only give you a Remington 870 point of view. It neve fails, has incredible stopping power. And will intimidate any foe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuW-eoDIGps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o19uQDce7OQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus

Last edited by Moby; January 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
EdInk

I think that a handgun AND shotgun are both part of good home defense set-up.

That said, I would suggest a Remington 870 because I find the actions to be much smoother than the Mossberg 590.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:30 PM   #6
mikalangelo

Funny

Benelli M4 hands down the best. That is why it's in the hands of the US army, Marines etc...
Old January 17, 2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Xfire68

I have been super happy with my Mossberg 500 8 shot.

I put on a Hogue stock and forgrip which gave it a much better grip and recoil pad.

I have seen them as low as $360 locally.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:32 AM   #8
Slopemeno

Don't overthink it. Either the Mossberg 500 or 870 base madels are fine. I own both and prefer the 870.

The key here is- spend some quality time getting to know the gun you buy. It's been said on this forum before that the only thing your home defense shotgun really needs is 'wear marks'. Shoot it until you burn in that muscle memory. Fortunately there's a bunch of venues where you can shoot a shotgun to get that familiarity rolling, from Sporting Clays (love it- and fun with a defensive shotgun) trap, Skeet, etc. Once you're more familiar, then try a defensive shotgun course.

870- narrower receiver. Safety button behind the trigger favors a right- hander. IMHO a little better handling shotgun overall. Slide release is ahead of the trigger guard, but you really don't need to access it if you load like I do (hammer down, empty chamber, safety off, full magazine, so no need to touch the slide release). Both of my 870's are the older mag cap detent system, which I prefer since you can add a magazine extension. Shell latches are staked, uh, *usually* into the receiver. Easily resolved by a gunsmith with the right tools though.

Mossberg 500. Inexpensive. Light aluminum receiver. Tang safety, so it's pretty ambidextrous. If you buy a used Mossberg 500 make sure you have a metal safety- you can buy them aftermarket. Mag capacity is fixed, though I understand you can now get extensions for the shorter 590's now..anyone? Shell latches are held into the receiver by the trigger group. Usually a plastic trigger group, though in their defense I think I saw *one* broken trigger guard when I was gunsmithing. I used a Mossberg as a home defense gun for two or three decades and It's been pretty reliable. I could stand to replace the magazine spring after 32 years of being loaded.
Old January 18, 2013, 03:20 AM   #9
iraiam

Get a shoulder stock

One thing I would definitely recommend no matter what brand you buy, is to buy one with a shoulder stock, I prefer a shoulder stock without a pistol grip.

If you think you need a shotgun with just a pistol grip and no shoulder stock then you really need a pistol.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 18, 2013, 04:05 AM   #10
rep1954

I bought a Remington 870 Express 20ga. Youth for HD and hunting. This gun comes with a Remchoke to interchange chokes on a 21" barrel and a 1" shorter stock. It's size makes it easy enough to manage doing walk throughs in the house and I don't know anyone who would want to get hit within 30' with No.3 buckshot from it. This gun serves well out in the field to.
Old January 18, 2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Jkady

Mossberg 590A1 with the regular sythetic stock and a 18.5" barrel is my choice. Don't need the tacticool BS like rifle/ghost ring sights or to coat the thing in rails. It's a good bit heavier than a 500 so even with 2 3/4 buck it's pretty soft shooting, I've let several petite women shoot it and none have had a problem handling it.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:40 AM   #12
jason_iowa

I use a benelli M4. Any reputable pump or ultra reliable auto is fine. If its not something you are going to train with extensively I would use a pump or some sort of double.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #13
breakingcontact

Mossberg 930, not the 930 SPX, just the short barrel 930.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:27 AM   #14
scattergun98908

I have the Mossberg 500 20ga and like it alot. It came with 2 barrels, a 26in vent rib with removable chokes and a 18.5in barrel that I have on it for home defense. The only mod I did was put on a Tru-glo snap on front sight (red) for quicker acquisition. For home defense ammo I use both #4 birdshot and #3buckshot (20 pellets of 25cal). I feel perfectly comfortable with my setup. Try shouldering some different makes/models and see what feels good to you.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954
I bought a Remington 870 Express 20ga. Youth for HD and hunting. This gun comes with a Remchoke to interchange chokes on a 21" barrel and a 1" shorter stock. It's size makes it easy enough to manage doing walk throughs in the house and I don't know anyone who would want to get hit within 30' with No.3 buckshot from it. This gun serves well out in the field to.
This, except mine's a Mossberg 500 youth 20 ga. (I switched from an 870 -- finally decided I like the controls better on the Mossberg.) Nice little gun, cost me around $250, new.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Hoosier_Daddy

Remington 870 youth. Even thoght I am 57 years old. For HD, the shorter stock and lighter weight are just a plus for me.