The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 6, 2011, 10:30 PM   #1
yellowlegs

got the 58 rem today front site is off

well i have been reading all the info for two weeks . at least 4 hours a night after work and im only at page 54 . I just cant stop reading . so today i went to cabellas to buy a 58 rem replica. 4.5 hours later i left the store with the last one in stock. got it home to do full inspection and noticed the front site is set at an angle.. im wondering if anyone of you with some experience has experienced this ?? and will it be on site or should i retunr it?
i must say this is by far the most interesting reading ive found thus far on anything i feel like a lil kid again. ive been instructed to wait till the lil ladie is sleep before starting my nightly reading of yalls awsome forum here. nothing else exists but page after page untill my eyes burn. thank you all for having this avail for me to enjoy

Last edited by yellowlegs; February 6, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Ben Towe

Is it bent or actually attached at an angle?
Old February 6, 2011, 11:00 PM   #3
yellowlegs

a little bit of an angle
Old February 6, 2011, 11:05 PM   #4
rdstrain49

None of the Rem. clones that I have seen at Cabelas lately have the barrel indexed properly. I bought one anyway. My advice, take it back, go to your local gun shop and order a Uberti. Just for what it's worth.
Old February 6, 2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Bill Akins

I agree. Take it back and get a refund.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 6, 2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Ben Towe

I would take it back, and if they aren't indexing barrels properly I would probably follow rdstrain's advice and get a Uberti. I just bought one through Taylor's and Co. and can attest they are good quality.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Bill Akins

Yellowlegs, if you take it back and they offer you another one just like it and you think that one's front sight looks okay, do this before you accept it as a replacement.

Take a little pocket flashlight with you to the store. Shine the light into the end of the barrel and then cock the hammer to rotate the cylinder and lock it and look at each and every separate cylinder chamber from the muzzle end of the barrel.

You are looking to make sure that each cylinder chamber indexes perfectly with the barrel. You want to see the inside of the barrel and the chamber of each separate cylinder chamber perfectly in line with the barrel. You do NOT want to see metal on either side of each chamber. If you see that, that means the hole of your chamber is not perfectly in line with your barrel.
Which is sloppy measuring/manufacturing of boring the holes in the cylinder
at the exact correct locations.

That can cause you to spit lead out the side of the barrel to cylinder gap. It is true that the forcing cone on the breech end of the barrel will sometimes correct and "funnel" the ball correctly into the barrel even if you have a cylinder or two that is off just a little and not perfectly aligned with the barrel. (Which is actually a more common flaw than one would think).

But it is much better if each chamber is ALREADY perfectly aligned with the barrel when the hammer is fully cocked rather than relying on the forcing cone to counteract that alignment flaw. If it isn't, look at another revolver until you find one that all the cylinders perfectly match up with the barrel by you looking down the barrel as you check each chamber with your light.

I know you are new at this so I just wanted to advise you to check this.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 7, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old February 7, 2011, 12:38 AM   #8
freedom475

Cylinder alighnment is a very good point to check.

That being said.. IF you don't like it, SEND IT BACK..Cabela's is Awsome about standing behind there stuff..any deal you make with them is Never final until "you" say it is.. I have bought Cap&Balls from them, taken them out and shot them a few cylinders full before I ever decide if I am going to keep it.

If it hits an inch or two to the left, it is defective in my book and back she goes. NO questions asked.. I just mark the return lable with the "Defective" code and They just send me a new one to try out .. try that with Midway:barf:..

Cabela's even has a return code for if you bought 6 items, picked the best one and are returning the other 5!

Maybe Pietta has had a bad run of Rems..But it kind of sounds like you may have gotten the last one the store had just cause everyone else had looked at it and refused it because of the site issue.

Pietta vs. Uberti.. well I have had both in the Rem 58 and can say that without a doubt the Uberti was NO better put together than the newer Piettas..(Don't get me wrong, it was still a Rem58, so it was Great), but the Uberti was not as accurate as several of my Pietta's so I sold it... The only real nice thing I liked better about the Uberti was the Dove tailed front site and loading lever retention notch. But for the price, that is a D@**ed expensive dovetail.

My favorite Pietta is the color case hardend Rem58 with the checkered grips... if you are thinking to spend the extra cash to get a Uberti.. I strongly suggest you try the Case Hardened/Checkered Grip Pietta... You have Nothing to loose cause Cabela's will keep swapping them out until you get one that you LOVE!

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old February 7, 2011, 01:59 AM   #9
zippy13

None of the Rem. clones that I have seen at Cabelas lately have the barrel indexed properly.
Ditto
Old February 7, 2011, 06:32 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

It is a matter of what you are willing to accept

I have read other posts regarding this issue and while I have never seen it myself in a new pietta 58 I confronted it numerous times in kit revolvers as I turned the barrel into the frame. (I just ordered one on Friday so perhaps I will see it for the first time.) I am assuming you mean that the sight is out of alignment RIGHT OR LEFT because the barrel is not turned into the frame properly. (Others are talking about barrel "indexing".) In other words the problem is not with sight installation on the barrel but with barrel installation in the frame. If this is not the problem you should stop reading this post right now.

It is fairly easy to correct this problem yourself although you have to know what you are doing.

I agree with those who say, take it back, BUT I would bet that every one of these guys (including myself) would tell you that they are not opposed to taking a file to the bolt, or bending the bolt leg, or tightening a spring on a new revolver.

If the problem is as I understand it to be, you can correct it easier than filing the bolt. But at the same time there is more danger of damaging the revolver if the proper precautions are not taken.
Old February 7, 2011, 06:36 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

OH----BTW!

Welcome to the forum!
Old February 7, 2011, 07:17 AM   #12
c.robertson

First, ALWAYS properly check any firearm closely for any mechanical issues before laying your money down.
Second, Take it back. Cabela's will gladly refund/replace.

As far as indexing, I purchased a 1858 Remington / Pietta last August and it is perfect in every way, no complaints whatsoever. Shoots great too.
Old February 7, 2011, 10:08 AM   #13
Hardcase

My Cabela's store is good about letting me take a close look at the gun before I buy. If there's any question about it, they'll bring out another. That's good for me, but I guess not so good for the next guy who comes along and doesn't check.

It's been eight months or so since I bought a Pietta at Cabela's, but the last one was fine - first one I looked at.

The price is good enough that I think that it's worth picking through their stock. If they say no, then I'll go with the get a refund and order elsewhere crowd.
Old February 7, 2011, 11:11 AM   #14
sewerman

i guess i was lucky.

bought four during the sale ($199.99ea) just before christmas & they are top shelf.

very accurate, good timing ,indexing & a smooth trigger.

there's always a monday or friday gun. i agree cabal's are known to stand behind their products. I wouldn't have bought them mail order otherwise.

good luck....

S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old February 7, 2011, 01:06 PM   #15
arcticap

It's not as big of a deal with a target model that has an adjustable rear sight. But if it's a non-adjustable sight model than just take it back. Another one can be ordered and shipped to the local store for free. Then inspect it closely before taking it home.
Don't forget to sign up for Cabela's emails and Rewards Club card to receive discount points for every purchase and coupon offers.

Last edited by arcticap; February 7, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old February 7, 2011, 01:25 PM   #16
ClemBert

Read all about it here. Don't be lead to believe that Uberti is perfect.
Old February 7, 2011, 03:08 PM   #17
napp

I bought the 1858 Pietta (case hardened, checkered grips) from Cabela's in December. It shoots right on the money for windage. It does tend to shoot a trifle low; but that isn't pertinent to this discussion.
Old February 7, 2011, 11:31 PM   #18
Hellgate

I have gotten rid of THREE Pietta stainless '58s (in a row) because the chamber to barrel alignment was so bad that when fired, the ball would wrench the chamber over to where the cylinder would jump out of the bolt stop notch and freeze up the gun. Once I got a couple of Uberti Milenniums my problems were solved. I've only had the alignment problem on one of my 7 Euroarms Remingtons but a Uberti cylinder dropped right in and that problem was solved.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 14, 2011, 05:00 AM   #19
Blankwaffe

Ive gota Pietta Rem 58 I purchased in 2009 that had the front sight blade installed at an angle(leaning to the right)in the barrel.Barrel was timed correctly.
I believe I posted about it on this forum at the time,can't remember.
The gunsmith removed the sight and installed it correctly.Took about ten minutes.
So I'd say its not uncommon to see this issue.

Last edited by Blankwaffe; February 14, 2011 at 05:10 AM. Reason: ETA