The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 6, 2007, 08:50 PM   #76
JohnEm

Winchester model 190 takedown manual

Harley, Can you also send me a copy of the 190 takedown manual? I have had one sitting in a closet for many years and it needs a cleaning.
Old January 16, 2007, 03:46 PM   #77
billalaqua

model 190 takedown

Hi All,

Could someone please email me a copy of the takedown manual for the winchester 190. My old gun and myself would greatly appreciate it.

[email protected]

Thanks!
Old January 18, 2007, 09:19 PM   #78
frogstarjgw

My winchester 190 brought me to this site. I am looking for some takedown instructions for it,but I may be a little late. If someone else has them I would appreciate it if they could be sent to my E-mail address below.
Thanks in advance.

john

[email protected]
Old January 31, 2007, 08:43 PM   #79
divkat9

I got the link to the takedown on the 190 but after drifting the pin out that holds the magazine tube in I still can't get the tube out. Any suggestions?
I've tried soaking the area in oil and have managed to get it to wiggle a little but with no forward movement.
Old February 2, 2007, 10:19 AM   #80
frogstarjgw

Where did you find the link to the 190 takedown info? Could you post it or send it to [email protected]?
Old February 2, 2007, 11:49 AM   #81
divkat9

a couple pages bak in this thread, there is a link to the takedown.
Old February 2, 2007, 06:51 PM   #82
frogstarjgw

Thank you!! I went through this thread and missed it. Thanks again!!

john
Old February 4, 2007, 12:53 AM   #83
Rolan

Yet another 190 take down request

Harley,

Just found the forum while 'googling' for information on my 190. Please send the info to my email as well; [email protected] Many thanks in advance!

Rolan
Old March 15, 2007, 09:19 PM   #84
Farm boy

Winchester 190

Harley I also need the takedown manual for the 190. My email is [email protected] .
Thanks
Old March 17, 2007, 12:35 PM   #85
slickab

Winchester model 190

While recently researching my Ted Williams 3T mod. no. 273.2400 22 cal. semi on Sears Roebuck Firearms, I discovered that my rifle is actually a Winchester model 190. While firing the gun the ejection port remained open and a spring and pin fell out. The pin appears to fit into the spring. They probably came out of the bolt. I would like to know how to disassemble the gun to clean, repair and refinish it. Some members got some info from Harley. Info, photos or any help will be appreciated. My e-mail is [email protected]

Last edited by slickab; March 17, 2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: e-mail address not highlighted?
Old March 18, 2007, 08:52 AM   #86
DuaneBryant

Link To Manual, and Thread Summary

First, a BIG thank you to Harley Nolden. His generous sharing of information inspired me to register just to post the requested info again, and a summary of the posts on this thread that give assembly/repair hints. I have no affiliation.

Photographed/Illustrated assembly disassembly manual posted by Harley:
http://www.swishercs.com/winchester/

Here you can buy a color photocopy for $5 plus shipping:
http://www.rediscovered-shooting-tre...chester190.htm

Comprehensive schematic parts list and purchase source:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=0950z190
--
Collection/Summary of posts in this thread for assembly/repair hints I found most valuable:

No need to take the barrel off to REALLY clean the chamber. do what we do with 10/22's and my T/C Classic. Go get a 22 CENTERFIRE bore brush, bass bristles for sure an brass core if you can. Use and empty 22 lr case to judge howdeep the chamber is. add just a touch more in length. Now bend the brush about 90* that far back from the tip of the brush. Now you can stick that front part into the chamber tru the ejection port and the back, theaded part can be rocked back and forth (not in and out, but you can do that too) and you will clean the lead ring that builds in front of the chamber. This works great for cleaning the chamber and you can do it right at the range whenever you need to. Just throw it in your range kit.

After scrubbing the chamber this way follow up by running a patch or 4 thru it. Thats it. WAY easier tha taking things apart.

I recently worked on one of these interesting little guns. It is a LITTLE strange in design but I liked it.
--
I just finished rebuilding a model 190 Winchester after Mr. Nolan sent me the take down instructions.
I, like a lot of others, had a bunch of trouble in re-inserting the bolt and the trigger housing properly, as the cartridge would not enter the chamber, and after about ten or twelve tries, if finally dawned on me that the problem was the long bolt that mounts the stock after inserting the bolt spring into the channel, was pushing the metal clip that rests under the bolt, out to where the extractor would not work, as the bolt could not come back far enough.

If anyone is taking that model apart, it is a pain to try to get back together unless you figure it out, and you can only figure it out by looking straight down at the mounting bolt, and noticing the gap between the clip and the back of the housing.
--
i bent the trigger spring on my 190 and it lightened to 3.5 lbs. on the stock bolt problem, if you install the stud first you can position the metal clip (recoil plate is what winchester calls it) in the proper spot. the instructions claim stock removal is not recomended in normal disassembly, however i find the easy way to install th bolt spring & guide is with the stock off. you insert bolt spring& guide from rear, compess spring, hold in place with metal ruler & slide stock on.
--
End of Summary
--
About Me:
My father got me my first gun, a BB gun at 4-years-old. Had to have him cock it for me, for the first 3 years. Had to prop it in the fork of a small dogwood to shoot it for the first year or so.

My favorite uncle bought this rifle for me, as my first firearm when I was a boy. I cherish it, as it is the only firearm I have ever owned. I needed info for it, including how to replace the little sliding rear site part that fell out. This thread has been a blessing to me.

Can anyone tell me how to help keep the little sliding rear site from falling out from under the spring slot?

Cheers!
Duane

Last edited by DuaneBryant; March 18, 2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: To clarify
Old April 20, 2007, 06:46 PM   #87
David Nelsen

Winchester model 190 and Remington Speedmaster

I have both the above rifles and have partially stripped down, but would like to do a very thorough cleaning. I am trying to figure out how to use this forum. Thanks for info, schematics etc. David Nelsen [email protected]
Old September 13, 2007, 09:19 AM   #88
suwanneeonline

Winchester 190 Owned by an indiot (Me)

I need some serious help apperantly. I have this rifle, the Winchester 190 and NO IDEA how to tear it down.....It was given to me, and I was advised that I also need a 'ramrod'...I think I know what that is, but wow.....I am clueless..<walbridge(at)gmail.com>

Thanks for any help
Old November 4, 2007, 10:50 PM   #89
PhilG

Problem Fixed Winchester 190

I have now solved the problem; or rather I took it to a GOOD gunsmith who saw the problem instantly and had it solved in about 30-45 minutes. I say a GOOD gunsmith because my friend had taken to a different shop which had charged him about $35.00 to recondition the rifle but had done the rifle no good.
There were two problems. For the major problem look at step 9 in the take down manual. The barrel collar was loose in the frame making the head space wrong (loose). There is no 'adjusting' the head space on that rifle. It is fixed when the barrel is tight in the frame. He took it apart, gave it a good cleaning, and put the barrel and collar in tight. The collar is treaded. He put some copper anti seize compound on them. He did not have the specific spanner wrench for the collar so he carefully used a punch that fit the flat of he collar.
The second problem was lead in the cone of the barrel where the rounds feed into the chamber. It was layered so deeply that he had to scrape it off.
I think only copper clad rounds from now on.
A good cleaning and oiling and it now works fine.
Old November 21, 2007, 09:12 PM   #90
d2dave

Desperately Need Model 190 Exploded View

I've been searching for years for an exploded view of a Model 190 so that I can identify the part I need to replace to get my first rifle back up and shooting so that I can introduce my oldest son to the sport. I would greatly appreciate anyone who could email me a jpg or pdf manual or anything that I can use to identify this part. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Dave ([email protected]
Old November 21, 2007, 09:44 PM   #91
jlyent

look at post #86 it has much info. jim
Old April 15, 2008, 04:42 PM   #92
Piper1

I am also looking for a takedown manual for Winchester's Model 190 .22 cal. rifle is it still availible? Thanx
Old April 16, 2008, 09:28 PM   #93
bkras

Winchester model 190 takedown manual

I recently received a Winchester Model 190 from my uncle. He hasn't fired it in years and doesn't have the manual for it. I found this forum and hope that someone could email me a copy of the takedown manual. Thanks.
Old April 20, 2008, 07:32 PM   #94
ajs300shortmag

need help

can someone please have pitty on me and send me the instructions on how to reassemble the winchester model 190 .22? i got the spring in by removing the stock, but now i cant get the trigger assembly back in. i need help [email protected]
Old April 24, 2008, 05:16 PM   #95
ach1950

winchester 190 teardown

could somebody please send me an instruction manual or a schematic for a teardown of the winchester model 190? Anything will help.

[email protected]
Old April 27, 2008, 01:13 PM   #96
Remington M1934

Link To Manual, help

For some reason I am unable to access the link to:

" Photographed/Illustrated assembly disassembly manual posted by Harley:
http://www.swishercs.com/winchester/ "

I am asked for a password or confirmation (?!)

? Any other way to obtain this manual easily ?

JB

[email protected]
Old April 28, 2008, 12:42 PM   #97
vic_price

Link to 190 takedown manual

I found this on another thread and it worked for me.

PDF scan of photocopied manual at
http://ia360943.us.archive.org/1/ite...190_manual.pdf
Old May 1, 2008, 10:17 PM   #98
GUNS4FREEDOM

Win. 190 Take Down Inst.

Having Little Trouble Getting Bolt And Boltguide/spring Back In.can You Help Me With Details On This? Thanks
Old May 11, 2008, 11:46 AM   #99
levy

winchester model 190

If anyone has a teardown manual for a winchester 22 model 190, Will you please email it to me at [email protected]
Old May 18, 2008, 08:11 AM   #100
santowis

Winchester 190

Harley,

My fishing buddy just gave me his almost mint-condition 190 .22 with no manual or instructions. If you could email them to me at [email protected] , I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jerry