The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 16, 2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Georgian

Ruger P85

Hey yall. Just scored a decent deal on what appears to be a like new in box early production (one of the first 2,500 shipped in 1987) Ruger P85 for a whopping $250. Unfortunately, it probably won't arrive at my FFL until next week some time. I don't yet know if the handgun has undergone the factory recall for the decocker/firing pin modification, but its no big deal to me if I have to send it in. Alot of folks probably consider the Ruger P-series to be ugly hunk of junk, but I've shot enough of the series to the point I actually like them. I'll be sure to conduct a review and post pics of mine upon arrival.
Any Ruger P-series love out there?

God Bless
Old May 16, 2019, 03:41 PM   #2
tallball

I like my P-series pistols.

You got a great deal!
Old May 16, 2019, 05:38 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

NIB for $250? That's what beat up ones go for. Good find.
Old May 16, 2019, 05:57 PM   #4
JERRYS.

those Ruger "P series" guns were top notch in my view. I had a P90 DC and loved it.
Old May 16, 2019, 06:27 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I remember when the P85 first came out. I also remember when it was recalled for refitting with a new safety. Big, bulky, unattractive, it was reliable and accurate.

However, if you look at the design, Ruger's engineers improved it with subsequent designs with the final permutation being the polymer framed P95 version. Each had fewer parts and the remaining parts were multi-tasked.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:18 PM   #6
Chuck Norris

I love my P 90,shoots great never jams and make a great club if you run out of ammo.
Old May 17, 2019, 08:22 AM   #7
hdbiker

I got a P95 DC in a deal that I really diden't want. Was reliable, accurate as you'd expect but was big and clumsy and ugly in my opinion. hdbiker
Old May 17, 2019, 01:06 PM   #8
lee n. field

The 85 is, I know, one Ruger says "call for parts availability". Not yet on the "can't service anymore" list.

here's the recall information: https://ruger.com/P85Recall/index.html.

I wouldn't mind picking up another P-series gun.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 17, 2019, 03:30 PM   #9
Leaf

The P85 was indeed somewhat ugly and hunky although I rather like the looks of it in stainless (especially the slide) but I would NOT call it junk. Twenty-two rounder magazines were available for them too. Impressive for the day.
Old May 17, 2019, 06:17 PM   #10
MikeG

I've got a P89 and a P95. Both are great pistols since I believe ugly is as ugly does. An engraved work of art pistol with exotic wood grips and gold accents that fails is still ugly.
The Ruger P series pistols just work.
Old May 24, 2019, 03:09 PM   #11
Georgian

Pictures and shot groups

Well I finally got a day off work and picked up my new (to me) P85. So far, I am really pleased with this old wonder nine. It does have an early Ruger two-piece barrel, but that did not seem to affect accuracy.

I ran about 200 rounds of mixed ammo through it today, consisting of Wolf 115gr FMJ, Fiocchi 115 FMJ, IMI 115gr JHP, and some Hornady 135gr Critical Duty. I benched the handgun at 7 and 10 yards. Shooting in groups of 5, the pistol appears to be printing slightly right of my point of aim, but it pretty close to POA/POI overall for me. It seems the pistol likes Wolf and Fiocchi. While shooting groups, the first shot of each string was double action.

The five shot groups are as follows:

7 Yards
-Fiocchi 1 1/2''
-Wolf 1 3/4"
-IMI 2"
-Hornady 2'' and 2 1/4"

10 Yards
-Fiocchi 1 1/2"
-Wolf 2 1/2" (1 1/4" without flyer)
-IMI 2 1/2"
-Hornady 1 1/2"

As you will see in the pictures, the early slide release on this pistol is quite large, which caused me to inadvertently activate it several times while at the range, causing two to three failures to return to battery. As a result, I have ordered the updated shorter slide stop from Numrich. I also believe the magazine springs in the two magazines that came with the handgun need replacing, so new springs are on order.

God Bless
Old May 24, 2019, 03:11 PM   #12
Georgian

God Bless