The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2020, 05:36 PM   #1
Ernie Bishop

Filled my two doe antelope tags 6mm-284 XP!

It was a good, but busy day hunting on the last day of October. First off, I agreed to go out with one of our church members on a cow elk hunt, and he sealed the deal relatively early in the morning. After getting the cow taken care of and dropped off at the meat processor, we decided to head back to my house grab one of my XP-100’s and go antelope hunting, since we took care of the cow elk relatively quick. I didn’t have any expectations, that we would get done with the elk hunting that quick, as that Saturday was the last day of the antelope season. But hunting luck was with us, and we headed out, and I was able to fill both of my tags this afternoon, and even make it in before sunset.
Michael DeLoach of Nine Run Gun did this build: 6mm-284 XP-100, trued action, Dell trigger, 16” Proof Research carbon wrapped barrel, Holland’s 2-Port Radial Baffle brake (which I really like), McMillan center grip stock, Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 with Holland’s ART reticle. I used the 90 grain Nosler Accu-Bond which has a muzzle velocity of 2900 fps. The first antelope was right at the 200-yard mark, slightly quartering toward us went to her front shoulder and exited behind the back shoulder. She went about 30 to 40 yards did a little hop/kick thing that they do sometimes and then went down. The second one was at 315 yards, and she was completely broadside. Because of the wind I had to put four minutes of wind into it. I double shoulder shot her and she went down at the shot. Such a sweet shooter. I had not shot this XP-100, since I was with Aaron Alexander in Ketchikan, Alaska, and the zero was spot on when I confirmed it that early afternoon on paper.

Old November 12, 2020, 06:55 PM   #2
FITASC

Very nice! I had a friend who had a rifle in that cartridge that he used in Montana for P-dogs. They literally exploded upon impact.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 12, 2020, 08:25 PM   #3
mxsailor803

Awesome hunt. Love love love your XP! Doing the debate right now on building a custom one.
Old November 13, 2020, 12:32 AM   #4
Ernie Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxsailor803 View Post
Awesome hunt. Love love love your XP! Doing the debate right now on building a custom one.
Let me know if I can help in any way, if you go that route.
E
Old November 13, 2020, 12:58 AM   #5
Scorch

Awesome!
Old November 13, 2020, 05:09 AM   #6
Old Stony

I'm guessing either eastern Wyoming, or northern New Mexico, judging by the background in the pics. Am I anywhere close ?
Old November 13, 2020, 05:21 AM   #7
Ernie Bishop

NE Wyoming... I live in Gillette
Old November 13, 2020, 01:07 PM   #8
taylorce1

You specialty pistol guys always amaze me! Nice shooting, and nice speed goats. I never could warm up to the SP, I tired .204 Ruger, 7-08, and .280 GNR on a Encore frame, but eventually turned it into a dedicated .50 caliber ML. I have a buddy who used to live in NY where SP's were the only way to hunt if you didn't want to use a shotgun or ML back in the day.
Old November 17, 2020, 08:50 AM   #9
Henny_Lee

That's an amazing hunt