The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 8, 2020, 10:53 AM   #1
gaseousclay

Handgun light recommendations

I’m in need of a light for my S&W m&p 2.0 but i’m not too familiar with all the brands out there. Aside from Streamlight, are there any other reputable brands out there worth looking into? Or is Streamlight considered the best? Thx
Old October 8, 2020, 01:17 PM   #2
jmhyer

I caught a sale on a Crimson Trace (CMR-208, I think). I have been very happy with it so far. It replaced a Streamlight TLR-3, which I had for several years. While I was happy with the Streamlight, I found that the flaw was in its polymer construction. So, whatever you get, I would definitely recommend something with metal (e.g.- aluminum) housing.
Old October 8, 2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Sure-fire is the most tested and used light in the Mil/Govt sector. Also a lot more $ then Stream light.

I run a Sure-fire X300u on my M&P 2.0 compact and fullsized guns. Easy on/off if thats needed. Good switching system. Extremely bright.
Old October 8, 2020, 05:49 PM   #4
gaseousclay

Is Surefire worth the premium compared to an Olight?
Old October 8, 2020, 06:19 PM   #5
Sharkbite

I have no experience with the O light brand. I have read a cpl reviews that had them failing. If i am going to trust my life to a product, a cpl hundred bucks seems worth it.
Old October 10, 2020, 07:51 AM   #6
sevt_chevelle

Am running Streamlight TLR 1

Streamlight and Surefire are proven brands.

Olight IMO has a cool social media following, bought and paid for.
Old October 10, 2020, 08:49 PM   #7
shafter

I've put my Surefire 300X through thousands of rounds. Battery life is decent and it holds up just fine.
Old October 11, 2020, 06:38 PM   #8
BourbonCowboy

I've got an OLight PL-Mini 2 on both my HKs, and I even put one on my Taurus Judge (with a Laserlyte rail). The output is exceptional, as is the value. The magnetic USB charger is simply genius. I highly recommend them.

Old October 18, 2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Tom-R2

I've had excellent results from Streamlight, both for weapons lights/lasers and for flashlights.
Old October 18, 2020, 07:30 PM   #10
cslinger

Olight makes wonderful general purpose lights. I would not trust them for any kind of serious social purpose.

Surefire, Streamlight, ElZetta, Modlite, cloudlight are a few makers that make serious lights.

As an aside I also have a CMR-208 and it has been excellent and I have heard decent things about Inforce.

The TLR-7A is a very nicely packaged light with a good beam and a fair price.
Old October 18, 2020, 10:09 PM   #11
dyl

Surefire would be most expensive but used by military all the time. Streamlight is cheaper, used by law enforcement too (I'm sure they use surefire also). ElZetta, Modlite, cloudlight I've heard good things about but in comparison to those other two, they may be relatively new on the block or don't have as large a customer base.

Surefire has a reputation of good customer service, and their products seem to last so long that I've seen guys trying to sell their old halogen rifle lights after having them so long and wanting to move on. Some can be retrofitted to use LED bulbs.

I have a couple Streamlights and have used their customer service on a rifle light I buggered up.... disassembled and couldn't get a gasket back on. I contacted them on their online form, followed instructions online, sent it in to them, and they sent me a new one after a few weeks. All i really wanted was help getting this asymmetrical gasket in the right place.

I have a Streamlight TLR-1 HL, which would be a competitor to the Surefire X300U. I got a police trade in for around $65, a new one would be around $100 or so, but even at that price i think it's worth it.

Olight has a design that was "inspired" by the surefire and streamlight design. The PL-2 Valkyrie, or the BALDR (with green laser), side by side CR123A design. The problem with Olight's PL-2 Valkyrie is that yes, it puts out something like 1000 lumens but then ramps down the output within 3-5 minutes due to the heat. If you see yourself using momentary flashes, may not be a big deal but if you might need it on for longer, may want something more consistent. But then again, if you are going to use this defensively you may want something sturdier. The PL-Valkyrie's switch is digitally controlled, so it if you wanted a quick momentary flash, you can't really do that like a manual switch can. A really quick click of the button would turn the light on and leave it on. A longer press then release is it's momentary setting. I bought a couple for project guns, not serious use. Comparing the PL-2 Valkyrie to the TLR-1 HL, the aluminum in the Streamlight's body is thicker and has a thick gasket that is compressed at the battery cover rather than an O-ring to keep stuff out.

Olight makes a new version the PL Valkyrie, the Valkyrie Pro - which you can choose a lower output that probably doesn't need to ramp down BUT there is a built in rechargeable battery that can't be removed, can't be replaced. Probably lithium ion. So to me that means there is a finite lifespan on it. I know my computer / phone batteries start to diminish in capacity in 4-5 years but are usable longer. You probably won't be discharging a weapon light frequently, it would likely last longer than 5 years assuming no other mechanical problem.

I have a smaller Olight pistol light, the PL-2 mini, also for a fun project gun. It's bright, but rechargeable only battery means it's going to give up the ghost in time and it's not user replaceable.

The TLR-1 and Surefire X300u (I think they may be up to x400 now) designs are kind of older, the two side by side CR123a. It makes for a wide profile. If that doesn't bother you, the wide lens makes for a great beam. I think streamlight is up to the TLR-8 now which seems more trim.

If you're anticipating using it indoors mostly, some would say don't go too bright on the lumens. When you get to 1000 + lumens in a white painted hallway, there's a good bit of flash back. On the other hand, I've heard the argument that super bright will make an assailant flinch rather than just signal where you are.
Old October 19, 2020, 10:43 AM   #12
cslinger

Keep in mind that ALL super bright LED lights of a given size to output will ramp down whether they be Surefire or Chinese crap. It’s the nature of the beast. I have found that a light right around 600 lumens roughly the size of a Surefire 6P for comparison is about the size to output you can go with a fairly steady output without a ramp down.

As for brightness / splash, remember you don’t have to point the gun to identify and use the light. That splash is useful if you only have a weapon light to identify something as you don’t want to go around pointing guns at everything Willy nilly.

Also if your eyes are fully dark adapted / have been sleeping 120 lumens is pretty god aweful bright so again nature of the beast. Kinda like using CS/Pepper Spray. It’s not IF you will get a dose of it yourself it’s WHEN.

Again if you pressed me right this second and said I have to use my own money go buy a weapon light my choices in this order would be.

-Streamlight TLR7a for most uses. Great compact light. Easy battery changes.
-Streamlight TLR1HL for larger guns or if I want blazing output and throw.
-Surefire X300 for larger guns, blazing output, awesome throw and as durable as an anvil.
-Crimson Trace CMR-208 - if I had an odd rail like the HK45c. This is a great light with a great beam, easy battery replacement and priced right. It also happens to have a GREAT system for positioning the rail key. Better then Streamlight in my opinion.

I have lots of rounds through all of these without issue on handguns and rifles. Ok lots for me. They don’t come off when I shoot.

Last edited by cslinger; October 19, 2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old October 19, 2020, 11:01 AM   #13
cslinger

As for Olight I have several of their handhelds and they can all be wonky at times. As I said they are fantastic general use lights with a great range of brightness and great beams. I just, personally, would never trust them if my life was on the line. I also, personally, will not use rechargeable batteries for a serious light. They simply are not as reliable or able to sit long term as primary batteries.
Old November 7, 2020, 07:06 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

personally streamight. surefure if you can justify the cost are fantastic. I stay away from olight. they are great for EDC, but after a bad experience I don't trust them on a weapon or for defensive use.
Old November 23, 2020, 08:30 PM   #15
dakota.potts

I'm using a Streamlight TLR-7 on my Glock 19.

I could have gone with the TLR-1, but I have a Streamlight HL-X at the same power (1000 lumens) and it seemed like that would have been too much power for a handgun. Plus I have a mini compensator on my Glock so I picked the smaller light so it would get less gassing from the comp, and I didn't want to have to go through 2 CR123 batteries at a time.

Having gone outside with my handgun in the middle of the night to check on weird noises at the chicken coop, the TLR-7 works fine in the dead of night even outdoors to a surprising distance.
Old December 14, 2020, 06:40 PM   #16
JERRYS.

My Streamlight TLR1 H is on my Dept. issued Glock. Not only do I like it, it fits the plastic pre-molded holster they issue as well.
Old December 14, 2020, 06:44 PM   #17
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
personally streamight. surefure if you can justify the cost are fantastic. I stay away from olight. they are great for EDC, but after a bad experience I don't trust them on a weapon or for defensive use.
I just order an O-Light Odin mini based on a few video reviews I've seen from youtubers sootch00 and Defenders of Freedom. I hope I don't regret it.
Old December 14, 2020, 06:57 PM   #18
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
I just order an O-Light Odin mini based on a few video reviews I've seen from youtubers sootch00 and Defenders of Freedom. I hope I don't regret it.
sootch00 sold out, I dont trust his reviews anymore. They are paid olight advertisements. I don't know about defenders of freedom.

I had an odin. it went back. loose in the mount, did not charge in the stated time screws were soft and twisted off when mounting with 10inlb of torque. my scope mounts take 20.... there was no recommended torque in the manual. The included spare screws so I expect that it was a known issue. the spares broke too... Olight accepted the return as a defective product. EDC light, sure, weapon light, nope.

If you live to regret it it means you lived.... play with it, use it, make sure you would REALLY trust your life with it.

Let us know how it performs. I don't expect OLIGHT to have made significant design improvements since i bought my ODIN earlier this year, but I wont rule it out.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; December 14, 2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old December 14, 2020, 07:48 PM   #19
JERRYS.

will do. right now I have an Inforce on my rifle and a Streamlight on my pistol so there is no hurry for me to put it in service without testing on another AR15.
Old December 19, 2022, 10:07 AM   #20
enrikses

It's better to test more brands until you find the most suitable one. It's true Streamlight is considered one of the best. However, there are other good options too. For example, OLight PL-Mini 2 or Surefire. A piece of advice: don't choose to save money over quality. I use Surefire because it's a long-term choice. I randomly found some reviews about it while looking for amazon led light bulbs. Google probably understood I wanted handgun lights instead of house lights xd. Anyway, now I have them both, and I'm pleased about their quality.

Last edited by enrikses; December 20, 2022 at 04:37 AM.