The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2020, 02:33 AM   #76
jmstr

If you are interested in a FO front sight, or changing it- don't get a Beretta unless you get the Brigadier version with removable front sights.

The basic 92F and most variants have a front sight that is part of the slide- not dovetailed on or swagged on [think 1911 GI front sight].

The Taurus PT92 with uncle mikes grips that I felt actually felt better in my hands than the Beretta, due to my shortish fingers.

I have noticed two companies that will either custom modify the taurus front sight to install FO, or one that will dovetail the Taurus slide for a front sight, but won't do that to a Beretta 92f.

However, these are wide pistols.

My finger length makes me unhappy with the CZ family and all of their clones [Jericho, IMI, baby desert eagle, Witness, etc]. I simply cannot pull the trigger in decocked DA first shot mode with any sense of confidence and then transition to SA shooting without letting the pistol slip in my hand to realign.

That said, the CZ 75D decocker model is ok, as it decocks to the half cock notch, instead of all the way hammer down on slide, so the trigger doesn't have to pull from as far away to start the trigger pull.

I don't feel that way with the Taurus PT92 with Mikes grips, but with stock taurus wooden ones on I do feel that way.

The same problem for my use of CZ plagues my use of Beretta 92 family.

Sig P226/P228/P229 family feel better to me- with the E2 grip and the short reach trigger [not to be confused with the short reset trigger- which is a little bit of all right also].

The traditional Sig P220/226/228/229 with standard grips and standard length trigger has the same 'fit' issues for me.

You said 'big heavy' 9mm, and then aluminum framed ones were brought up [few steel frames in DA/SA pistols outside CZ and clones].

If you are interested more in the DA/SA than the frame material, you might consider a used Ruger P95. They were pretty reliable, but not as precise as any of the ones above. But, also much cheaper.

If you REALLY want heavy 9mm DA/SA pistol and are interested in history, look into a Walther P38. If it was made after 1961 as a P1, it has an aluminum frame. If it was made before about 1957, it probably had a steel frame. All WWII ones had steel frames.

I mention this as a joke. DA pull of about 14lbs if you are lucky, with SA pull of around 4-6lbs, and holds 8 +1. Yet, it is a heavy DA/SA handgun.

At one point I wasn't willing to go SA pistols- and stuck to striker or DA/SA, or revolvers.

However, I now appreciate a smooth SA pistol. In 9mm you can pick up a cool piece of 9mm history called a Star Model B [or Super B], but be sure it isn't 9mm Largo as they can't fire 9x19mm ammo. Very much like a 1911, but generally cheaper than a RIA 9mm 1911.

1911s are great, IMHO, and a RIA 9mm 1911 has the potential to be something you won't outshoot for a long time.

BUT, those are SA cocked/locked actions. If the hammer back makes you nervous, you could do the SFS ignition system. A weird piece of engineering that works well. Load the gun and hammer is back.

finger off trigger- you gently push hammer 'down' and it locks in the down position, with the safety lever popping up to 'lock' the hammer down.

When you swipe the safety off, a spring kicks the hammer back to the fully back ready to fire position, and a trigger pull is all it takes to shoot.

May make some more comfortable with SA handguns. The system is available for 1911s and for Browning Hi Powers.

The BHP was mentioned, as they are wonderful pieces of history and fire well.

However, they are now also a discontinued firearm. The trigger will never get as light/crisp/short of reset as is possible on a 1911, but they can be made to have nice triggers.

Yet, still as SA pistol.