The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2020, 08:18 PM   #51
Picher

About 15 yards in the hardwoods. I was just standing there in the hardwoods and a 100 lb doe came running by, about 10 yards away. I was kind-of surprised, but got a shot off with my .30-06 Rem 700 BDL, nailing it in the lungs as it went by.
Old August 25, 2020, 08:35 PM   #52
TX Nimrod

Several decades ago my hunting buddy and I were hunting blacktail deer on Kodiak Island, I had my .300 Savage Contender handgun. After still hunting all morning, we stopped for lunch under a spruce tree. My buddy asked why don’t I try calling in a buck? So I bleated a couple times on a rabbit call and we waited about ten minutes. Nothing came in, so we started eating. I was half way through a sandwich when a small forkhorn walked up on us from around the tree - about ten feet away when we saw him. At first he didn’t know what we were, but when I grabbed the Contender he started to walk off. The scope was full of nothing but hair, and I broke his neck at under ten yards. We couldn’t believe it happened!

.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old August 25, 2020, 09:35 PM   #53
jimbob86

[QUOTE]Does hitting one with my truck count? Lol ............
Under the updated rules, yes it does.
LMAO.[QUOTE]

If that's the case, 3 at 6 1/2 feet (distance from the grill to the steering wheel on my 96 F150) and one at about 12 inches - dumb doe rand into the quarter panel and drivers door and drivers side sliding door on a the family mini-van as I was cruising along at 65 ......
Old August 25, 2020, 11:33 PM   #54
Geezerbiker

I've never taken one at close range but I once took a nooby on his first hunt. He shot the deer at such close range, I think it had powder burns. He said it was about 25 feet but it could have been a little closer.

I told him the deer was depressed and suicidal and wanted to be shot...

Tony
Old August 26, 2020, 04:08 AM   #55
PocketCamera

*pats self on back, pushes out chest*

all of my shots have been 20 to 60 measured yards. regardless of bow or rifle.
Old August 26, 2020, 09:46 AM   #56
ghbucky

I'm passing this on as second hand story..

Buddy of mine bow hunts elk in CO. Several years ago he was calling in a bull that was closing on him, so he was getting ready for his shot. He heard something behind him and turned around to find another bull just a few feet away.

I gather both elk and hunter left in different directions
Old August 26, 2020, 01:33 PM   #57
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This is kind of a fun one...

I "grew up" hunting deer with smooth-bore 12ga shooting foster slugs. Maximum range in most cases is well under 100 yards.

I have killed many more deer at short bow range (under 10 yards) than I have over 30.

A couple that really stand out...

I was young, probably 17 or 18, sitting on a stump on some state land near my uncle's house. I had no sooner sat down than I heard the unmistakable sound of multiple deer bounding through the woods. I turned to look and here come two... well, fawns really... literally right at me.
I swung my gun toward them and one turned away, the other made two more bounds and when it landed the second time I pulled the trigger. I'm not really sure where it went immediately, but it ended up dead about 20 yards off to my right.
It was so close there was deer hair floating in the air around me. When I stood up, I didn't even have to take a step to reach the rustled up spot it had landed when I shot. I'm not sure how it didn't hit the end of the barrel.

Second,
Bow hunting the edge of a field, there was only one good place to put a blind in the area I wanted to cover and no trees large enough for a stand. The blind ended up at the *very* edge of the brush, tucked under a scrub apple tree. I was rather expecting the deer, which I had watched many times previous, to come across the field from the North (I was on the South edge) and perhaps mingle close enough for a shot.
For the first time in all the times I had hunted there, a small buck came from the West, right along the brush.... and I mean practically rubbing along it. I didn't even see or hear him until he was literally in front of me. Honest to God, my first thought was whether or not the arrow would clear the rest before it hit him. It couldn't have been 3 feet.

There are many more short range type stories, but those two were memorable.
Old August 26, 2020, 04:59 PM   #58
jimbob86

I've had two deer, years apart, sneak in behind me while i was standing behind the same tree, watching a hay field ..... heard a twig snap and turned my head to see a buck nosing along behind me ...... had to wait both times for the deer to go behind another tree to turn around and hammered them when their chest cleared the tree ..... range about 20 paces.
Old September 14, 2020, 05:12 PM   #59
Terrierman

About ten feet, early on opening morning. Nice one just walked by. Heard him long before shooting. Let him just get by and raised the rifle. Hit in the spine, had to do a coup de grace.
Old September 15, 2020, 12:53 PM   #60
reinert

Every time I see this post come up, I think about the deer I've killed through the years, close and far, but the one I think of most regarding the question here, is this one.

It happened over 15 years ago, and the deer I got that day was a very nice 4x4 mulie that I happened to walk up on, as I was wanting to glass an area from this little precipice I'd usually go to, to glass this certain area. I didn't even really sneak, nor tried to be particularly quiet as I came to the edge of the point to use my binos. As I reached my spot to glass, right below me, barely 10' away, bedded down, looking away from me, chewing its cud, was this nice mulie buck. I can still see his head bobbing a bit as he chewed contentedly. I had my 6mm Rem. that day, and it was slung over my shoulder when I chanced on the deer, so I slowly brought the rifle up to shoot, flicked off the safe, put the scope at the base of the skull (pretty much filled the scope view), and quickly squeezed off the shot. That deer didn't have a clue as to what happened, and was dead before his head hit the ground. Never moved from his bed. Maybe was the best/quickest kill I ever made on a critter. So, tagged and field dressed the buck, and went to town. The time of that hunt, from the time I left my vehicle was about 20 minutes, tops. I actually got to drive within less than 50 yds. from the kill site, besides.

I was working at our local meat plant that year skinning wild game for my friend who ran the place, and since it was a nice deer, I brought it in to show it off a bit. My boss buddy told me to leave it there, and he'd have it processed, so I did (I was skinning that night, so we'd visit on particulars about the deal). He also told me he wanted to send off the hide with some others he already had there to have tanned. It was a beautiful, nice big hide (with no holes...), and it came back really, really nice. Still have it, and used it a few weeks ago as part of our primitive camp at a rendezvous my wife went up to in MT.

As a close to the story here, my friend who owned the meat plant never charged me a dime to process that deer, and when the hide came back from the tanner, he gifted that to me, too. That deer season was a real treasured one for sure. And those who've seen the hide, remark as to what a nice one it is, and always look for a hole, which isn't there...so I tell them this story... Ha!
Old September 15, 2020, 01:15 PM   #61
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinert View Post
Every time I see this post come up, I think about the deer I've killed through the years, close and far, but the one I think of most regarding the question here, is this one.

It happened over 15 years ago, and the deer I got that day was a very nice 4x4 mulie that I happened to walk up on, as I was wanting to glass an area from this little precipice I'd usually go to, to glass this certain area. I didn't even really sneak, nor tried to be particularly quiet as I came to the edge of the point to use my binos. As I reached my spot to glass, right below me, barely 10' away, bedded down, looking away from me, chewing its cud, was this nice mulie buck. I can still see his head bobbing a bit as he chewed contentedly. I had my 6mm Rem. that day, and it was slung over my shoulder when I chanced on the deer, so I slowly brought the rifle up to shoot, flicked off the safe, put the scope at the base of the skull (pretty much filled the scope view), and quickly squeezed off the shot. That deer didn't have a clue as to what happened, and was dead before his head hit the ground. Never moved from his bed. Maybe was the best/quickest kill I ever made on a critter. So, tagged and field dressed the buck, and went to town. The time of that hunt, from the time I left my vehicle was about 20 minutes, tops. I actually got to drive within less than 50 yds. from the kill site, besides.

I was working at our local meat plant that year skinning wild game for my friend who ran the place, and since it was a nice deer, I brought it in to show it off a bit. My boss buddy told me to leave it there, and he'd have it processed, so I did (I was skinning that night, so we'd visit on particulars about the deal). He also told me he wanted to send off the hide with some others he already had there to have tanned. It was a beautiful, nice big hide (with no holes...), and it came back really, really nice. Still have it, and used it a few weeks ago as part of our primitive camp at a rendezvous my wife went up to in MT.

As a close to the story here, my friend who owned the meat plant never charged me a dime to process that deer, and when the hide came back from the tanner, he gifted that to me, too. That deer season was a real treasured one for sure. And those who've seen the hide, remark as to what a nice one it is, and always look for a hole, which isn't there...so I tell them this story... Ha!
Evidence that for the most part hunters are truly animal lovers at heart, were always thrilled when were able to take an animal quickly and cleanly without them even realizing there's anything amiss and make a perfect shot that results with a carcass that is just as perfect for the butcher to turn into delicious cuts of meat.
I've made a few of those shots myself, one that comes to mind was an antelope that was sleeping , shot him in the side of the head at about 75yds.
Congratulations on a great hunt Reinert, it's not always about the length or the difficulty.
Old October 10, 2020, 03:11 PM   #62
The Happy kaboomer

9 feet. I walked up to a big blown over oak tree and he was lying under it. The buckshot load AND THE WADDING penetrated his side(8 pt).
Old October 10, 2020, 04:10 PM   #63
hdbiker

I shot a county forest fork horn buck at 3 feet running right at me from the hip, standing on a stump. lol hdbiker