The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 25, 2011, 08:47 AM   #26
C Philip

I only detail strip if I'm buying used, especially military surplus, and know it needs a thorough cleaning. I also will detail strip if it gets unusually dirty from unusual circumstances. For example, I was carrying my Glock 29 OWB while hiking, got caught in a huge rainstorm, slipped in the mud several times, and by the time I got home the gun and holster were full of crud. I detail stripped and found the firing pin channel had mud in it, mud under the extractor, etc. I kinda wish I shot it just to see if it would have worked.
Old July 25, 2011, 11:36 AM   #27
TailGator

I field strip and clean after every range trip. I strip the slide to clean the firing channel once a year or so. I have never detail stripped the frame of any of my semis, because they haven't seem to need it as judged by function and the visible amount of dirt and debris. I haven't dunked them in any mud puddles, either, though.
Old July 25, 2011, 01:33 PM   #28
Jason_G

Quote:
Though, with the right tools and cleaning equipment I can get them pretty clean with a field strip.
Well, it depends. If you carry it, it's probably filthy on the inside. I just detailed my 1911 that I carry last night, and there was so much lint and dirt and dust and carbon on the sear and disconnector that I couldn't believe it. Funny thing is, I say the same thing every time I detail strip it, which is about once a year. Carry pistols are lint traps.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old July 27, 2011, 07:19 PM   #29
microman

I took one of my Hi Points totally down.

The experience was like field stripping a Ruger MK3
in the dark with one hand behind my back
Old July 29, 2011, 01:22 AM   #30
dmazur

I do an annual detail strip on 1911's, M1 Garand, Browning SA-22, Ruger No. 1's and bolt action rifles. These are the ones that get the most use.

While I have detail stripped my Super Blackhawk, I really didn't enjoy the process of reassembly and this now just gets flushed, blown out and lightly lubed.

I just haven't had the nerve to try detail stripping my Winchester 1895. I understand it is a real pain.
Old July 29, 2011, 01:34 AM   #31
WarlockFirearms

I usually just run a bore snake through them and wipe down the exterior surfaces with a light coat of oil to ward off rust. Maybe a little quick lube on moving parts for the autos. Of course, I clean guns for a living and it's not the sort of thing I usually want to spend all of my free time doing.

The guns do fine, I steer clear of corrosive ammo and my shooting is not done in a corrosive or dusty environment.

There are a couple of gems in the safe that I give a little more attention to, and my carry guns are kept pretty clean, but really, I only do more than a quick bore swab and surface oiling when I feel that a gun is just getting too gunky. And that's rare. Most guns can tolerate a surprising amount of gunk with no adverse effects.
Old July 29, 2011, 04:15 PM   #32
iamdb

Most semi auto's are pretty simple as far as detail stripping. I usually take my guns apart at least once if I buy them used. Always helps to have the right tools, and a pad of paper and pen to label similar parts so they don't get mixed up. I find revolvers a lot more challenging to take apart.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old July 29, 2011, 04:35 PM   #33
KevininPa

Uuhhh, sometimes too far.....

......fortunately I have a gunsmith who I have a good relationship with. He doesn't rock me to bad moneywise and only picks on me a little when I get carrried away .
Old August 3, 2011, 09:47 AM   #34
doc.loenstar

Last edited by doc.loenstar; August 3, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old August 3, 2011, 10:43 AM   #35
RsqVet

I detail strip every 10k or 3 to 5 years. See no reason to do sooner unless something is wrong.
Old August 4, 2011, 03:16 AM   #36
jborushko

i detail strip most of my hand guns every time. the 1911s ALWAYS get detail stripped, more becuase i can with little effort.

the only guns i dont detail strip ever time are the CZs (which i do every 500 or so), the revovlers (every 500 or so), the PF9 (evey few months or so (since i dont shoot it but carry it often using the belt clip). when i shoot 22s i usually shoot a big box of 500 so i detail strip them - ive found they get gunked up fast.

i definatly tear all my guns down further than my other gun friends when i clean them. but i like ALL my machinery completly clean when i put it away

biggest reason for ME to detail strip my weapons though is: i just plane enjoy it. been doing it that way for about 10 years and will keep doing it.

i love the smell of hoppies #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by microman
I took one of my Hi Points totally down....
fudge that! there is a reason i dont own hi points, and it stems from trying to get that trigger back in a customers gun... PITA!!
Old August 4, 2011, 12:52 PM   #37
Buzzcook

About once a year give or take.

Of course you have to be careful because loosing a screw in the shag carpeting signals the Apocalypse.
Old August 4, 2011, 04:39 PM   #38
Brian48

I just field strip mine for cleaning, but have detailed stripped in the past (especially when I have a lot of time and am bored).
Old August 4, 2011, 06:51 PM   #39
scollen

Buy this book then you can go ALL THE WAY:

http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Pist...2501849&sr=8-1

There are others in the series covering rifles, revolvers etc
Old August 5, 2011, 12:13 AM   #40
Single Six

In all my years of shooting, I have yet to encounter a genuine need to completely disassemble one of my guns. But if I did...well, some things are best left to professionals. For me, that includes going beyond the normal field stripping of any firearm.
Old August 5, 2011, 07:55 AM   #41
Skans

I used to fully disassemble every firearm I bought. In fact, that was half the fun of getting a new gun for me - to take it apart and see how it well or poorly it was really made. You can learn quite a bit about what went into making a gun from examining the small parts and seeing how they fit to the slide, frame, receiver (for rifles), etc.

Guns that stand out in my mind that impressed me with their quality were:
1. S&W 659
2. EAA Stock 10mm
3. Beretta Gold Pigeon 12 gauge
4. Steyr GB
6. COP 357
7. Belgian Hi-Power
8. Colt Series 80 Gold Cup

Guns that did not impress me:
1. SKS rifle
2. Post-64 Winchester 94
3. Megastar .45
4. H&R .32 Self Loader
5. STI 2011 Custom
6. Ruger Mark II

I know - it's a weird list, and my reasons are both objective and subjective - too many to expand upon. These days, I'm just too busy to take apart every gun that I buy.
Old August 5, 2011, 08:31 AM   #42
WVsig

The overwhelming majority of guns sold and used in this country are never going to see enough rounds to warrant a detail strip. IMHO. Field stripping is more than enough cleaning for most guns and most shooters. A gun does not have to be pristine in order for it to function.

I have guns which are shot more than others. If a gun is seeing 5,000+ rounds a year then detailed strip makes sense. I strip down my higher round count Sigs, BHPs and 1911s but guns that do not get shot often do not get this level of attention because IMHO they don't need it. As long as you are not shooting corrossive ammo the small amount of powder etc... is not going to harm the gun in anyway.

It is really not that hard if you are even moderately mechinically inclinded. As others have pointed out there are videos, instruction sheets etc... for just about every gun out there. I also agree with those who have mentioned CZ as a PITA to detail strip.

Last edited by WVsig; August 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old August 5, 2011, 08:46 AM   #43
blume357

If your friend can strip a gun down fully and put it back together so that it works then he or she is not mechanically challenged, in my opinion...

took the trigger group apart on my Sig pistol once... it took me over 8 hours to get it back together. I'm sure there are lots that are easier.... like a 10/22 and such but I usually leave trigger groups alone because of how complicated they are to put back right... the good news is as far as I know, you do it wrong and the gun just won't work.
Old August 5, 2011, 08:47 AM   #44
ZeSpectre

I detail strip every brand new firearm I bring home and go over everything "with a fine-tooth comb". This applies double to the detail and care I put into stripping down and inspecting any pre-owned firearms I come home with since the line between a fine firearm and a hand-grenade is sometimes a very narrow one.

Most of the firearms I've detail stripped have been fine, a few have been serious jaw-dropping experiences.

Beyond that I do a simple "field strip" after each range session and only do another detail strip if circumstances seem to warrant it (such as immersion in water or the gun starts acting up).

Most firearms are pretty simple to take down "to the screws" and, as has been pointed out, the instructions are easily found online for nearly everything. You do have to use a certain amount of care to not lose/damage bits (especially springs) and there are certain firearms that require a special tool or two to really do things right.

Tags
pistol , safety