The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: What to do?
Sell it to buy another gun. 51 38.64%
Keep it as a family heirloom/keepsake. 13 9.85%
Use it like any other gun. 58 43.94%
Destroy it. 10 7.58%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31, 2013, 05:03 PM   #1
hells.saints

Inherited a Suicide Gun

Its a Winchester Model 77. I have no idea what to do with it. Somehow, I don't think it will fit in alongside my 10/22s.
Old December 31, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2
southjk

Why is this model called a "suicide gun"?
Old December 31, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
hells.saints

A family member killed himself with it. Hence "suicide gun".
Old December 31, 2013, 05:47 PM   #4
southjk

Oh, sorry. For some reason my mind assumed it was a problem with the gun that was very dangerous. Yeah, I'd probably sell it.
Old December 31, 2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Gster

Interesting...do you wan't to talk about it?
Old December 31, 2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Slamfire

It is a gun. A mechanical device with no feelings or memory.

People are different. People are not rational creatures and if having or using the gun brings back sad, bad memories of the person who self murdered, then get rid of it.

This is sort of in the same category as getting parts off junked cars that obviously had fatal collisions. I have been in junk yards and seen the head impacts on the front windshield, the engine block pushing the steering wheel to the back of the seat, it is obvious that someone died in those wrecks. If I knew the people, it is likely I would have qualms about pulling parts off those vehicles. But since I did not, they did not haunt me.
Old December 31, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
buck460XVR

A family member? It would be gone before I got it home. Anyone else? I use it like any other gun.
Old December 31, 2013, 06:22 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

I wouldn't have any problem using it, but I could see how it might bother some people.

If the situation were such that keeping and using the gun might cause other family members distress, or if the gun wasn't one I wanted to have I would sell it. Otherwise, I'd keep it and use it.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:11 PM   #9
BumbleBug

Simple...go to a gun show & swap for something you want.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:15 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

A gun used in a suicide involving someone I didn't know, I'd have no problem keeping and using it.

A family member, yeah, I'd take it to a gun show and look to trade it off for something else.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:27 PM   #11

That wouldn't bother me in the least.

If I liked the gun, I would keep it and shoot it.

I have to say that I am not immune to thinking about the history behind guns; I once watched a movie where Nazis did what Nazis do and it occurred to me: I wonder if any of my Lugers were involved in anything like that ? What about my K98 Mauser ?
It bothered me for a few minutes but I soon got over it.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Pahoo

Tragic and too personal

I have no way of saying, at this time and hope I'm not faced with a decision like this. If I can't speak for myself, I'm hardly in a position to do so, for someone else. It's really just too personal. .....

I did experienced something like this a few years back. A working associate was selling his family farm and belongings. He had a ton of old stuff and I volunteered to help him, with his estate sale. I bought a bunch of his families guns that went back to the early 1900's. There were three old doubles, hammer and hammerless. While loading them up, he commented that his mother had committed suicide with one of them. Was not sure which one it was as he was only 5yrs. old when it happened but he did remember the shot and his father's look. Kind of shook me a bit but soon let it pass. ....

Pray for the soul and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 31, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 31, 2013, 07:43 PM   #13
bt380

Rather than keep it and be reminded of the suicide, if that is where your mind travels, I'd donate it in the person's name. The gun was bought, used and hopefully enjoyed. If your mind travels in the fond memories of the hunting, range use, etc, then keep it. If you are waffling, before I made the decision, I'd stick it in the garage an forget about it for awhile until the decision could be made. If it's always emotional or uncomfortable to be around, then you have your decision. Either way, don't let the person's life be defined by one single act of desperation.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:21 PM   #14
SHE3PDOG

I wouldn't be able to use it like any other gun, so I'd probably sell it or trade it. This would be one of the few exceptions to my not selling or trading anything rule.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old December 31, 2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Garycw

Sounds like bad mojo to me. I wouldn't want to be reminded of it either.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Microgunner

Destroy it. I wouldn't keep or trade any family member's suicide implement.
Old December 31, 2013, 09:23 PM   #17
AllenJ

I would sell/trade the rifle for something else. There are already going to be enough bad memories of the incident, no need to have a reminder sitting around.
Old December 31, 2013, 09:46 PM   #18
5whiskey

If you are asking then you are leaning towards selling it. I would, in a heartbeat. People hold onto things that are of value, be it monetary or personal when they are handed down. This is neither, get the funds and get what you want. This is not a sought after piece, it is a run of the mill hunting rifle with bad history attached.
Old December 31, 2013, 09:56 PM   #19
buster1210

Two things. If it is a gun you actually like and want to shoot keep it. Second don't look at it's past but look at it's future and time spent enjoying it.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:14 PM   #20
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Just me, I wouldn't want it if it were someone I cared about. My aunt shot herself, I had the chance to have her pistol, I declined. She was my favorite aunt and kind of helped me through a lot after my mom passed away. You do what you want, it is ultimately up to you.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 31, 2013, 11:18 PM   #21
Daggitt

Your post runs deep and asks probing questions. My first answer is do what feels right to you. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you. If you truly want my opinion here it is. Guns don't kill people , people do. Maybe the gun brought peace to this troubled one. I don't believe in karma or curses. If you like it keep it. If you don't then sell it or trade it. Why someone would suggest you destroy it is beyond my comprehension. I would hope we are all beyond blaming the gun for an act of a troubled person . It makes no more sense and perhaps less than blaming a crime on a firearm.
Old December 31, 2013, 11:37 PM   #22
8bit

This is a very personal situation/question and only you can decide what to do with it. There is no right or wrong answer as far as I'm concerned.

Strange to see this topic today because last week my favorite uncle who I was very close to shot and killed himself. He left all of his possessions to his only child. And I found myself wondering what I would do with the gun in that kind of situation.

Personally, I think I would sell it. Either that or it would be locked up in a safe never to see the light of day. One thing I know for sure, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the gun. My mind would automatically go to "what happened" each and every time I shot it.
Old December 31, 2013, 11:39 PM   #23
CWKahrFan

Every time I'd see it, my mind would have a few thoughts related to it.
Even if they're generally mild and benign thoughts... I'd sell it just to avoid the distraction of those thoughts through the years.
Old January 1, 2014, 03:33 AM   #24
armsmaster270

My dad committed suicide with his off duty Colt Detective Special He had terminal brain cancer and was told he had two months to live and even with morphine it would be hell. I miss my dad but understand why he did it. I don't have bad feelings about the gun, instead it reminds me of the good times we had together with him teaching me aimed fire and hipshooting. The hipshooting saved my life one night

My Dad Al E Nichols
https://sites.google.com/a/armsmaste...ad-ale.nichols
Old January 1, 2014, 03:56 AM   #25
JimmyR

First off, I am sorry for your loss.

Second, I think your decision to keep the weapon is a very personal decision, and it's hard to give suggestions without more input from you. In short, I think any suggestion I would make would hinge on 2 questions: a) Does being around this gun remind you of happy memories, sad memories, or none of the above?; and b) Is this a gun that you want/need/can put to good use?

My grandfather shot himself, and eventually died from the wounds. I inherited his shotgun and a couple of pistols from my father, and wouldn't be surprised if one of them were the gun he had killed himself with. I never met him, as this happened about 3-4 years before I was born. I keep his shotgun in the closet for home defense. For me, I have no memories associated with the shotgun, and it serves a purpose, so I keep it. If, however, you see that gun and are pained by memories of a lost loved one, then I would reccomend selling the gun. There is no obligation to keep such a weapon, and no need to punish yourself with those kinds of feelings. Only you can make that call, and know that if you want to offer more details, we would be happy to read and reflect. You can also feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting details like that on an open forum.

Tags
death , firearm , gun , model 77 , suicide