The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 13, 2013, 04:20 AM   #1
ChaseReynolds

Teflon Bullets

Today I bought some .40 S&W that I saw in stock at Cabela's. I saw so much that I grabbed all I could and then some, well when I got home and read the box, it said, aluminum case, Full Teflon Jacket.

I would like to know if anyone has shot this and what they think. I was just going to plink with it anyways.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Providing basic information, such as the manufacturer, would go a LONG way in helping us figure out what you have.

Pictures of the box and the rounds would also be helpful.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I saw so much that I grabbed all I could and then some,well when I got home and read the box, it said, aluminum case, Full Teflon Jacket.
And then folks wonder why the shortages and panic buying is still around.....

And not even taking the time to know what you bought?

Sorry, but I find this completely irresponsible from so many angles...

Rant over
Old May 13, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
sigcurious

From the description I suspect he bought Herter's TNJ. Although nylon =/= teflon so, I could be mistaken.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:26 AM   #5
BuckRub

Most anytime you buy aluminum or steel casings they are very low quality. Just basically for plinking but if you bought them for that I guess that's all you need. I don't buy aluminum or steel.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:42 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I remember the old KTW boolits of the '70s that were touted as "cop killer" and the big move to ban them.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Evil Nyclads!!

Anyway - the Aluminum rounds - like Herters or Blazers have been reported to run just fine in most guns. I've use 9mm, 40 and 45s in many matches without a hitch.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Herter's is making nylon jacketed stuff?
Old May 13, 2013, 02:10 PM   #9
Skans

I've got a couple of old boxes of 9mm Nyclads I purchased in 1984. I'm saving them until they are worth at least $100/round.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:18 PM   #10
steveno

the KTW bullets had a teflon coating to help protect the barrel from the very hard bullet core
Old May 13, 2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Gaerek

Quote:
the KTW bullets had a teflon coating to help protect the barrel from the very hard bullet core
No, no, no. The teflon made the boolit travel through armor easier...like eggs sliding off my pan.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:26 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The teflon made the boolit travel through armor easier...like eggs sliding off my pan.
The media claimed that quite a bit back in the day. The irony is that those bullets will expand more aggressively, making them less likely to penetrate body armor.
Old May 13, 2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Gaerek

Quote:
The media claimed that quite a bit back in the day. The irony is that those bullets will expand more aggressively, making them less likely to penetrate body armor.
I know.

I just wanted to point out the absolute absurdity of the matter...you know, like those evil cop killing Black Talons (that looks almost identical to the LE Ranger T's and self defense SXTs....).
Old May 13, 2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
that looks almost identical to the LE Ranger T's and self defense SXTs.
Yep, but it has a different name and comes in a different box. As such, the bullets are less likely to (I kid you not) explode in the body.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:43 PM   #15
ChaseReynolds

Sorry, I meant nylon jacket. Blazer ammo. Full nylon jacket. Irresponsible maybe, but I like to shoot a lot and I will grab as many as I can before someone else so I don't have to buy it at three times the price. I was at Cabela's with tons of people late Sunday afternoon. So there was no panic and I didn't encourage hoarding.
Old May 14, 2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Gaerek

Quote:
Yep, but it has a different name and comes in a different box. As such, the bullets are less likely to (I kid you not) explode in the body.
It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that...

Oh, and most importantly, the bullets aren't black. That's what makes them explode.
Old May 14, 2013, 04:59 PM   #17
RickB

Quote:
I like to shoot a lot and I will grab as many as I can before someone else so I don't have to buy it at three times the price. I was at Cabela's with tons of people late Sunday afternoon. So there was no panic and I didn't encourage hoarding
Buying ammo in a quantity proportional to how much shooting you do is certainly not hoarding. I know people who have shot a thousand or more rounds a week, for years. If they go to the store and buy 1000 rounds, they're not hoarding. Someone who hasn't fired a round in ten years, but has 50,000 rounds in the garage? At the end of the day (year), they have each consumed the same number of rounds.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:45 PM   #18
Ridge_Runner_5

They're cop killas, Riggs!
Old May 14, 2013, 08:47 PM   #19
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Herter's is making nylon jacketed stuff?
SOMEONE is, Herter's doesn't make anything - it is a marketing name only, like Charles Daly
Old May 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
SOMEONE is, Herter's doesn't make anything - it is a marketing name only, like Charles Daly
Right. My mistake. The current Herter's is just a name slapped on some imported swill.

There once was an actual George Herter, and he was quite the huckster. His company was responsible for some interesting wildcat loadings like .401 Herter, and some of their rifle loadings were remarkable.

It threw us all for a loop when we started seeing that steel-case stuff with the name and logo a few years back.
Old May 15, 2013, 01:03 PM   #21
saltydog452

Bad memory maybe?

The 158 JHP Federal Ctg Co labeled 'Nyclad' was intended for safer indoor shooting with a steel back stop behind the paper target.

The idea was to prevent lead 'dust' as the soft swaged boolit hit the deflective steel back stop. The nylon coating prevented splatter dust, supposedly.

The low recoil and muzzle flash was a big attraction to the Officers who had to qualify with 'belly guns' and maybe were recoil/noise sensitive.

The reduced velocity/recoil/noise, no 'lead dust, soft lead, rapid expansion caught the attention of administrators.

Then, there was this rapid acceptance of semi-auto sidearms and ammunition interest specifically created for M-10 .38s didn't go far.

I buy it when I can. Although it isn't likely to go through an automobile door panel or slanted windscreen, its current replacement is in my Bride's Cobra.

The small arm vest penetrator cop killer mentioned earlier had a hardemed steel 'ring' that cut a cookie cutter channel. I think it was marketed as 'BAT', aka 'ballistic action trauma.' It was soon removed from distribution.

For civilians, it looked lto me like it'd make for a fun way to make a small dowel.

salty

Last edited by saltydog452; May 15, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old May 16, 2013, 05:44 PM   #22
Skans

So, is it prohibited for an individual to make his own bullets that can defeat body armor? Or are manufactures just prohibited from making and distributing these cartridges to civilians?
Old May 16, 2013, 08:04 PM   #23
BuckRub

Silly question, what do you think?
Old May 17, 2013, 09:46 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The 158 JHP Federal Ctg Co labeled 'Nyclad' was intended for safer indoor shooting with a steel back stop behind the paper target."

Trivia for you.

Smith & Wesson was the original market developer of the NyClad cartridge. When they spun off their ammunition line in the 1970s or early 1980s, Federal bought this particular product.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 19, 2013, 02:13 PM   #25
royal barnes

My department issued the 125 grain Nyclad for use in off duty snubbies that were not rated for +p. I carried and qualified with them for several years in a Model 36 and an early Model 60. They are still available from LEO distributors in 50 round white boxes. I bought some last month for $21.99 per box. It's a good round for up close and personal. Old school but still effective.