The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2012, 03:37 AM   #1
A pause for the COZ

How many ways to lube some lead.

Whew, there sure are a lot of ways to lube up some projectiles.

1st way I leaned was tumble lubing with Alox and shooting as cast.
I still do this a little for a few calibers I dont have sizing dies for.

The next way I learned was pan lubing. I still do this quite a bit for rifle calibers. Esp ones I do not have a good top punch for.

My favorite way is to melt some NRA formula around some bullets in a small pan. I use my $1.50 Goodwill toaster oven for this.

I cut them out with a Lyman Kake cutter. I nab these when ever avalible on Ebay.

Gas check them and run them through a LEE push through sizer.

Continued.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:48 AM   #2
A pause for the COZ

Continued:

After a while I got curious about a Lube-A-Sizer. Lyman and RCBS makes them. These use a sizing die with holes that allow lube to fill the lube grooves while sizing. These push in base 1st using a top punch that is shaped for the particular bullets nose you are sizing. You end up collecting quite a few top punches and sizing dies.
These work by pushing the bullet into the die and pulling it back out. While pressure pushes lube into the lube grooves.
I have a RCBS LAM and a Ideal#1

After a while, Esp if you buy a 45acp carbine. You will find your self unable to keep up with the demand for projectiles.
After purchasing a 1000 copper plated bullets. You decide a increase in production is in order.
Time to pony up for the STAR Lube sizer. You can knock out a 1000 bullets in the time it takes for your wife to figure out you have sneaked off to the loading room.

Old January 1, 2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Axelwik

With soft lubes I simply push some into the grooves with my fingers and run them through the Lee sizing die.

No need for anything else, even with the rifles that I cast for (45-70 and 7.62x54r). No leading at all... I use 50/50 beeswax.

For the high volume/low velocity/practice stuff I use Alox tumble lube because it's faster.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:28 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

For 5 calibers that I cast for I tumble lube with liquid allox, and shoot then as cast.

What can I say. They work, they work well. In addition I am cheap, and lazy.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:18 PM   #5
A pause for the COZ

I think tumble lubing is just fine. Especially if you shoot as cast.

It kind of lost favor with me for two reasons.

1st: Usually I figure out I need to lube some bullets when I run out and need some more right now. Waiting over night was a D'oh!!!

Then when I started sizing you have to relube them again after sizing.
Another day of waiting.

I suppose there is a work around for the wait. Maybe my toaster oven??
But I had moved on so never tried it.

Great way to lube when you have a lot to do with out sizing.
I still have a whole bunch of 115 gr swc for my 32 mag. I may not ever run out.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:37 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I try to keep a ready supply of bullets cast. Though I admit at times it can be a loosing battle. I let the lube dry for at least 3 days before I load them. I pile them on paper plates. Every day I toss them like a salad. No sticky bullets to deal with. I have 300 .45-70 bullets drying, as well as 500 or so .357's. I was down to less than 50 of each left. Next is .41 Mag, and .45 Auto. Though I still have a good sized stash of each of those ready to go.

Some day in the future when finances, and my wife allow I will pick up a lubrisizer. Though a Lee Classic Turret is in line ahead of that.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:15 PM   #7
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
Though a Lee Classic Turret is in line ahead of that.
That should pump your volume up a bit. I thought I had it well in hand. Then the carbine showed up.
Son and his buddy that I take shooting. Figured out how to empty a full coffee can of 45's lickity split. one emptying the carbine while the other working the 1911. Cant imagine trying to feed one of those with factory ammo at 15 to 20 bucks a 50 count.

I think eventually I will migrate all my sizing/lubing to the star. That thing is as sweet as it gets. Knowing what I know now I dont think a LAM is much of a move up from pan lubing. I can pan lube and size w/ LEE sizer a bunch just as fast as a LAM. Faster with gas checks.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8
chris in va

Here's my procedure.

Cast, water drop.
Lee push through size (except my as-dropped 45's).
Tumble lube with Johnson's Paste Wax.
Spread out on wax paper, turn on box fan.
3-4 hours later, bullets are dry and ready.