The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 5, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

A Gun Fair

I went to the Gun Fair held at Raahauge's in Norco, Californnia. I would recommend going to something similar for a newby like myself to see and shoot a variety of guns. (Although I didn't have time to shoot.)

There was a display of WW2 automatic weapons that you could fire for a fee, which included some water cooled browning 30's a twin air cooled 30, and what looked like a 50 caliber anti tank gun but my son thought was a sniper rifle. There was alos a gattling you could shoot for about $25.

They also had a good display of Western shooters. The only gun there I really wanted to try was the Sharps.

As we got there on the tail end of the last day, a Sunday, the Remington booth was vacant and apparently Browning did not participate.

Bennelli and Berretta were well represented. but the Berretta guy confided that they weren't showing their better guns there. Still, I liked what I saw. I hefted a couple of Bennelli O/U's and they were nice.

Caesar Guerini was exhibting for or six beautiful o/u's, but I passed the booth as I don't like to tantalize myself with what I can't have. Actually, the one guy manning the CG table wasn't all that busy and that indicated that Bennelli knew what they were doing when not showing there more expensive goodies. (The one gun of theirs that I wanted to try, the Super Sport, they didn't bring.)

They also had a set up wher you could shoot 20 wobble traps for $25 with an o/u I didn't even have time to drool over. I was tempted but didn't want to shoot until I had worked on what I hopefully picked up in Thursday's shooting lesson.

Of course, there was great representation from rifle and pistol manufacturers, including Colt and S&W.

What was weird was the one gun that seemed to fit me. A $200 Chinese made clone of an Ithaca; the Stevens 350. I say it fit because when mounted I was looking straight down the ghost ring site at the front site. I think it may have had to due with the fact that its stock has a lot of drop at the heel. That and I beleive my problem with the 870 is my eye is above the rib, whereas with a GRS you want a high eye (I think).

The one thing I didn't like was the mix of too many people around too many guns. There was a young boy there with his father and the boy was trying to load a spend casing into pistol but it didn't fit. I wasn't paying particular attention to anyone else, but as far as I know I was the only one clearing the guns before handling them. I guess I am just a big sissy.

All in all I enjoyed it but if I have a chance to do it again I would go early when it is less crowded and I have the time to shoot some guns. It m akes me wonder what a similar fair might be like if it was held at the site of a major shoot (which is something else I have never seen.)
Old June 5, 2011, 11:00 PM   #2
monstercat

gun fair?
Old June 5, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

OK. They didn't call it a "Gun Fair" but a "SHOOTING SPORTS FAIR". http://www.raahauges.com/shotgun-range.php
Old June 6, 2011, 04:13 PM   #4
BigJimP

Beretta owns Benelli ( and Franchi, and Stoeger, etc ....) and they don't make any O/U's under the Benelli name ...so you probably saw some Beretta O/U's ...

but it is too bad that Benelli didn't have a SuperSport for you there...

Those places are scary....especially if people don't keep track of their kids ../but some of the adults are probably worse.../ but yes, going real early, is always the best plan ! Browning / Winchester didn't come at all ...that's too bad ...
Old June 6, 2011, 09:46 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

duplicate

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 6, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old June 6, 2011, 11:34 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

I don't know that Browning wasn' there at any time, but I looked for it and the one CG there, which had a pretty big display told me that Browning didn't come when I asked about Citoris. I may have gotten the B's confused, but the one exhibitor that was not showing O/U's was Bennelli, I believe. The guy was trying to interest me in an Urbano (at least that is what I thought it was called. It was modular and looking at the web site it looks lilke the Super Vinci) and could only show me the SuperSport in a book. The O/U's I saw I am pretty certian were in the Beretta booth. They were only showing 28" barrels and I believe they had a red and blue dot by the action release lever. The people in the booths were polite and knowledgable. What I did notice was that nothing fit that much better than my cheapo 870 (but I of course didn't monkey around with the one model's adjustable stock).

I do know I am going to keep my eyes open for something like it in the area and get there early.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 6, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old June 6, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

That stupid fair has cost me so much darn $$$...