The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1
TXGunNut

Lyman 457122

Have the Midway site up ordering some Lee ball moulds and strayed over to the rifle boolit moulds. Haven't had great results with Lyman's 457193 405gr mould in my Guide Gun and now I'm wondering about the 457122 330gr HP mould. First reviewer said it was known as the Gould 45-300 Express bullet and now I think I need to give it a try. Anyone have one of these? Like? Dislike?
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Rusty W

I have one. I haven't got a chance to do a lot of testing with it but so far I like it. It was a big learning curve for me because it was the 1st HP mold for me. 1st thing I learned real quick was NOT to touch the pin. It gets very hot. I've read a lot of good reviews about the bullet. Some people even use it in a .45 colt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mold 068.jpg (104.7 KB, 26 views)
Old November 10, 2010, 08:44 PM   #3
crowbeaner

I have one and can give you some insight on it; it is a PITA to cast with until it gets broken in. Temp has to be hotter than usual to get complete fillout. Stir the melt with the ladle and draw the ladle full from the middle of the pot.
Preheat the pin tip in the melt while warming up the bottom of the mould by sitting barely on top of the lead before starting.
Make sure there is no dross or inclusion in the ladle.
Pour the bullet with one smooth motion and hold the ladle to the sprue plate for a second to insure complete fillout of the base.
Develop a rythm and don't try to hurry. The mould will tell you how fast it will cast by trial and error.
Trace the vent lines with a sharp sewing needle to make sure air vents out of all bands.
Be patient. Newer Lyman moulds require more break in than older ones.
You can use this bullet in 45 rifles, sized down to .452 for BP sabots and 45,454, and 460 caliber handcannons.
Old November 13, 2010, 02:59 PM   #4
TXGunNut

Sounds like my other Lyman moulds, shouldn't be a problem.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:02 PM   #5
salvadore

Tex, that Handloader I noted last time also has an article "Cast Bullet Expansion", featuring the 45/70 cast. In his wax medium the gould bullet retained 54% of its weight and expanded to .622. The alloy had a BHN of 12 and was traveling at 1300fps at time of impact. It also mentioned the the Gould design has been around since the 1880s.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:13 PM   #6
salvadore

From the Ideal Handbook #15

456122. this is the famous 45-330Gould express bullet, designed by our Mr. Barlow, and was originally made for Mr. Gould, Editor of 'Shooting and Fishing'.
It has a great reputation as a killer of large game. The shape is correct for any of the regular reloading tools for .45 Winchester calibres. It is also used in the 45-70 Government shells.Requires chamber same size as Winchester bullets.

Price of mould.................................................................Special list, $2.00