The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 2, 2009, 03:30 PM   #1
SingleShotGuy

Hauck Rifles - Single Shot Custom Rifles

I am looking for any information on the custom single shot rifles built by Wilbur J Hauck of Arlington, Vermont, in the 1950s/1960s. I actually owned one (caliber .250 Hauck Magnum - a Ackley-type .25-06, serial number 38) back about 30 years ago, but stupidly let it slip through my fingers. I have heard that the actions were actually made in Germany to his specs and he then built the rifle around it but this is only hearsay. I have also heard a reference to someone named Matteson who shared ???? the patent on this action. All of the info is vague and I would like to add some accurate documentation on Hauck to my library.

BTW, if anyone wants to part with a Hauck single, I am a willing buyer!
Old October 5, 2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Neruda

Hauck filed for a US patent for a Falling block single shot breech action in 1951 which was duely granted in 1956. The patent with detailed drawings is here: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2749641.pdf Matteson Fire Arms appear to have produced a gun using Hauck's patent, see this earlier thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=185901

Last edited by Neruda; October 8, 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: corrected link & spelling
Old October 6, 2009, 12:50 AM   #3
HiBC

I believe the Hauck is written up in Frank DeHaas book,Single Shot Rifles
Old October 8, 2009, 02:16 PM   #4
SingleShotGuy

Hauck Single Shot Rifles

Neruda and HIBC - Thanks guys for the leads on Wilbur Hauck. The second thread by Neruda didn't contain any references to Hauck that I could find, but the patent reference was excellent and I thank you for it. I will check DeHaas' book as well. Do either of you know if he actually made the actions or did he have them made for him elsewhere?
Old October 8, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Neruda

I've corrected the link to the earlier thread, for some reason my computer (not me honest) was having a bad day. According to Jim Watson's sources, Hauck did make actions. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=185901
Old February 2, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Joan Martha Hauck

Wilbur Joseph Hauck Custom Gunsmith West Arlington Vermont.

To everyone please be advised that my Dad, made his rifles from a block of wood and a piece of steel. His actions were patented and made, blued and finished in his gunshop in West Arlington Vermont. He made 86 rifles all with his special logo on the action. There is a person who collects and sells my Fathers guns. If any of you have any interest in buying one or any information contact me at [email] [email protected]. I have the original article written in Guns and Amo.

At one point I had the #1 gun but sold it as no son to leave it to.

Joan Martha Hauck
Old July 16, 2014, 04:18 PM   #7
cmeeks

Hauck

My father had two in the 1970s- early 80s. Nice rifles one was sold to a group that had wanted to reproduce them I beleive this never came to be. They were nice quality rifles. Internal Hammer falling block with a fast locktime.