The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 11, 1999, 04:56 PM   #1
Young Bulldog

How? Where? Why? Where would someone carry a pistol for a practical draw in the mountains. I ride horses in the mountains and carry a SIG p-226 semi-auto. I feel comfortable in most drawing positions is it better for ease of drawing to carry it in a certain way?
Old February 11, 1999, 05:01 PM   #2
Douglas in CT

You might want to take a look a "tactical" nylon gear designed to hang off the belt and strap around the thigh.
Although now that I think about it, there might be too much "wear" on you thigh/ maybe not. Worth looking at anyway since it positions the gun nicely on your thigh for easy reach.

Just some random thoughts.

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT

Old February 11, 1999, 05:11 PM   #3
Young Bulldog

Douglas in CT
The above mentioned problem is one of my main problems. The moving on the horse and getting on and off all the time can realy wear bad. Oh! I just remembered . What about magazines. i would like to carry at least two if not three extra. This is a problem especialy since most of the time i am riding in cougar and bear country.

Thanks.

------------------
JJmerritt

Old February 11, 1999, 05:36 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

Shoulder holster would be my first choice. There are a ton of rigs with mag pouches held under the strong arm.

Or, perhaps one of the Chest/crossdraw hoslters that are popular with pilots.

Galco used to make a "driving" holster that might be comfortable, but I don't know how scure it is for mounting/dismounting your steed.

Of course, you could contact Scott Evans and have him make you a custom horse rig.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 02-11-99).]
Old February 11, 1999, 05:46 PM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Hiking or long periods on a motorcycle are two of the few times that I employ a crossdraw holster. Shoulder rigs are just a modification of the crossdraw system...if you're comfortable with 'em, I say "go to it".
Rich
Old February 11, 1999, 06:33 PM   #6
Mark THG

Another option would be a variation on the western rig. I know of at least one person who could make something like that up, with a mag pouch and belt it would ride fairly low but not like a tactical.

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
[email protected]

Old February 11, 1999, 10:38 PM   #7
Jim V

El Paso Saddlery has a nice River Belt/Tom Threepersons rig that would work well for your needs. Threepersons was an old time lawman from the horseback era. The belt is heavy enough that it would not fold up under use and light enough that it will be comfortable to wear. The holster would set fairly high and could be slid around on the belt to the place where you were comfortable while on horse back. Look at some photos of the rigs of around the late 1800's and copy them for your pistol.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Old February 11, 1999, 11:05 PM   #8
Grayfox

For hiking and general woods bumming, I use the basic high ride belt hoster worn just behind the strong side hip. With a good sturdy belt it will stay put without getting in the way, while giving easy acess if needed. For hunting or simply when carrying any gun with a 6" barrel or longer I prefer a crossdraw rig worn in front of off side the hip.
Old March 22, 1999, 04:27 PM   #9
edfrompa

HI, I am a new kid on the block. I own a 40USP. what kind of holster would you recommend while hiking and driving long trips.