The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 25, 2014, 10:51 PM   #1
medic jim

Help on identifying Mauser

Hello, all. I have recently purchased a Mauser converted to 6mm Rem. Im guessing it would have been a 7x57 due to the conversion. The only markings visible on the gun are "A266" on the left side of the receiver. I'd like to know what make and possible years it is for any future repairs, alterations, etc. in the future. Help please.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Jim Watson

A266 is not helpful.

Close clear pictures are your best bet for getting information.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:39 PM   #3
medic jim

Thank you, Jim. Ill post what little i have for now.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:37 AM   #4
medic jim

Mauser picture

These are best I can get for now and fit the size requirement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140225_161804-1-1.jpg (44.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140225_161804-1.jpg (123.3 KB, 106 views)
Old February 26, 2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Corrections Cop

If you take the stock off their should be markings on the barrel or the receiver. This is what I did when I got a couple mausers from my grandpa, I found out that they were FN based, from the markings I found after removing the stock.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:16 PM   #6
medic jim

Thank you so much Cop. Hopefully there are markings on the receiver, as it has been modernized into 6mm Remington. I will look there soon as its out of layaway. Being poor sucks, lol
Old February 27, 2014, 06:35 AM   #7
PetahW

The pics are NG for a positive ID, but suggest you have a sporterized military Mauser receiver, that's had all it's markings scrubbed except for the SN, the bolt handle altered lower to clear a scope, a low-scope safety installed - then rebarreled, polished, reblued, restocked & scoped.

The best ID would be to see if the headspace is OK & if it shoots good.

You don't really need to know the maker & the DOM to effect any future repairs or alterations, since a 98 Mauser is a 98 Mauser is a 98 Mauser.

AFAIK, The only item that differs between different M98 Mausers (unless the barrel's to be replaced) are the FP's.

If you ever break a firing pin, just measure the length before ordering, since various length actions require different length FP's.

Old February 27, 2014, 07:07 AM   #8
medic jim

great!!

Awesome info! Pretty well takes the worry out of it for me. Thanks all.
Old February 27, 2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Corrections Cop

Quote:
Thank you so much Cop.

No problem, I hope it helps.
Old February 27, 2014, 01:54 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hard to be sure, but based on the serial number I think you have a sporterized Spanish Model 1893 or 1916. If it is cock on closing and the bolt does not have a safety lug at the back, that would be confirmed.

There is probably more info on the receiver ring if you choose to remove the front scope mount to look.

Jim
Old February 27, 2014, 02:26 PM   #11
medic jim

great info

Thank you James. Amazing info.
Old February 28, 2014, 03:23 PM   #12
PetahW

Jim - Now that you mentioned it, the OP's black/synthetic sporter looks a lot like the M93/96 milsurps sporter conversions, that Kimber of Oregon was doing in the 1980's, although those were usually so stamped, AFAIK.

Better pics would help.

Old February 28, 2014, 03:57 PM   #13
medic jim

pics soon

Gun is still in layaway, I'm going by the shop Tuesday, so I'll get better receiver pics then. Thank you.
Old March 1, 2014, 08:25 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Prefix letters were not exclusive to Spanish Mausers, but they were the most common rifles to use them. (German military Mausers used a suffix letter, usually under the numbers, but not prefix letters.)

Jim
Old March 1, 2014, 08:49 PM   #15
medic jim

Good additional info James, at least ill be able to narrow down the possibilities with all the replies people have been kind enough to post
Old March 1, 2014, 10:29 PM   #16
Jimro

I would like to see whether or not there is a thumb cut on the left side of the receiver. I just can't tell from the pictures provided, but it looks like an M98 based action from the bolt shroud.

The stock looks like a Ram-Line synthetic, http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/585...ynthetic-black or for small ring http://www.midwayusa.com/product/168...ynthetic-black

The low swing safety appears to be a Timney-Beuhler style: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/473...mauser-98-blue

If the receiver serial number looks to be Spanish, and there is no thumb cut on the left side of the receiver, then my best guess would be a Santa Barbara commercial M98 action imported to the US. Many Belgian FN and Zastava (Yugoslavian/Serbia) commercial M98 actions were imported the same way.

But can't tell one way or the other without seeing whether or not there is a thumb cut on the left side of the receiver.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Jimro
Old March 2, 2014, 08:10 PM   #17
medic jim

Hey, dont be sorry. Lots of info there. Ill get a pic asap of the left side. Thanks again
Old March 6, 2014, 11:12 PM   #18
medic jim

tomorrow

Hopefully getting gun out tomorrow. Taking it to range after headspace check. My range is more than likely partially flooded, so distance will be limited, but should still give me a good idea if its worth a crap or not. Ill let yall know and post more pics for I.D.
Old March 8, 2014, 12:04 AM   #19
medic jim

identification complete!!!

Upon getting the rifle out of layaway and checking headspace, I then went to my very muddy range. My friend happened to see the markings in the better outdoor light. Its a Styer model 1912! And wow is it accurate!!!. Due to mud, we were limited to about 50 yards. On a 2" target (of a certain purple dinosaur , i sighted in on an undisclosed portion of the anatomy, dead center hit, perfect elevation. Everyone laughed as I had called the shot. They were also in awe at its perfection! (As was I) . Whoever built it n its transformation to 6mm Remington did it right. The target area I was aiming at was 1/8" at best. If i didnt think I'd get in trouble on here, I'd post the pic. But, oh well. Thanks to all for the input on the rifle. I know the sporterizing of it hurts value overall, but still historical in my book. And with having a $200 scope, timney trigger, swivel bipod, and Ram-line stock, i couldnt ask for a better shooter for 2x the $425 i paid for it! Very happy.
Old March 9, 2014, 10:39 PM   #20
Jimro

Steyr 1912s were good actions to build on. I think you did all right.

Jimro
Old March 10, 2014, 12:54 AM   #21
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Steyr Model 1912 is a copy of the 98 Mauser. It was used by Chile, Colombia and Mexico and all had letter prefix serial numbers.

Jim
Old March 10, 2014, 04:14 PM   #22
medic jim

definitely

Definitely did good. Far surpassed my expectations . By far my most accurate arm. I felt like Babe Ruth calling that shot. Whoever did the conversion and mods did it right! Very happy.. Nobody who was there could believe the precision of the shot. I couldn't have drawn a hole any better! Lol. And we dont have to worry about the dinosaur reproducing anymore either!

Tags
6mm remington , mauser