The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 25, 2016, 02:02 PM   #1
jackstrawIII

My Next Rifle Purchase

Looking for some input on my next rifle purchase.

The Need:
- Lightweight rifle for deer hunting on my property. It's a wooded area with a few fields, but all shots would be significantly less than 100 yards.

Should I Buy:
- A lever action 30-30? It's a classic.
- A lever action 44 mag might work nicely. I could get a 44 mag pistol down the road and have some flexibility with the round.
- A used Savage 99 in 308? I have a really nice Savage Model 10 in 308 already that I use for long range shooting, but looking for something lighter and nimbler. 308 is probably overkill for short range, but it would work.
- Something else I haven't thought of?

I really like the idea of a lever action for quick handling and follow up shots (if necessary). I live in NY, so no ARs for me, unfortunately.
Old July 25, 2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Old Bill Dibble

If all your shots will be under 100 yards on open fields a rifle may not be the best choice. A 20 gauge slug gun will help ensure that any missed rounds impact on your property instead of a neighbors.

If a shotgun is not an option than either the .44 magnum or the .30-30 would likely work equally well. The .44 won't travel as far and drop faster so I would favor that one. I would not bother with a scope either. At that range the scope will just slow you down over iron sights.
Old July 25, 2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Erno86

I just received my lightweight CZ527 "M" Carbine in 7.62x39 last Saturday, and I had a chance to shoot a steel plate with it at 100 yards on Sunday. Tell you the truth...it is a handy little rifle, with mild recoil and a real fine trigger pull too boot. I love the little Mauser bolt, but I felt no need for them to put on a hair set trigger; though they said I could dismantle the set trigger. The iron sights were pretty much right on {comes with a three shot 50m target paper copy from the same rifle}, and the 16mm 1" Leupold scope rings {no need for polishing the rings} is going to fit my Vortex 2-8x that I just ordered.

Got it from Impact Guns for $600 + shipping.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; July 25, 2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old July 25, 2016, 02:29 PM   #4
Blindstitch

A 30-30 is a good option for the under 100 yard range. Ammo is cheaper and you can mount a scope on most of the new ones without a problem. That's if you want a scope.

My first deer rifle was a 1970's Winchester 30-30 and yes it has a scope on it. It did a great job for deer the first 5 years I hunted but now it's my back up rifle.

I have no problem using this rifle in hardwoods or thick brush but now half of my hunting is wooded areas along fields that you can see 300 yards.

I took my winchester out this past year for deer season sight in and my go to rifle was a click or two off but the 30-30 shot a dime size pattern with the first 3 shots at 50 yards.
Old July 25, 2016, 04:55 PM   #5
SRH78

Honestly, for under 100 yards on deer, just buy whichever one you like best. They will all work great.
Old July 25, 2016, 05:00 PM   #6
40CalGuy

i'd consider a firearm in a caliber common to another weapon that you may already have.

if you go with a centerfire bolt gun in a rifle caliber, my vote is a Tikka T3 Lite in whatever caliber is your preference.
Old July 25, 2016, 07:40 PM   #7
cw308

Can't go wrong with a 30/30 in you area. When I was a kid in NYC my father would go hunting upstate. That Winchester mod.94 30/30 was a beautiful rifle. He never shot a deer, we use to go to a field in NJ set up some targets at about 75 yards. The rifle shot good, I was 12, the rifle at that age had a kick, even though just loved shooting it. Great rifle. His friend had a Marlin lever action 35 cal. Looks like time hasn't changed things when hunting Up State. Nice Place to Live. Be Safe.
Old July 25, 2016, 07:55 PM   #8
RC20

Savage 243, BTH has a 22 inch barrel

will reach out easily to 200 yds just in case
Old July 25, 2016, 08:04 PM   #9
ms6852

In a wooded area my choice for deer has always being a lever action, either caliber you mentioned will get the job done, but I prefer 30/30 simply because ammo is cheaper than 44 magnum but if it is flexibility you seek go 44 mag, you could hunt effectively with the pistol too, depending on length of barrel.
Old July 29, 2016, 10:32 AM   #10
jackstrawIII

Erno86, I wasn't really considering a bolt gun, but that CZ 527 looks AWESOME. It's on the top of my list right now. I think I've narrowed this down to the 527 or some sort of 44/357 mag levergun.
Old July 29, 2016, 10:52 AM   #11
JWT

A bit pricey, but the Winchester Model 73 in 38/357 is a very, very nice gun.
Old July 29, 2016, 04:42 PM   #12
std7mag

I've been saving up for a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt...

Would do just what your asking for.
Old July 29, 2016, 06:12 PM   #13
Sgt Pepper

Winchester 94 30/30 or Savage 99 in 300 Savage would be my vote. Lever action rules the day in compact size, slimness, handiness, lethality, and Americana goodness inside of 100 yards.
Old July 29, 2016, 06:56 PM   #14
jmr40

None of those would be my top pick for pure performance.

All of those would be more than adequate and be classic rifles. Everyone should own a lever in 30-30. It is a rule you must have missed. I'd go that way but I've never owned one of the Savage 99's. That would be tempting as well if I could find a nice one I could afford.
Old July 30, 2016, 09:01 AM   #15
kraigwy

You answered your own question.

Shoot less then 100 yards. 30-30 is perfect.

You really like lever actions. Again a near perfect rifle and there are several that come in the 30-30 round.

A tad off topic. My wife found and came home with a pre-64 (made in 1926) Model 94 Saddle ring Carbine in 30-30 (30 WCF). 18 inch barrel and excellent shooter. I have lots of guns but if I was to hunt deer and 100 yards or less, I'd steal that gun from her.

Granted its was probably more then what you'd want to pay for a hunting rifle but its slick.

Something I've noticed, being a Winchester gun. Model 94s are pricy now days, but I noticed that commutative rifles are often cheaper then the same standard 94, why I have no ideal. But something to think about.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 30, 2016, 09:42 AM   #16
Targa

I am with the lever action crowd as well given your uses for the rifle. As for chambering? Man that's tough, I have lever actions in both .44mag and 30-30, both will do the job very well. Like you mentioned, you can get a revolver to go with that .44. My 16" Rossi and 5.5" Ruger SBH are a favorite combo of mine at the range. But then again there is the iconic 30-30 deerslayer, I love shooting that Winchester. Decisions, Decisions..

Edit: I just noticed in another thread that you are pretty enamored by the CZ, don't see you going wrong there either, wouldn't mind one of those myself.

Last edited by Targa; July 30, 2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old July 31, 2016, 05:06 AM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

JackstrawIII, check your current game laws, and make sure a rifle is legal where you are.

I don't know what the laws are today, but I grew up hunting in "upstate" NY (the real upstate, north of Lake George, not the "upstate" of the Finger Lakes region, ), and at that time, deer hunting was divided into "northern" and '"southern" zones. Handguns and rifles were legal in the northern zone. The southern zone was shotgun ONLY, and for deer, SLUG only although buckshot or slug was legal for black bear.

The last time I hunted in northern NY was back in 78, and the game laws (including where the boundaries of each zone are) could have changed since then. A lot of other stuff has changed, so check CURRENT law.

Either a .44Mag or a .30-30 will do fine under 100yds, if legal. What more important is your ability.
Old July 31, 2016, 07:54 AM   #18
upstate81

In new york the laws are set by county not zone. Most all counties now allow centerfire rifles. 44 amp, you should have hunted the finger lakes. The deer are bigger and much more abundant. They all eat corn, soy beans, and fruit. Not just pine cones and the flavor of the meat shows it. As to the original question, id likely not pick the 3030 or 44. Soley because it kind of backs you into a corner with performance. You may not think you need the extra range until you do!

Last edited by upstate81; July 31, 2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old July 31, 2016, 09:46 AM   #19
ammo.crafter

under 100 yds

I absolutely enjoy hunting with my Thompson Contender; bot with rifle barrels and pistol barrels.

Check them out, you will have many caliber choices using one main frame.
Old August 1, 2016, 02:17 AM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
In new york the laws are set by county not zone. Most all counties now allow centerfire rifles.
Good to hear most now allow rifles. I was hunting the Adirondacks back in the late 60s and early 70s. There was "northern zone" and "southern zone", and the rules were different in each (in those days). For example, in the southern zone you had to wear your tag on your back, in northern zone, you didn't have to wear it, just have it. Some counties contained both zones. Saratoga country was southern zone, south of Rt 40, northern zone, north of that, for example. Again, it was a long time ago, I'm sure much has changed.

Mother was a Town Clerk, and sold hunting licenses, Dad was NRA certified Hunter Safety, and Rifle & Pistol instructor. And, he worked for the state Conservation Dept. We were WELL instructed in the rules back then.
Old August 1, 2016, 04:08 AM   #21
NHSHOOTER

A lover of bolt guns here and no matter what the range. I would put my 2cents in and add the model 7 remington, if its already been suggested, sorry, I didnt read all the posts. It does come in 308 which you have, and in 7-08 which I have one in. Its a great little rifle to carry, older ones have irons but new ones come clean. It also has a adjustable trigger.
Old August 1, 2016, 07:45 AM   #22
Rancid

I do a lot of hunting with my little 7mm-08 Winchester Featherweight. Easy to carry and it simply kills stuff!
Old August 1, 2016, 07:56 AM   #23
MJFlores

I think a model 94 in 32 Winchester Special would be just the perfect gun for this sort of thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWrqut9vq3w
Old August 1, 2016, 10:11 AM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

My Dad carried a Win 94 in .32 Special for years. Dropped at least 3 deer I know of. It will work just fine.

There are, however, two drawbacks to the .32 Special. One real, one potential. The potential is that .32Specials have a reputation for losing their accuracy (sometimes) with no apparent reason. Not saying it will, only that it can.

The main, and the real drawback to the .32 Special is that ammo production is, and has for some time been "seasonal".

"Seasonal" ammo production does not mean it is produced every season. What it means is that it is produced every few YEARS, give or take. When the inventory reaches a certain low point, the factory sets up the production line, does a run to bring the inventory back up to the desired level, then packs up the tooling and puts it away, until the next time. Depending on the sales of the ammo, it might be a year, two, or 6.

IF there is a "run" on the ammo (unexpected buying surge) which sometimes happens due to a popular movie, or other reason for renewed interest, there can be a "dry spell" with no "new" ammo available, until the next factory run.

If you like and want the .32 Special, buy several years worth of ammo, when you have the chance, and you'll likely always have some.

If you are a handloader, don't sweat it! Components are always out there, and if you can't find .32 Special brass you can make acceptable cases from the common .30-30 very easily.
Old August 1, 2016, 11:01 AM   #25
MJFlores

Two things to note on the .32 Winchester Special. Years ago they were thought to lose accuracy. Some thought it was due to throat erosion...others the 16" twist rifling wasn't consistently fast enough. Luckily, the rumors have mostly been proven false....a bunch of sample ammo from the 30's throuhg 50's were pulled and measured and it was found that bullet size was the problem. A 32 Win Sp used .321 bullets but many older bullets sampled ended up measuring .318 to .319. These days proper .321 bullets shoot fine even in rifles who's owners had resigned to "it's not as accurate as other rifles but it's good enough for deer hunting".

Another condition is or was the seasonal ammo supply. Winchester and Remington make it on a seasonal basis, but Hornady stocks it full time with their fantastic LEVERevolution ammo line. They also readily sell bullets and brass. Federal has began offering .32 Win Special in their full time product line too so now it's easier to obtain than it was just 5 years ago. I hope more manufacturers catch on and start to give the .32 the attention it deserves. It's a great rifle cartridge, with a neat history and it packs a big punch with little recoil. I really enjoy that old cartridge and as a 100 yard deer rifle, it's

Tags
deer gun , deer hunting , recommendation , short range