The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Doug260

Quieter Outdoor Shooting?

I live in an area where it is legal and safe to shoot a .22 pistol in my backyard. I have a large pile of stacked wood that I use as a backstop and shoot from 50' to 75'. There is a wooded area behind the wood pile. I keep my targets close to the ground so I am always shooting down. I have houses on 2 sides of me that are 150-200 yards away. Others beyond that. I haven't had any complaints yet and I would like to keep it that way. In the interest of being a good neighbor I am trying to find a way to lessen the noise I produce. I am thinking of building a wooden box approx. 48" long and 24" square. I would mount legs on it to get the center of it up to shoulder height. I would then hold the gun inside when shooting through it lenghtwise. I would line it with that bumpy packing foam so that the opening opposite me would be about 12"-15". I would be able to easily see around it and through it so I would have the ability to see if something or someone moved into my shooting zone. Depending on how thick and heavy I build the box would it even make enough difference in deadening the sound to make it worth the effort? Just wondering if anyone has tried this before and what was the result. Thanks.
Old February 8, 2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Bluesfan

If your neighbors don't complain you probably don't have a problem. However a properly placed dirt berm and some thick shrubbery might do the trick without being as restrictive as the box idea.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure that the box would have to be AT LEAST several feet long in order to make any appreciable difference.

I'm just curious but do you actually know the distance to your neighbors and the law as it pertains thereto? In many places there is a 500 foot zone wherein you would need specific permission to discharge firearms. 500 feet being 167 yards.
Old February 9, 2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Doug260

According to the Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide you must be at least 450 feet away from most buildings when hunting, unless you have written permission from the landowner. The rule does not apply to target shooting or the discharge of firearms for non-hunting purposes. Legally, I am OK. I just would like to lessen the noise. I only shoot occasionally on weekends. I just thought I would ask to see what others had to say about my idea. The more I think about it though, the more I think it would be a waste of time and money. It would probably take a much bigger and heavier structure than I am willing to commit to. The best answer would be a suppressor, however they are not legal in Michigan. Too bad. Thanks for the replies.
Old February 9, 2010, 11:33 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Have you ever looked into any higher-end airguns?

Last edited by Slopemeno; February 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old February 10, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6
cpermd

Why not get a suppressor??

CP
Old February 10, 2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpermd
Why not get a suppressor??

CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug260
The best answer would be a suppressor, however they are not legal in Michigan. Too bad. Thanks for the replies.