The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 6, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1
guitar1580

Dying a holster

Is there a good way to darken a leather holster from light brown to very dark brown? Without using a dye that will bleed, streak, fade, or come off if it gets wet, etc? I'd rather leave it alone if there's not a good way to do it.

JP
Old February 6, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Lavid2002

oil? Seems to make leather a darker shade to me..... IDK
Old February 8, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
rcurry

If you don’t find the information you’re looking for on TFL, I’m sure someone could give you some guidance at http://leatherworker.net/content/
It’s a nice place to find info on leather.
Old February 8, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Pahoo

Quote:
Is there a good way to darken a leather holster from light brown to very dark brown?
Rather difficult to be specific on what you can do but will add my input in hopes of providing some assist on this. Basically you have three items on the surface; wax, a laquor type coating and some dye. The wax and laquor will have to be removed in order to get the penetration you want out of your darker dye. I have used Wil-Bond solvent to remove the wax and laquor. Get some "Spirit" type dye from Tandy or other suppliers. Go slow and let the dye penetrate and dry or to let the solvents evaporate. The Will-Bond and some spirit dyes can give off some strong fumes so use good ventilation. With the application of the darker dye, you might note areas where you missed some laquor or wax. As best you can, rework these areas. Recently did one in a dark Mahogany and another in black. Might also want to practice on the back side of your holster. Also, go to the forum that rcurry posted and see what those boys suggest.

Be Safe !!!
Old February 8, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5
nitetrane98

I had to change a brown holster to black for departmental policy. I took it to a shoe repair shop. It's still as black as the inside of a hat.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:45 PM   #6
rcurry

nitetrane98, that an excellent idea! It never crossed my mind that a shoe repair shop could do other things. That opens up a lot of possibilities without having to invest in supplies and equipment myself. That box of used leather at the pawn shop may have something useful for me after all.
Old February 11, 2010, 11:53 PM   #7
guitar1580

Thx guys, those are great ideas.

I recently bought a big bottle of Lexol, to try to soften a 90 yr old dried out holster.

I've been putting it on some of my newer leather holsters, and it does seem to darken them some. Seems to soften the leather up without feeling greasy and without evaporating.

Josh P
Old February 13, 2010, 10:25 AM   #8
jreXD9

I did this a couple weeks ago to a very light brown holster that I wanted to dye black. I talked to a guy at a shoe repair shop and he said to.....
get some paint thinner and a bristle brush.
I dunked it in the paint thinner and scrubbed it hard with the brush and did it again the next day.
On the 3rd day I brushed it with black leather dye and let it dry for a few hrs and then did it again.
The next day I did the same thing.
After it dried again I took it back to the shoe repair shop and he took a high speed soft brush to it to get off the excess. He then sprayed it with something and let it dry for a couple minutes. The light brown holster is now shiny black and looks sharp with the PM9 in it.
Total cost for this was less than $10.