The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 24, 2013, 05:39 PM   #26
22-rimfire

45 ACP is underpowered for whitetail deer hunting as is the typical 357 mag except at short range. You owe it to the animal to use an appropriate caliber and hunt ethically. This is one of the reasons hunters are called sportsmen.

All centerfire calibers are legal in my state to hunt deer with. I used to say if the state regulations allowed for a particular caliber, then using it is ethical. Not anymore. Even the 25ACP is legal in my state unless they changed the guidelines again and I'm not aware of it.
Old November 24, 2013, 07:18 PM   #27
CCCLVII

Quote:
Even the 25ACP is legal in my state unless they changed the guidelines again and I'm not aware of it.
Same here in Idaho. I once bought a 25acp at a local gun dealer and told him I was going to use it for deer... He knew I was kidding.
Old November 24, 2013, 07:55 PM   #28
tahunua001

Quote:
45 ACP is underpowered for whitetail deer hunting as is the typical 357 mag except at short range. You owe it to the animal to use an appropriate caliber and hunt ethically. This is one of the reasons hunters are called sportsmen.

that, my friend, is a 9mm carbine, the 147gr loads I worked up are about the average load you would expect from a 357 revolver in that weight class. I shot it at 50 yards, a very reasonable whitetail range. I did not have to dump an entire mag into it and my shot placement was not ideal but it killed a dead deer just as dead as my younger brother's whitetail with a 30-06 with the exact same shot placement. neither deer made it more than 10 feet. I am sick and tired of people claiming that using pistol calibers is unethical. if YOU can't do it then it is unethical for YOU to try it. if the OP is a good shot and knows when to pass up a poor shot then there is no reason why it is unethical for HIM to attempt it.

however I still stand by my original statement. 45ACP out of a 5 inch barrel is a pretty poor hunting round, put it in a carbine and then it becomes a whole other ballgame.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:05 PM   #29
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Another way to look at this 45 acp question. Doable or not depends on your Department of Game and it's Regulations concerning Big Game Hunting.

Quote:
Simple question: Is it legal or not to harvest a (deer) during your States scheduled Deer Hunting Season with a 45-ACP handgun?
For a Tennessean as read it's lawful. In my State its unlawful to use it for that purpose. Irregardless of my ability.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:48 PM   #30
RangerHAAF

In my opinion, there are some things that are just not done and this is one of them. If you're gonna hunt with a handgun do it right, with a 6-8 inch magnum tricked out for that purpose. It seems that you've already decided to do it so let us know how it goes.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old November 24, 2013, 10:39 PM   #31
22-rimfire

When I was a kid, I was focused on shooting ability versus caliber. I always felt then my Dad's 30-06 was not necessary for deer hunting. Got a little older after loosing a deer I shot with my 243 because I was such a good shot (and I was).... That was the last season for that rifle and I upped the power level to 270 win which is consistant with my Dad' old reliable 30-06. I saved all summer for a new Remington M700 BDL in 270 win. That was a huge expenditure for me when I only made about $1000 working the entire summer every day.

With handguns, I thought a 357 mag was a huge handgun caliber when I was 21. Killed people... deer is about the same, right?..... but so does the 22LR. After buying a 6" Colt Python, I changed my mind. I upped the power level to 41 mag and was comfortable there and still comfortable with that choice. But I now use a revolver chambered for 480 Ruger for deer. I wanted enough power that a slightly imperfect shot in the front shoulders would break bones and put the deer down, and create a good blood trail if it ran a bit. I feel you don't get that with a 45 ACP or 357 mag from a HANDGUN. Tahuna, notice I said HANDGUN.

Ethics and sportsmanship come into play if you're a hunter and sportsman. But when I was 16, I believed the 243 was plenty for deer with a 100 gr soft point bullet. I changed my view based on MY experience.

Quote:
Tahuna said...however I still stand by my original statement. 45ACP out of a 5 inch barrel is a pretty poor hunting round, put it in a carbine and then it becomes a whole other ballgame.
And I agree with you.

Many "hunters" take poor shots all the time, and the problem is compounded when an inadequate caliber is chosen in a HANDGUN. It goes like this.... I know I can hit pretty well at 25-30 yds with this gun, and the buck is at 50 or 60 yds... I can do it if they have a good handle on the distance at all. That's how deer are wounded all the time and lost to die a slow miserable death.

If I were Fireman, I would use the 44 mag and leave the 45 ACP home.

Tahuna, YOU used a rifle with 9mm. Not my choice, nor would I recommend such with factory ammunition. But that is what you chose. You also seemed to make a point that you didn't use the entire magazine.... that struck me as odd actually.

I agree with what RangerHaaf said. Use enough gun! I mostly use a 480 Ruger these days and leave the rifle home.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:58 PM   #32
Guv

Funny how many questions are asked about a 243 or 30-30's ability to take whitetail humanly and then we have one about using a 45ACP! You could use a 22lr if you were close enough but should you? Respect the game you're hunting and use enough gun, not a 45ACP.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:47 PM   #33
bcarver

my opinion

My thoughts would be "why?"
And my opinion would be take the best weapon you have.
Old November 25, 2013, 06:32 PM   #34
BirchOrr

Yes...

... we should all hunt responsibly!

This does not mean a WT deer can't be taken with a .45 ACP. I've taken many a deer with a .44 Colt/Walker black powder pistol. Distance is everything. Under 40 yards, I wouldn't hesitate to take down a deer with a .45 It's all about practice and knowing what any pistol will/will not do. Never took a shot @ a deer that far (with a Walker) but have done it many times on paper. I know exactly where that Walker hits @ 100 yards.

Hunting in southern Michigan we have 2 choices... shotguns or black powder rifles. I've also taken several deer out past 200 yards with a BP in-line rifle. (try that with a shotgun). Yep... got 1 shot... how many ya need? Practiced out to 250 yards and I know what the rifle will do. Having a pistol to get one up close is a good idea. Also to put a killing shot into an animal that might be flopping around out there before you can re-load your BP rifle.

Responsibility in hunting goes far beyond caliber... it boils down to effectively and mercifully taking the animal. Knowing exactly what you can and can't do with any firearm or bow and arrow for that matter.

Go get 'em!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old November 25, 2013, 06:41 PM   #35
jimbob86

Quote:
The 45ACP shoots a 0.451/0.452 diameter bullet same as the 45 Colt - therefore, if a 44 Mag, 45 Colt or the 454 Casull can kill a deer using a 240 to 260 grain bullet at 900 to 1,000 fps - then the 45ACP can do it just as well.
...except a .45 ACP can't launch a 260gr bullet @900-1000 f/sec .... 230 @800 is the standard loading.

.45ACP =/= .454 Casull.
Old November 25, 2013, 07:10 PM   #36
WIN1886

My own observation is: Most people I know that hunt with a handgun practice a lot and spend time knowing their firearms , similar to a lot of serious bow hunters !

While I figure most folks that frequent these forums are all interested in knowing their firearms well , how many times have you seen people a week or two before hunting season shoot a few rounds once a year then feel they are ready to fire at a deer 200 yards away running full tilt because they can point & fire a bullet wielding over 2000 ft lbs of energy in the general direction ?

Anyway , I'm no ballistic expert nor have I shot a deer with a .45 auto but there are folks here that have and more humanely than getting hit in the hind quarters or gut shot with a .338 magnum !

BB .45 acp +P 255 grain HCFP = over 900 fps !

Last edited by WIN1886; November 25, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old November 25, 2013, 08:06 PM   #37
Ole 5 hole group

Well jimbob86, it appears you have never considered hunting with a 45ACP handgun, as if you did, you'd probably reload your own cartridges or maybe purchase a few rounds from such makers as Buffalo Bore, as opposed to shooting commercial hardball.

You can easily and safely get a 265 grain cast beartooth up to 1,006 fps from a 5" 1911 using VV N350 and Buffalo Bore 255 grain cast ammo does right at 940 to 975 fps from various 5" 1911's/Glock 21's - so, maybe you would like to rethink your definition of "can't" when talking about the 45ACP.

Plenty of "big hole" penetration there and both loads will break both front shoulders on a whitetail or mulie and will usually make 2 big holes in the process.

If you feel the need for more power using the 1911 I guess you could step up to the 45 ACP Super or the Rowland and start knocking on the door of the 44 magnum.

To conclude - the 454 Casull and 45 ACP using the same bullet going the same velocity of 950fps will be ======. That was my point in the 1st post.
Old November 25, 2013, 08:13 PM   #38
Guv

Funny how people like to compare high pressure, high performance loads in one caliber to standard loads in other calibers. How about comparing the Buffalo Bore 44 mag load to the 45ACP BB load.
Old November 25, 2013, 08:19 PM   #39
Guv

That 255gr 460 Rowland Buffalo Bore load is one hot SOB though!
Old November 25, 2013, 08:29 PM   #40
jimbob86

re: Hunting with .45ACP

Quote:
Well jimbob86, it appears you have never considered hunting with a 45ACP handgun, as if you did, you'd probably reload your own cartridges or maybe purchase a few rounds from such makers as Buffalo Bore, as opposed to shooting commercial hardball.

You can easily and safely get a 265 grain cast beartooth up to 1,006 fps from a 5" 1911 using VV N350 and Buffalo Bore 255 grain cast ammo does right at 940 to 975 fps from various 5" 1911's/Glock 21's - so, maybe you would like to rethink your definition of "can't" when talking about the 45ACP
I did consider it when I was younger and thought I was smarter than everybody else ..... I managed to get a 230gr XTP up to near 900 f/sec with vN-340 .... but then I noticed that several palces on the gun were taking a beating, and I was still just barely legal from a ft/pounds minimum standpoint ....... I doubt that a steady diet of BB loads are going to be any kinder to my gun than what I loaded.

You can make a Honda Civic run like a street rod, but it's either a short term proposition (you are exceeding the design parameters) or you have to modify it (you change the design parameters) to the point it is no longer really a Civic.