The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 18, 2017, 11:44 AM   #1
gewehrfreund

Rem. 700 puzzler

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of 700's can answer a couple of questions about a rifle I recently acquired.

It's a LH BDL with an "A" prefixed serial number. The barrel, however, is a stainless 308 without the warning stamp and with a left side (i.e. date) stamp of "LH" (curious that this is the stamp when the rifle is a left-handed one!)

This code would suggest a date of Feb. 1987, for the barrel anyway. I thought Remington was putting the warning on barrels by this time, but I can't find any verification of when that actually started.

Thanks for any insights anyone can provide.
Old February 18, 2017, 01:11 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

The barrel has very likely been changed by a previous owner. No SS LH BDL's that I can find. Wouldn't see a changed barrel as a horrible thing myself
Old February 18, 2017, 04:09 PM   #3
jmr40

Sounds like someone swapped barrels. Is the whole rifle SS or just the barrel? The barrel code will tell you when the barrel is made, you can call Remington with the SN to find the DOM on the action. I'm betting they aren't the same.

Winston Churchill
Old February 18, 2017, 06:56 PM   #4
gewehrfreund

Thanks, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. I know the barrel was switched (it's a polished blue receiver).
My question was why would a barrel from 1987 not have the warning on it; or to put it another way, does anyone know when Remington started stamping their barrels with the warning.

And while we're at it, who can tell me what 700 model this SS 308 barrel may have come from in 1987 (obviously it was on a short action, but it might been a RH rifle since barrels are not LH or RH)? It started life at least 24" long (someone added a brake at some point). I've struck out trying to find it in the Blue Book, etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; February 18, 2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old February 18, 2017, 08:43 PM   #5
lefteye

Does the barrel have any markings that indicate it was made by Remington? I don't think Remington has ever made a Model 700 with a blued action and a stainless steel barrel.
Old February 19, 2017, 06:33 AM   #6
dgludwig

He said that he already knows the barrel has been switched so, theoretically at least, it's entirely feasible that his Model 700 has a blued receiver and a s/s barrel (if I'm understanding this correctly).
Old February 19, 2017, 10:06 AM   #7
gewehrfreund

I thought my second comment above made things clearer; guess not.

It's a Remington BLUED LH receiver with a REMINGTON SS 308 barrel without the warning stamp.

I found one on ebay for sale that looks just like the one on my rifle. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-st...0AAOSw5cNYmJM0

Now, any guesses as to when this barrel was produced?
Any guesses as to why it does not have the warning stamp?
Any guesses as to what variation this barrel was used on?
Anyone know when Remington started stamping their barrels with the warning?

Last edited by gewehrfreund; February 19, 2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old February 19, 2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Reloadron

If the rifle was re barreled using an aftermarket barrel such as Shilen or similar the barrel will not have any warnings like a factory barrel. None that I have ever seen anyway. Here is an example of my originally Remington 700 series (Model 725 222 Rem.) blued action with a stainless heavy .223 Remington barrel. The replacement barrel only has the caliber marked, that is all.

Barrel makers like Shilen, Kreiger, Leija, Shaw and the rest do not mark the barrels. The smith doing the work would label the caliber or should anyway. If the barrel started as a blank it would only have a bore diameter for example .308 the smith would cut the chamber such as .308 Win, 300 Win Mag or whatever .308 diameter bore he chambers the barrel for. Barrels also normally do not have a manufacturer name stamped on them, not the ones I have worked with anyway.

Ron
Old February 19, 2017, 01:41 PM   #9
brasscollector

My 2014 production 308 Win Remington 700 SPS has that exact stamping (ebay pics) on the side of the barrel. My barrel is 26" and not stainless but SS is definitely available. Now the question is when did Remington stop stamping the warning on the barrels?
Old February 19, 2017, 02:42 PM   #10
gewehrfreund

Hmmmmm, interesting Brasscollector. That's one possibility that I hadn't considered given our liability lawyer crazy society.
Old February 19, 2017, 03:28 PM   #11
ShootistPRS

Is there any evidence that the barrel was made and installed by Remington? Is the barrel branded? If not then it would be up to the barrel maker and installer to put what markings are needed. Usually the gunsmith will put the caliber and his name on an after-market barrel.
Old February 20, 2017, 09:24 AM   #12
gewehrfreund

Are my previous posts not showing, or are people just not reading them!????

Time to close this thread before someone else asks if this is a Remington barrel.. . .
Old February 20, 2017, 10:50 AM   #13
dgludwig

Is this a Remington barrel?
Old February 21, 2017, 07:16 AM   #14
gewehrfreund

Ha!

I'm now pretty sure it's a rare Harlow Parkenfarker barrel, with reverse gain twist and throat choke.

Should make my rifle worth at least $2000 more to collectors and those who are truly looking for the ultimate in old-time accuracy.
Old March 1, 2017, 02:04 PM   #15
Lucas McCain

After market barrels, Shilen, Lilja, Hart, and such mark there blanks on the breach end along with caliber and twist when they build them. When they machine them for head spacing these marks disappear.
There are two ways to identify the barrel.
1. The receipt from a reputable gun smith who did it should identify it.
2. The most proof positive way is to have a smith identify if it is:
A . Determine if it is a cut rifled barrel or button rifled or hammer forged. That will narrow down the possible manufactures.
B. Have a casting made of the barrel, measure the rifling width, and groove depth. Manufactures have riflings that are unique to their company, with those measurements a barrel can be identified. Even if it is a Remington.

Some barrels just don't shoot good enough to please the owner after after a 100 rounds or so, it gets removed, replaced with another barrel. The take off gets sold at a bargain price to someone else.That brings on problems in the used market with questions like you are asking.

edited to clarify better, guess I need to proof read posts better.

Last edited by Lucas McCain; March 2, 2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old March 1, 2017, 09:08 PM   #16
HiBC

See post 7.

It might have been a little vague before post 7,but I think the OP nailed it in post 7.
Old March 3, 2017, 08:39 AM   #17
gewehrfreund