The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2019, 09:56 AM   #1
oldscot3

Ruger Gunsite 5.56

Looking at Ruger's "Gunsite Scout" model in 5.56 and there's features I like and others I don't particular care for.

I like the stout barrel with a 1:8 twist rate. I like that the barrel is short, and threaded so it's compatible with a suppressor.
I like the mod. 77 based action. The stock is fine, though a quality fiberglass/polymer would be preferred by me. I like the open sights it comes with although the rear peep has to be removed to use optics mounted on the receiver.

The forward (barrel mounted) picatinny I can take or leave. It gives the option of a scout, but these days I prefer a small red dot to a scout scope and I like them best mounted at the rear of the receiver.

My number one dislike is the huge 10 round mag. Apparently it's the same one they use with the 308 Scout, they just put a plastic insert inside the body to fit the smaller 223 rounds. Reviews generally agree it's a good mag and feeds well but it's just unnecessarily large IMO.

Does anyone, familiar with this rifle, know if five rounders will be offered in the future?

I've been to Accurate-Mag's website and Ruger's and didn't see anything. In my dreams Ruger would have engineered a flush fit rotary mag similar to that featured on some of their other models like the 77/22 and 77/44.
Old January 23, 2019, 11:49 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

We're in accord about the hang-down magazine. I shot a friend's RGS; great gun but for that awkward mag. I like to be able to carry a rifle one-handed at the balance point, so that long mag is a bummer deal for me.
Old January 23, 2019, 12:10 PM   #3
oldscot3

I wonder if conventional bottom metal and magazine for a short action m77 would fit the inletting?

Anyone know?
Old January 23, 2019, 01:25 PM   #4
offroadmatt

I'm doing a rebarrel on a .308 version right now. Simple because the guy didn't like the forward rail. Had a custom contour done by krieger to match the current stock inletteting. Kind of excited to see how it performs.
Old January 23, 2019, 01:28 PM   #5
offroadmatt

I'll take a look at the DBM tonight and see what i think about replacements.
Old January 23, 2019, 06:12 PM   #6
oldscot3

Looking at my 77 Hawkeye SA with a conventional floorplate, it appears that the inletting could be the same. If they are I may start posting some WTBs for bottom metal and magazine. Maybe I can find someone who went the other way than me.
Old January 23, 2019, 07:31 PM   #7
jmr40

Quote:
I wonder if conventional bottom metal and magazine for a short action m77 would fit the inletting?
I seriously doubt it.

I can't find that rifle on their website. Only showing 308, 6.5 CM and 450 BM unless I missed it. I know they did offer it in 223/5.56 at one time.

Considering which features you like, and don't like, just buy one of these. Or 3 of them for the same money. I paid $389 OTD.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ch/models.html

The 10 round AR magazines aren't too big and they shoot great. Or you could go with the one that takes 5 round flush fit mags.

Winston Churchill
Old January 25, 2019, 07:02 PM   #8
bamaranger

agreed

Me too regards the hang down box on an otherwise tidy bolt rifle. Yes, having the option of a big boxy is attractive for one reason or another, but I would not ever routinely carry the rifle that way. Trail carry, at the balance point would be impossible, and slung over your back or at the side, it would chew a hole in you.

Jmr's comments on the American Ranch make a lot of sense for your likes.
Old January 25, 2019, 08:20 PM   #9
amd6547

The 7.62x39 American Ranch sure makes a lot of sense for my likes...
Old January 26, 2019, 06:16 PM   #10
sparkyv

I have the RGSR in .308, and there is a variety of magazine capacities are available, but didn't realize not so with the 5.56. Good to know.
Old January 26, 2019, 11:35 PM   #11
jaysouth

The 7.62x39 American Ranch sure makes a lot of sense for my likes..

I don't have this in the Scout rifle but I have a Ruger American Rifle that they call the "ranch rifle" in 7.62x39. It has a 16" barrel and is handy getting into blinds and in and out of boats. I liken it to a bolt action 30-30.
Old January 30, 2019, 07:21 PM   #12
oldscot3

The Ruger Ranch is a good alternative for the Gunsite with its' internal magazine. Same barrel length and 1:8 twist, threaded, all good. Not a CRF but half the price.

As for the question of changing the Gunsite to an internal magazine, no. The stock would just about let you but the opening is larger and your internal mag would be a loose fit. The real disqualifier is the action, it's opened up for the dm bottom. The internal mag doesn't fit it at all.

I'll learn to love the dm, or at least tolerate it.