The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2018, 10:22 AM   #151
F. Guffey

Quote:
The seating die when set up was turned back two full turns

Backed off from what? Contact with the crimp and neck or the die with the shell holder. I am the fan of aligning the case, die and shell holder, Backing the die off .142" Is not necessary. If my dies do not come with directions, don't worry', I have a drawer full of instructions.

F. Guffey
Old September 2, 2018, 12:29 PM   #152
hounddawg

dunno about yall but my shellholders allow the cases to float so they align themselves into the die. Unless you are running a Forster CoAx where the case is gripped by a universal shellholder and the die floats and aligns itself the the case

No need to over complicate, or stress. Contrary to what some would here want you to believe it is all pretty simple.

Thanks to the internet you can find plenty of videos on how to set up a sizing die. Just use your fave search engine and do a search for <insert brand name> sizing die adjustment
Old September 2, 2018, 09:54 PM   #153
ninosdemente

From the brass. Was following post #107. Sure can use your drawer of instructions. Lol. I'm always open to any help.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:18 AM   #154
mehavey

Quote:
"...your drawer of instructions. Lol...."
By George, I think he's got it !
(an inside-the-Forum-joke here)

Actually Nino, I believe you were fighting two problems: first, the peculiar Hornady bullet shape that can produce an interference fit in some chambers; and two, shoulder bulge from crimp-while-seating syndrome.

Taken together, they drive`ya nuts.

But (by George ) you're Good2Go now -- Press on.
Old September 3, 2018, 09:37 AM   #155
F. Guffey

Quote:
No need to over complicate, or stress. Contrary to what some would here want you to believe it is all pretty simple.
Quote:
Contrary to what some would here want you to believe
I hope I am in the group that wants the OP to know some reloaders are full if it. The deck height of the shell holder is .125", that added to the part where I insist many reloaders are driven to the curb by tappers; when the die is "backed 'WAY' off" like 2 turns of .071+" there is no way to center the case in the die.

I have shell holders that fit the case like a hand-me-down shirt, it fits where it touches; if the die is backed off 2 turns or way-off the case can only touch on one side or not touch at all.

Again, I have loose fitting shell holders, loose fitting shell holders are my favorite; a lose fitting shell holder has more utility. And then? I have good fitting shell holders. The loose and tight shell holders serve a purpose and then there is the reloader with shop skills, he looks for utility.

A builder of wildcat rifles ask for help, seems he build a number of rifles that required expensive ammo. He wanted help forming cases; the first thing he ask for was 'the other #4 RCBS shell holder'. I knew the belted cases he was attempting to form had been overloaded and the cases heads had shortened from the cup above the web to the case head and the case heads had increased in diameter! Because the case would not fit the 'normal' #4 shell holder (typing slower) because the case had been hammered and the shell holder was a loose fitting shell holder.

Back to a good fitting shell holder, when I size fired cases and find the case head has expanded I know I overdid it. There is no reason to check the primers for signs of pressure. And it is not written anywhere the shell holder is designed to check for case head expansion. It is not written (or typed) anywhere the reloader should have a small gasket cutting ball peen hammer for such emergencies.

F. Guffey
Old September 20, 2018, 11:01 AM   #156
overblownhorse

i just bought a savage 223 and i have the same problem kinda i have loaded 2 batches of rounds 30 each the first were fine. i only had one that was tight. the second batch my buddy was reloading his 223 and asked me to see if one of his rounds fit in my gun. one did not one did. i then reloaded my own ammo and 10 out of 30 didnt fit the only thing i changed was the powder. so i made them a little longer to start high and work the seating down more until it fit. the first one i made fit no problem so i made another it didnt fit. i tried another round from my friends batch it fit. i dont know whats going on with this. his rounds are almost 2.30 and mine the first batch were 2.095 why would some rounds fit and some not. in that much of a size gap
Old September 20, 2018, 12:07 PM   #157
F. Guffey

Quote:
i dont know whats going on with this. his rounds are almost 2.30 and mine the first batch were 2.095 why would some rounds fit and some not. in that much of a size gap
I can only guess someone has you in a dead run; I am not the fan of putting reloaders into mortal combat with the press, die and shell holder. When I size a case there is a chance the case wins because it has more resistance to sizing than the press can overcome. When sizing a case I always have the opportunity to measure the gap between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder to determine if the press won or the case won.

And then there is seating and crimping; crimping while seating can be a bad habit. I suggest your avoid crimping until you learn how. It goes back to the part about the reloader believing he can move the shoulder back; it is impossible to move the shoulder back with a die that has case body support. I repeat myself: The seating/crimp die does not have case body support.

F. Guffey
Old September 20, 2018, 07:12 PM   #158
ninosdemente

Overblownhorse, what projectile did you use? Curious to know what you and your friend are using. Not trying to offer advise as I'll leave that to those with many years under their belt.

But, I used VMAX 60gr that started the problem for me. I changed to Nosler CC 69gr and it worked better for me. I am still determine to at least use the VMAX, somewhat stubborn to let them go to waste.