The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2020, 09:31 AM   #1
tank1949

Retro-fitting older Glocks with rails?

I am trying to find the best rail system to retro-fit an older Glock 17 so that I can mount a light/laser combination under barrel/frame. I assume aluminum material would be the best. I can drill and tap Glock frame if needed. I have located several options on the WWW, but most purchasers have provided mixed reviews. I want rail as close as possible to frame. Thx!
Old January 21, 2020, 10:06 AM   #2
lee n. field

Quote:
I can drill and tap Glock frame if needed.
Isn't that area where Glock puts it's serial number plate?

I've not seen any add on bolt on rail adapters (for pistols that don't have them) that looked like anything other than a kludge.
Quote:
"A kludge or kluge (/klʌdʒ, kluːdʒ/) is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain. This term is used in diverse fields such as computer science, aerospace engineering, Internet slang, evolutionary neuroscience, and government."
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 21, 2020, 12:15 PM   #3
Siggy-06

Theres something like this:

ReCover Tactical RC12 Rail for the Glock 17 and 22 Gen 1 and 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G8USMX2..._RdZjEb83KT26R

And then theres a rail that mounts through the serial port. I dont have a part number, but Brownells used to sell them.
Old January 21, 2020, 03:33 PM   #4
lechiffre

Sell the old gen 1 or 2 Glock, then buy one with a rail. You might even come out ahead money wise.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old January 21, 2020, 06:43 PM   #5
Sgt127

What he said. That dust cover acts like jello under recoil. I wouldn’t try adding anything to it. And, you’ll ruin the value of the gun.
Old January 22, 2020, 09:32 AM   #6
highpower3006

I will add to the chorus, keep it as-is, sell it and get a more tackicool Glock.
Old January 22, 2020, 02:54 PM   #7
Forte S+W

Your best bet would be to purchase a Polymer 80% Frame with an accessory rail then use that.

Don't go butchering the frame of an older model Glock, possibly damaging it or destroying it in the process just so that you can attach a flashlight or laser to it which will just add weight to the gun and be practically worthless deadweight most of the time.
Old January 23, 2020, 06:40 AM   #8
tank1949

thanks to all!
Old January 23, 2020, 08:27 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
Your best bet would be to purchase a Polymer 80% Frame with an accessory rail then use that.

Don't go butchering the frame of an older model Glock, possibly damaging it or destroying it in the process just so that you can attach a flashlight or laser to it which will just add weight to the gun and be practically worthless deadweight most of the time.
To the last point, a firearm itself is dead weight most of the time. Most things are until you need them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 24, 2020, 10:26 PM   #10
jmr40

Used Glocks are cheap. It shouldn't be too hard to find a newer G17 with rails in the $300-$350 range. I occasionally find them new for $400.

Winston Churchill