The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2008, 11:55 PM   #26
Juhosaphat

My brother has the same problem in his 88 12 gauge. Once every 20-30 shells he'll get a jam. Hell, he's even had a jam AND misfire at the same time multiple times with the Federal 100 box lol Never a problem for me and my 870 though no matter what's being ran through it.
Old April 26, 2008, 10:39 AM   #27
Rebelbred

Walmart Shot Shells

I shoot lots of Scrap (that's wobble trap from skeet stations 1-7) where the claybirds are broken at 30-50 yards and I can't tell the difference between, high end AA or STS shells and cheap walmart stuff. Neither can I tell any difference between walmart's and hand loads using all the best components. I mainly use a Model 1100 and have never had any trouble with what walmart sells.

I pay $5.55 a box, tax included, for walmart Federal 12 gauge, 3 dram eqv. with 1 1/8 oz of shot which is almost 50 cents a box cheaper than I can reload using free hulls and shot at $50 per 25# bag!

I also shoot a 16 gauge SxS at sporting clays. Reloading makes more sense as 16 gauge shells are almost $10 a box if you can find them.
Old April 26, 2008, 09:33 PM   #28
nutty ned

The black remington promo shells sold for dove season do not work real well in my 11-87 everything else from wally world does.
Old April 26, 2008, 10:13 PM   #29
Sgt.Fathead

Never had a problem with #7, 8 or buck/slugs bought at Wally World. Have run thousands of rounds of 12 gauge 2-3/4" #7 shot for skeet, trap and training.
Old April 27, 2008, 09:08 AM   #30
mossberg500

I bought a couple boxes of 'cheap' Remington 12 ga shells at WM, about $5.50 or so. Didnt have any problem out of them myself.
Old April 28, 2008, 01:04 AM   #31
King Ghidora

I just wanted to point out that I wasn't making any claim about the quality of ammo at WW. I just know I had a couple of jams from stuff I got there. It could have just been a bad batch of shells for all I know. I've been shooting stuff from the same box since then with no more problems.
Old April 28, 2008, 09:19 AM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

"Does Walmart make shells...?"
No major retailer makes any product. If it has their name on the box it is just a "private label" item made under contract for the retailer by a manufacturer. Walmart does not sell any ammo labeled as their own that I ever seen...
"Do they still have the fiber wad...?"
All the ammo I fired in the last many years has had a poly wad...
Brent
Old April 28, 2008, 08:09 PM   #33
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

WalMart doesn't get cheaper shells than other stores. There isn't any second rate ammo that goes into any of their stores that I am aware of. You get what you pay for just like when you shop elsewhere. The less expensive shells they used to sell that were 1oz light loads just didn't have enough shot in each shell to effectively kill much at farther distances like heavier 1 an 1/8oz shells would. It's kind of like hunting with a 410 vs a 12GA. It's a no-brainer which one will effectively kill more at farther distances consistantly. Go try dove hunting with a 410 and see how well you do.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:24 PM   #34
oneounceload

WalMart doesn't get cheaper shells than other stores. There isn't any second rate ammo that goes into any of their stores that I am aware of. You get what you pay for just like when you shop elsewhere. The less expensive shells they used to sell that were 1oz light loads just didn't have enough shot in each shell to effectively kill much at farther distances like heavier 1 an 1/8oz shells would. It's kind of like hunting with a 410 vs a 12GA. It's a no-brainer which one will effectively kill more at farther distances consistantly. Go try dove hunting with a 410 and see how well you do.

a 1oz. load will kill most upland birds as well as 1-1/8 loads; there are a lot of us who use .410's for dove and quail - at the appropriate distance, though I prefer a 28 gauge - it's not the size of the payload, but how well it patterns in the gun
Old April 28, 2008, 11:10 PM   #35
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Well I shot enough 1oz loads to know there isn't enough shot to say what I said. The same goes for a 410. Not knocking it, but it's a kids gun to start out on. Not much use for anything else. A 410 just doesn't have much practical use from what I have seen.
Old April 28, 2008, 11:20 PM   #36
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

The more shot you can put downrange will and can increase your practical shooting range by quite a bit. The same can be said for heavy turkey loads. The theory that a great pattern from a light shooting load or smaller gage shotgun doesn't hold much water when you can go heavier and put a lot more shot in the game even though your pecentage of pattern stays the same vs one gage to the next. The day I hunt turkeys with a 410 even if it were legal, will be the day I quit hunting turkeys. I'll leave my Mossberg 835 to do that. I've tested enough shotguns and various loads and choke tubes of all makes to know enough about effective percentage shotgun patterns. The 1oz loads don't make the cut. 1/8oz more of shot is huge when it comes to performance of delivering a more effective killing pattern from what I have seen.
Old April 29, 2008, 09:36 AM   #37
oneounceload

Well I shot enough 1oz loads to know there isn't enough shot to say what I said. The same goes for a 410. Not knocking it, but it's a kids gun to start out on. Not much use for anything else. A 410 just doesn't have much practical use from what I have seen.

Actually, a .410 is an expert's gun due to the tiny shot amount and small pattern area - and it does quite well in the hands of an experienced shooter on quail and dove.....agreed not for turkey

I used to hunt wild phez in ND with my 20 gauge SXS, 7/8 oz #6 - worked every time I needed it to; but then I don't take 50yd shots at phez, and personlly think it's not the best choice
Old April 29, 2008, 04:36 PM   #38
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

Technically a 410 is not what I call an experts shotgun, but rather a gun that really limits your killing power except at close ranges. Yes you do have to be more on with your shot pattern at quail and dove if you were actually going to try and use it to hunt them with, but there are way better choices as for gages and better suited standing still game as for using it what it was intended for. You can use light gages to kill, and some like them, but I'll stick to the 12GA as for the better shotgun to get the job done on game at farther distances.
Old April 29, 2008, 05:07 PM   #39
WSM MAGNUM

Super-Dave says;

Cheap walmart shotgun shells

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard that the winchester shotgun shells they sell at walmart are of such cheap quality that they tend to stick in the barrel after they have been fired. Is this true?

I see some very good prices on winchester buck shot and slugs at walmart and was wondering if they are safe to buy or not.

What do you say?

Would you trust this ammo for hunting, or even for self defense?

In my opinion they are not cheap anymore. They were $4.79 a box not too long ago. They are the same Winchester shells that every one else sells. I`ve shot thousands of Winchester shells from Wal-Mart with no problems. And I`m using those same shells to reload them again.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old April 29, 2008, 09:14 PM   #40
okiewita40

It is just like anything else if your weapon isn't reliable with brand x ammo then use brand y ammo. nuf said
Old December 29, 2011, 01:17 PM   #41
gunsman

Walmart Winchester ammo

I have used a Remington 870, a Mossberg 500 and one other shotgun, can't remember what kind it was, with the Winchester 12 gauge shells from Walmart and every other shot jammed when trying to cock in another round. However, the Federal ammo, also purchased from Walmart worked great. Not sure if it's a Walmart thing or a Winchester thing.
Old December 29, 2011, 01:24 PM   #42
RedBowTies88

The only cheap shells I have a problem with are the remington green hull birdshot/target loads.

They're made so poorly the OAL is often just a tad longer then it should be and I have a hard time adding the 5th round to my magazine if it fits at all

Its the only ammo that has ever done that in my gun and it does it consistently.
Old December 29, 2011, 03:54 PM   #43
BudW

Same shells you buy at gun store
Old December 29, 2011, 04:05 PM   #44
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Same shells you buy at gun store
They are the same at a gun store only if you get the same model shell sold at WalMart.
Old December 29, 2011, 04:12 PM   #45
BigJimP

Do you guys realize this thread is 3 1/2 yrs old .........???
Old December 29, 2011, 04:27 PM   #46
mtnman

Funny!
Old May 26, 2012, 03:43 PM   #47
Prijon

Winchester Univeral 20 ga shells

Failure to eject 75% of time from my Beretta 391 recently. No problem with
the Remington gun club. Have not tried the Federal bulk pack in this gun yet.

When I called Winchester the customer service rep said, Well, they are no worse than anything else out there." Asked me if I had tried them in an over under as if it was my fault for using a gas gun. He then assured me that I would get a cash refund I sent in the receipt. ( I did shoot a box and a half out of 8 boxes.)

Just got the letter. No refund. Just less than the money I spent in coupons.They totally ignored the instructions in my letter about a refund. All I can do use the coupons for AA shells and hope they work.

The product and service is a good example of corporate arrogance. You can
be sure that I will share this with as many shooting friends as possible.
No more Winchester powder, shells or anything for this shooter.
Old May 26, 2012, 04:31 PM   #48
Slugo

there are little to no problems with Walmart's 4 pack shotgun shells. I've been shooting them for years with maybe an occasional hiccup every now and then. They are as good as any shell you can buy. Winchester, Remington and Federal all perform the same. I've shot literally thousands of their shells...
Old May 26, 2012, 09:53 PM   #49
KevK.

Never had a problem with the Wally-mart 2 3/4" Winchester ammo.

I've fired several hundred through my mossy 500, an old remington, and my dads browning and haven't had a failure.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:51 PM   #50
TheKlawMan

Half the question ignored

Not only is this thread ancient, the responses ignore on of two of the OP's questions. the one about whether the Winchester buckshot and slugs sold by WalMart are safe. By that I think he is asking if the stick in the chamber like the value pack target ammunition can with the 870.