The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Sheepfarmer

H&R Pardner

Finally got my mag extension in. It was made to hold 4 or 5 extra rounds but I cut it down so it holds 3. I cut it down with a pipe/tube cutter, filed off the burr, shoved a rag down the mag tube on the gun and ground the two "tits" off with a Dremel tool, pulled the rag out thereby cleaning out any metal particles, then oiled it good and mounted the extension. I will have to upload another pic later, but my homemade heat shield is installed too.

Also added a saddle with two Picatinny rails to mount a holographic green/red dot sight on top and another shell holder on the side which carries 5 rounds. So it has 5 00 buckshot on the saddle mount, 5 slugs on the stock mount, 8-#6 birdshot in the mag tube and one in the pipe. Last night I installed an iProtec tactical flashlight with remote pressure switch and a little laser to the side-rail of that. I may install a pumpkin puncher on the mag tube later then that will be it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotgun accessories2 jpg.jpg (83.9 KB, 42 views)
Old March 28, 2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Sheepfarmer

This is a photo of the heat shield I designed and CNC machined from .080 aluminum, before it was rolled to fit the barrel.
Old March 28, 2016, 03:13 PM   #3
FITASC

So what does the rig weigh with all of the extras and added ammo?
Is this for HD/SD, 3 gun, grins and giggles, or?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 28, 2016, 03:39 PM   #4
Sheepfarmer

I'll get back to you on that. This shotgun already feels like toting a ton of bricks without them. As far as parts go, all of the parts I put on it; holographic sight, mag tube, heat shield, mini-laser, and flashlight are aluminum so can't be too much. I'm guessing the 13 extra shells might be the heaviest things.

Use? Mostly HD. But I have a flock of 153 sheep, which during lambing season can swell to about 250. So the shotgun with mounted spotlight is nice to have when checking on what the dogs are barking at after dark. I have shot at predators with my 9mm and holding a flashlight. That just doesn't cut it.

Last edited by Sheepfarmer; March 28, 2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old March 28, 2016, 08:22 PM   #5
FITASC

Put it on a postal scale, I'm betting way over 9#.

Thing is, all the gizmos and gadgets have their place - one needs to decide if they the way the change the balance and handling are worth it.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 29, 2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Sheepfarmer

You're right. I weighed it with the flashlight, laser, heat shield, 5-shells stored on the stock, and the extended magazine tube fully loaded with 8- 2 3/4" shells and one in the chamber--14- 2 3/4" shells in all @ 9.8lbs. The shells on the stock weigh .6lbs and the 3 extras in the mag tube weigh .4 which means 1lb of extra shells. The gun with the gear weighed 8.8 with a normal load of shells and weighs 8.05 lbs empty. But the barebones factory gun already weighs 7.5 lbs empty and 8.25 lbs fully loaded.

However, that saddle thingy with the sight and extra shells weighs 1.4 lbs so with all that stuff it will weigh a whopping 11.2 lbs. So, yeah, I may just leave the holographic sight and saddle off; I didn't have it bolted on yet anyway. it looks cool on there but probably not needed.

Last edited by Sheepfarmer; March 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old March 29, 2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Creek Henry

Is this rig for hog hunting at night or are you doing some wet work with it?
Old March 29, 2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Sheepfarmer

I don't hog hunt. My two sons do as a matter of fact. I used to deer hunt a lot, but don't even do that anymore. I primarily will be using my shotgun as a predator getter and home defense. What is "wet work"?
Old March 30, 2016, 08:01 AM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
What is "wet work"?
On the internet, it is "game speak" from a video game commando, aka "an operator".........
Old March 30, 2016, 09:03 AM   #10
Sarge

Quote:
What is "wet work"?
Killing an enemy so close you get his blood on you, typically with edged weapons.

The Pardner Pump is a pretty decent shotgun.
Old March 30, 2016, 09:31 AM   #11
Sheepfarmer

I googled it.
Hopefully this one will never have to be pointed at another human being.

Yes, the pardner is solid built. Sounds like a freight train clacking over the tracks when I rack the slide. That sound should be enough deterrent to make an intruder scramble for the door.
Old March 30, 2016, 09:33 AM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
That sound should be enough deterrent to make an intruder scramble for the door.
Don't count on that; old wives' tale; it also gives your intruder your location and you lost the element of surprise
Old March 30, 2016, 09:52 AM   #13
Sheepfarmer

Good point.
I keep the SG chambered anyway, but I'm more likely to grab the 9mm by my bed first after my dog gives away HIS location.
Old April 3, 2016, 08:34 AM   #14
drobs

Now get yourself 2 of those over the shoulder shotgun shell bandoleers and you'll be all set.

While you're at it, don't forget the forearm shell holders too.

Old April 3, 2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Sheepfarmer

No thanks. This is enough
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...66&oe=577D45E3
Old April 6, 2016, 08:35 PM   #16
Snyper

I'd much rather have a rifle for predator control among a flock of sheep unless you don't mind eating Mutton
Old April 6, 2016, 09:12 PM   #17
Sheepfarmer

Solved by making dang sure of what is beyond your target. I have passed on many shots, even with a rifle, and even at a nice deer, because of that. And with neighbors around, I'm especially leery of discharging a high powered rifle because a bullet can travel for several miles. Not so with a shotgun loaded with 6's and at night, when I will be doing 99% of my predator shooting, the sheep bunch up in a wad so hitting one isn't much of a risk unless I do something stupid and shoot toward the flock. Again, I watch my backdrop.
Old April 7, 2016, 05:51 PM   #18
P71pilot

Aren't these made in China?
Old April 7, 2016, 06:36 PM   #19
Kilrain

Yes, they are made in China.